Reviews for Guide to getting me to read and review your work
cocolori chapter 1 . 12/15/2006
Okay folks - I suspected this would happen which is why I stressed in my essay that this was only my own opinion and that I didn't expect anyone to follow this just because I said it. It is somewhat hypocritical since I often make mistakes of grammar and spelling and my summaries can be truly aweful - especially for work I submitted years ago but I always check my summaries (and reviews) with at least a cursory read through. As for my vastly inflated ego 'the great cocolori' is only pointing out what puts me off because of the supposition that what puts one potential reader off might also put off others (not an entirely unreasonable assumption) and that people want as many people as possible to read and review their work (also not unreasonable).I'm Done defending myself now.
Formerly chapter 1 . 12/14/2006
Oh, my, I'll make sure all my stories fit these guidelines. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to get reviewed by the great COCOLORI, after all.
doomedbutoverit chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
Thank you for your insights. I am a writer, and its nice to have someone tell me what I need to do better. I am a horrible summary writer...I usually put a one quote from the text and a rating/warning. Thank you for taking the time to write this essay.
Lorendiac chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
I sympathize with much of what you say. I don't automatically refuse to read a story that has one little typo in the summary, but if the spelling is consistently bad, or EVERYTHING is in lowercase when there ought to be some capitalized words and names, then I'm a lot less likely to take the plunge by clicking to see the title.

You said: "Make your summary, you know, a summary!"

One thing I might have added in that portion of your essay: I think there's something silly about people who write a summary that concludes with such words as: "Trust me; it's better than it sounds."

I appreciate that they are trying to be frank and earnest about the fact that the previous portion of their summary may make it sound very much like a thousand other similar works already on FP, but I think that particular display of modesty is best dispensed with entirely. Anyone who's ever written a few summaries of his own on FP (which is almost all of us, right?) should already understand that the summary only mention one or two points about what is going on; it can't possibly tell other people whether or not they will find anything really entertaining the details of plot development and writing style before they go in and take a closer look at the actual material.

I've also been known to suggest that saying "Please R & R" in the summary is redundant. Who on earth would post things on FP if he DIDN'T hope to attract other people's attention, including the occasional bit of feedback from them? It doesn't offend me when people do this in a summary - I don't automatically skip over them because of it - but it does make me feel they're "totally wasting" precious space that could have been used for a few extra words of real summary material :)

And now for the obligatory nitpick!

You said: "If you don’t feel your work doesn’t need a summary (especially with poems and stuff) then just don’t bother!"

I think you have at least one negative too many in there. I might have said:

"If you don't feel your work really needs a summary (especially with poems and stuff), then just don't bother!"
Lora chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
I totally agree with you. Although your title didn't seem that interesting of one I decided to read it anyway to see what you thought. People should have interesting summaries and titles. YOu don't know me but I am not a fiction press user in the fact that I don't have an account but I still like to read peoples' work.
Kohlomere chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
You're totally right. I just think that you could have made the essay pop a little more. It's a good topic and everyone has some experience. Not that I'm asking you to rant, but why not give it a bit of spice? Think about it, E.
Megann.is.usually.my.nick chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
No, you are definately not the only one who feels this way. A summary is what makes me click a story or not. Personally I suck at making them so I would love it if people had some tips on them and wouldn't mind posting them here.

Same thing with titles. I am sure there are many people who have as much problems with creating them as I do. But a title is also very important. Together with the summary it makes for a first impression of a story.

There is something I would like to add to this little ehm essay. Generally I read two or three paragraphs and based on those I will decid whether or not I will continue reading it all the way. So I would like to advise people not to save the best for last, but to try and draw readers into the stories straight away.

Happy writing everyone!