Reviews for The Diary of a Lost Roanoke
Vicki Lawson chapter 6 . 4/30/2020
This makes a lot of sense. Trying to colonize Roanoke Island again.
HLFleming chapter 6 . 10/8/2007
Very interesting premise. I had a hard time getting a good grasp on your main character for the first 2 chapters, but by the end of the third I was able to get a feel for her. Clara's reason for going with Lone Feather are quite believable. I was a bit worried at first because a girl in one of my Creative Writing classes wrote a story along the same lines (though not about Roanoke in particular) and it ended up being a mess. Your story held my attention though, and I enjoyed what you have written of this story.
Methuselah Renard chapter 6 . 5/5/2007
Oh man, this is so awesome. I almost never get to read anything like this! Most people seem to focus on World War II, which gets annoying after a while. I too have always been fascinated by the earliest settlements in America.

I love that Croatoan's name, Lone Feather. And those titles they give each other, snow child, earth child, also cool. This all leads me to believe the best historical fiction to write is for that we know little of (like disappearing civilizations!) Then you're free to make up so many details and not do as much research.

Keep writing!
Michael Panush chapter 6 . 4/26/2007
While I do like the general plot of this story, the whole independent woman loving the Indian thing is done pretty well, but I am a historical stickler, and I recently read Lee Miller's fairly decent book on the Lost Colony, so I've got a couple points. Firstly, the langauge. Now I know some anachronistic updates must happen in order for the story to be legible, but an authentic diary of that time period would have to use authentic langauge conventions. Words like thee, thou, durst, yea, quoth, and things like that. The Lost Colony vanished in Shakespeare's time, and reading his plays, and other literature of the time, Thomas Moore's Utopia, for instance, may give you some idea of what people actually sounded like. Some other things I learned from Lee Miller was that the Lost Colony might have been sabatoged by Sir Francis Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth's spymaster, who had a bone to pick with the colony's sponsor, Sir Walter Raleigh, and arranged for Roanoke to flounder and fail, even dropping them off at teh wrong spot. A mention of him, Raliegh, and the Queen might add to the feel of the story. I'm guessing Lone Feather is Secotan, and judging by the small war the owners of the fort near where the Roanoke colony was built had with that tribe, he might be a little more cautious around the children of snow. The soldiers who came before the colonists ended up killing the son of the Secotan chief in cold blood, and then disease struck and wiped out most of the Indians in the area. The survivors would probably be embittered. It's okay to have a friendly Native American, but you could make him a little bit more wary. Other than that, it was a good start and I truly enjoyed it.
Angelic Brunette Hermione chapter 5 . 1/8/2007
Interesting job so far!
Lady Neferankh chapter 3 . 12/26/2006
Well, the story seems to be going pretty well so far. How will things work out next? When did Lone Feather learn English?Oh, and what will the Council's reaction be?

Can hardly wait to see how you handle all these ideas! You've chosen a really interesting little chapter of American history for your story. Keep going!
Kohlomere chapter 3 . 12/20/2006
Hey S, thanks for updating so quickly! I rather adore George and Thomas. How nice of them to take up for their little sister and against their father at that! Well, the title of this magnificent story is "The Diary of a Lost Roanake" so I don't know what you have planned for the ending, but what if at the end you could have a modern day American or something find the journal? It's just a thought. Keep up the good work, E.
Kohlomere chapter 2 . 12/19/2006
Ah! I can't believe he did that! Out of curiousity, have you ever read any of the Dear America Diaries? But it was marvelous! Please oh please update soon, E.