Reviews for I'm Not Much of a Gardener
Anna Christie chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
You are such an amazing poet! I swear, I wish I could convey such beautiful things the way you do!

My favorite lines were:

"I keep a gulp of your words in a glass blue

bottle I bought in Paris when I wasn’t thirsty.

Five Euros seemed a fair price

to catch indigo light at my window,"

And:

"Pollen filled tulips, more petal than stem."

Very beautiful piece, keep writing!
viennacantabile chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
i really, really adore this poem. it makes me think of strange and wonderful, beautiful foreign cities and situations, and it's going on favorites right now.

i think it's interesting how you write 'glass blue bottle' instead of what i think is normally heard ('blue glass bottle'). i'm probably just shooting in the dark, but i really like the effect.

i'm also intrigued by your use of the word 'slurping'-can't really explain why. it's not necessarily that it doesn't fit, it just gives such a great contrast to the european photograph feel i get from that stanza. :D (i can't stand carbonated water, btw. it *is* horribly bitter.x_x)

the thing about this is that i don't really feel like there's a definite ending-maybe there isn't supposed to be one? in my opinion, the penultimate line actually seems to work better as the final line, with the order reversed. but that might completely change the meaning of what you're going for.

in any case, i really, truly love this. it's absolutely beautiful. :D
Faithless Juliet chapter 1 . 3/18/2007
Beautiful - the idea of Paris - a romantic city filters through this piece. The love that is so present yet also hidden from the reader. It is not a clear love story, or written in obvious love-story form. It tells of a more beautiful side to love, that we all long for, but I don't think that very many of us, if any of us, ever achieve it. It's odd to me, how so much of the population wants a truer form of compassion and love but so few are willing to work for it.

The idea of the keeping things in the glass. It makes me think of writing a love letter and throwing it out into the ocean to see where it might end up.

Needing something to grow inside of it, something beautiful.

I love how you describe how poems should be (for this fits the picture perfectly.) As usual you move me with your work. It's bursting with your youth, that I confess, I wish that I could write with such honesty when I was your age. Again, beautiful, and I am sorry that it's taken me so long to review this. I'm not a big fan of the new Fictionpress look/design and I've been absent of late (for more then just that) but I miss the good old days when everyone posted something each day and we had the strong community of writers. I think that the new design detracts from that. But, that's just me. So keep up the good work, and continue to write. I'll come back and check your page regularly.

Much love, and with great admiration.

Juliet.
tangelos chapter 1 . 2/26/2007
Really liked the whimsicality of these lines-"Five Euros seemed a fair price/to catch indigo light at my window,

/even if it meant slurping bitter soda water". The movements between the idea of gardening, the cryptic mention of a 'you' in lines like 'I don't keep everything you say' and your views on poems in the last 2 stanzas are a little strange to me, but they do enhance the aforementioned whimsicality... Do keep writing!
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 1/11/2007
This is such a gorgeous piece. All the images are so delicate in nature - much like poetry in general. Poems are very fragile things, and a blue bottle and tulips and water are equally so. Just pretty pretty pretty. I feel like a girl traipsing through a field of daisies reading this. Thank you for writing such a lovely piece. Favoriting. Keep writing! :)
clockwork kiss chapter 1 . 12/27/2006
very gorgeous. i like the simplicity and the gritty details you throw in. the ending seems like the author's going off on a tangent, but still keeps with the idea of the poem. it fits well, and the whole thing developes really nicely. only critique is that the word 'organism' doesn't seem to fit what you're describing. it's too scientific and concrete when the rest of the poem is dreamy and surreal. i dunno. that's the only thing though. i really enjoyed this. :)