Reviews for The Princess and the Soon To Be Eunuch
Dry Pageant chapter 1 . 4/26/2008
Cool...a good one-shot. I'm a fan of short stories so yay, this is definitely a favorite!
gulistala chapter 1 . 4/17/2008
Oh wow! This is brilliant! You never fail to amaze me!

So, she's had a thing for Ink since the beginning, eh? Wow! And the thing with her opinion on conformism and not believing that we are not affected by other people- way to go, girl!

Keep up the good work!

Oh and this is definitely favourited!

gulistanlik
centenarian chapter 1 . 3/26/2008
Like this story. Yes but what annoys me is that you just reminded me that whenever people hear dashboard they all like, you know. Oh, you're trying to be emo whatnot and they'll go insult you and so on. Well, i'd like for once to say, "I like dashboard" without those add ons. I do like them, what's wrong with that? They're pretty good after all. okay, enough about that. yeah...good story so uh, yeah.
Hed in the Cloudz chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
Serious "Nick and Norah's Ultimate Playlist" vibes here, and not in a copycat way, either. I love it! Just two comments: (1) The name, while my reason for reading this, is a bit too long for the story type. I really shouldn't be talking because all of my titles suck, but it just seems too silly; and (2) Charlie's lack of grammar makes her dialogue awkward. She is clearly intelligent, and yet talks as if she...isn't. Some snappy retorts, but even those are phrased oddly. Oh, wait, make that three- Ink wouldn't be that clueless that she likes him, so the "need to rethink this crush" line is infinitely cheesy. But again, this is the best romance I've read on fictionpress. Ever.

Great band name, by the way. Did you make that up?
HelloLovely chapter 1 . 1/17/2008
Ah! I love it. D

Love,

Becca
pete's sake delete the account chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
Genius! Hilarious! Adorable! I love Charlie, and Ink is funny as heck.
Sweet Child chapter 1 . 1/5/2008
That was a nice piece. I like Ink. He's... cool. As for Charlie, she was really interesting. And don't you love it when a girl knows how to play the guitar well? Sadly, most really good guitar players are guys. Anway, loved th one-shot.
Kaede Kitsurani chapter 1 . 12/17/2007
That was really good. Nice job. )
wolf parade chapter 1 . 11/14/2007
I've read this story quite a few times now mainly because I like Charlie so much, but I've a complaint to make.

Are you listening comfortably? Then I'll begin.

I don’t have much time, but in essence, I disagree with what you’re saying; non-conformism does exist, but you’re right, not in the conventional way. Charlie’s argument is right, but it’s easily defeated. What you’re committed, perhaps accidentally, is the sin of setting up a bifutical argument. This argument basically states that there are only two options when in reality there are more.

Within your argument Charlie seems to state that there are only two things you can be ‘conformist’ and ‘non-conformist’ and the difference between them is how they react. Unfortunately (for society) you’re all too right. However, what about the concept of Original Thought? That is non-conformism in its true sense, thinking ‘outside the box’ as it were. (That’s almost painfully ironic.) Anyway, there have been so many examples of Original Thought; Plato in his ‘Republic’ where he goes against the trend of the day and claims a use for women. Darwin/Evolution, Copernicus/heliocentric model, Luther/Reformation. They were non-conformists by going against society’s norms. Therefore non-conformism does exist but only in a shady grey area and certainly not amongst the youth of today. (Before I sound too much like a pretentious git, I’m in your year.)

Anyway, I hope I’ve managed to get that across correctly. Please feel free to disagree as ferociously as you feel like and lambast me without being periphrastic, I hope I’ve made sense.

-flummoxed
Colie Rae chapter 1 . 11/6/2007
I love the portrayal of the characters. How there were not too many and many of them didn't get a huge personality across. You just got the main ones out there and the image of the others. I loved Charlie's bluntness.
Suneri chapter 1 . 10/30/2007
Very nice.

Charlie was a *tad* on the cliche side for me, but I do still love her, which is what matters, in my opinion. You made her awesome and lovable, if a bit one-dimensional. Still, she has a very lovely, individual, and consistent voice throughout this.

Ink was very nicely characterized here, though. I love his attitude.

Oh, and? Charlie's being ambitious and wanting to go to college? Awesome.
alitalia chapter 1 . 10/20/2007
this is a really good oneshot! perfect in length, and as always, great writing style and voice :)

love it!
Bee chapter 1 . 10/8/2007
Ugh, this story is the most annoying sort of cliche. The whole "regular in a music venue" tripe in itself is pretty irritating, but coupled with Charlie and her oh-so-original ideas... blah. Nice rant on conformity (with Charlie as a mouthpiece), but unfortuntately, Charlie conveniently left out a few subtle nuances in the actual definition of conformity which basically invalidates her argument. The mention of Ayn Rand wasn't even unexpected, and the jabs at so-called slutty musicians in order to emphasize Charlie's *natural* beauty and superiority over them were, expected, but nonetheless met with much disappointment. You could have done much better with this story if it hadn't been so apparent that you were trying so damn hard. Okay, I'll say it, even if I have no right to. I'm disappointed, I really am, because I read your "Post-Its" story, and though that isn't by any means a perfect story, it was fresh and funny. Your writing style really gets me(in a good way). It's really "teenager,"-youthful, cute, sarcastic, entertaining, a little immature, sweet, clever. Sigh.
d666lisa chapter 1 . 10/7/2007