Reviews for Project Mature Content
DeepAndSoulful chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
I really like what you're trying to do here! Even if it has been 7 years, I really hope you get this review.
Just another person chapter 1 . 2/25/2012
Hey, interesting point you brought up here, I usually check the number of reviews for a story in some point of reading it and I've noticed the same thing.

[When I realise a specific story has 'scenes' in it though, I usually quit reading and go find something else with only a rather irritated attitude]

For myself, I only read Christian fics. Whether based on the bible or real life, it doesn't bother me and if I like a story I always review [if I am able, sometimes my computer just messes up and goes hay-wire when I hit the 'review' button]

I like a bit of romance though, I usually read bible/romance or spiritual/romance

Graphic scenes that are usually found in the 'M' section is not what I like like though, I like romances that can have a fun, spiritual atmostphere that is pleasing in Gods eyes but still have a good plot and interesting characters who /genuinely/ love each other.

Nice point though.
thrivingivory852 chapter 1 . 1/28/2011
I love this and you are so right! Awesome idea and wow can't get over that you 56 reviews on a rated M story. That's so ridiculous! Wow, you've inspired me. Awesome work!
Jerusalem2045 chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
All i can say is: AMEN!

This has really gotten me thinking, because i have noticed this as well. For one the 'Spiritual' Section is probly the smallest one out there. I have also been keenly disappointed in those that rate their stories as 'spiritual' but include very sexual and immoral and even profane material in their stories.

So on that note i am encourage to give, as you say constructive criticism instead of just moving on the next story. Hopefully we will begin a trend :)
Lilly Wattenberg chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
I can understand what your say about reviews. I don't review often but I do read a lot. In fact I'm usually to lazy to sign in and give signed feedback. However when I really love a story or disagree with the opinion or just in general have something to say I will review. Like now: I read rated M material because I know the writing is going to be better. I want a story with good plot and real life actions; most of the time you can find that in T and up.
Jinxed Rogue chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
I choose more stories rated 'M' or 'T' because it usually means the author will typically offer edgier dialog and darker plot twists, not necessarily smut (see Maranwe Telrunya, etc.). There are several writers on the site who have expressed their deep faith in their stories but don't list their category as "Spiritual" but as "Romance/Whatever."

You didn't really define what "Christian" fiction is here. The category "Spiritual" is detracting for 1)non-religious, non-Christian readers and 2) it's ambiguous - is it Bible fanfic? is it action? adventure? romance? horror? fantasy? No one wants to walk into something like that without a clue. It's easier to go with familiar categories when you're browsing.
effervescent-sentiments chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
I'm really not sure you're looking at this from the right angle. I understand you griping about a story rated K getting less reviews than a story rated M, but I know that I am not the only user skeptical about "Christian fiction." Christian fiction has a VERY specific, limited target audience: Christians who practice their religion outside of a building on Sunday. I'm afraid you'll find that number very few.

When I search out a story, yes, I tend to click stories rated "M," but that's less me searching for a good ol' sex scene and more me searching for more MATURE writing. I don't want to read about high school; I want to read about adults encountering adult problems. Whether this comes in the category of Romance, or Sci-Fi, or Historical doesn't matter; all I want is good writing and a good story covering more aspects of life than "Jock vs. Geek." Searching out stories rated M is my futile attempt to come up with a simple way to find good writing.

Try to tell me that if I looked hard enough I'd find the same in a K category. Because truly, if it doesn't have some gritty content, I'm not interested.

Now, what you said about FP having more writers than readers may be true. In fact, I think it's spot-on. What you have to think about is the likelihood of this every changing. You two are saints for going around giving crap writing constructive criticism; I do that myself, but I just don't have time to do it for every thirteen-year-old hopeful. I would, sadly, prefer to read a published book, which might not be of "assured" quality (since some poor writers somehow get published through the industry, too), but at least it's more LIKELY that it'll be a good read and I won't have wasted time reading something neuron-melting.

I don't mean to be critical of you and your friend, I just feel like you are addressing the wrong matters. Religion should have no part in your evaluation of FP reviews; what with today's television-inspired voyeurism, there's no doubt in my mind that people would be wary of Christian fiction. Not even getting into my own religious beliefs, I can tell you that I do not take Christian fiction seriously, and what little I have read I find pretentious and like to propaganda. You havea point about the members of FP being mostly writers and not readers, but I think the better way to go about that is by continuing to lead by example and encouraging people to review other people in return, kind of a Pass-it-On kind of concept, instead of preaching uneducated. :)

Good luck with your own writing! I hope you get lots of reviews.
Alice The Intrigued chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
Interesting but the basic fact is that it's mostly teenagers on this site and more teens like sex than they do god. I mean really, sex is a natural part of life (because living things are supposed to have more than one sexual partner, not that marriage isn't great) and in a stage where males and females are becoming more interested in each other it's obivious that sex would overcome god at this point and life, and frankly if you need reviews to keep writing or to feel better about your writing, you shouldn't be writing in the first place. Stories aren't about you or the amount of reviews you get their about creating a world that others will enjoy. So just my own little opinion but I think that lying about what your story is, is neither the correct thing to do to the readers nor the moral thing to do despite your need for the spirtual section to get more reviews. Sorry if this has hurt your feelings or made you mad, I suppose you'll get around it sooner or later. But I thank you for letting my opinon be expressed and I thank you for allowing me to read yours.
Justin Carlton chapter 1 . 3/16/2008
Apparently all the folks who read stuff online are pervs... You've definitely got a point, and I'm glad you made it.
lux perpetua chapter 1 . 3/11/2008
what a good point! you've definitely inspired me to read and review more stories in the future...

by the way, you have a very nice style - simple, elegant, and clear. You vary your sentence length very nicely, one of the great secrets to good writing.

ps. under the influence recommended your writing.
KimHua chapter 1 . 12/4/2007
Hello, thanks for this. It was good, I thought, that you made what could have been an essay/rant into a semi-story (i.e. with dialogue between you and your friend). The format works well for what you wanted to express.

I think some of the problem has to do with the relative numbers of stories, too - the Spiritual category (according to FP) currently has 3175 stories, whereas Romance has 32197 - over ten times as many.

By the way, where can I find the story you and your friend wrote? :-)
elisefey chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
Thank you so much for writing this! I've noticed that same issue. It's so frustrating. I really appreciate the fact that you performed an experiment to back up your observations (I did a similar experiment and received 48 reviews on just three chapters!). It's refreshing to have someone speak out on this! Thanks!
monochromatic chapter 1 . 8/12/2007
Great idea! I'll try my best to review more. I hadn't really thought of it before. You know, I haven't really thought about how interesting christian fiction could be. I mean I read the books, but i hadnt thought of reading it online. I hadnt actually even seen the category, I either went straight to fantasy or romance. What I thought spiritual was, was like sprits or ghosts or ya know ? Or maybe like some kind of boring meditative stuff. Not really stories with plots or some form of fullness to it. I didn't really think of it as christian fiction. I do really admire you for starting this project. It was really smart, and its very inspiring, so hopefully you'll be hearing more from me.
I Quoth Nevermore chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
Absolutely true. I try to review everything I read. Well, everything that I read that I like, at least. By the way, I love your writing style. Just putting that out there. Now, I must go and review tenfold!
Silveralsa chapter 1 . 6/1/2007
Hear hear! Lol, so well said, me and a friend have thought the exact same thing. :D