Reviews for Faustus: Well, Not Exactly
DemonicBlackCat chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
Oh, Gosh.. I really do think you have a knack to take the usual myth and modify it with your own wonderful twist. This is a really great story, and I just have to applaud you at your choice for names. Those are catchy names, and already you got me hooked.
Kackex chapter 10 . 12/28/2008
Simply amzaing. The use of irony and superstitions in the story. King Terrance was the traditonal "Big Glutton" that amused me to no end. Clancys boring sterotypical life of a "code monkey" or shall I say "code demon" was quite amusing. Allen was my favorite since he used his free time to "improve human life." The ending was classic in many ways that left it open to many other ideas that may come to at a latter date. I recommend this tale for anyone that wants a good laugh and not so traditonal fantasy. And please Keep writing, would you kindly.

- Kackex
fictionalboyfriend chapter 2 . 11/20/2008
Okay. I came here intending to read I Do Believe in Faeries, but I found this and fell promptly in love. The touch of Terry Pratchett is just noticeable beneath a well-written and engaging story. Doesn't hurt that I love the Faust myth, as well.
deletethisaccountplease9 chapter 9 . 8/6/2007
LOL ) Well, I must say, that was quite amusing. It reminded me of the Artemis Fowl series (and, seeing as that is one of my favorite series', that is a huge complement ;) ) You have a real gift for snappy dialogue which kept the entire thing moving at a humorous pace. At the end, I like how you tie it up with a bit of philosophy. I find that the best fantacy novels I have read always try to tie philosophy with magic, and always come out with a great ending. You kept up with that trend. I found myself wanting more at the end, but I guess that is the curse of the reader.

Thanks for sharing :)
Colton M. H chapter 10 . 8/3/2007
I finished reading it finally. Good story. A very interesting outlook on it, portrays something so many find evil as merely just us. I'm sure you've heard that before, and if you haven't. then I guess I'm the first to point it out. I really liked how you had the character's have actual good personalities instead of having no personalities really. It was very interesting.
Colton M. H chapter 2 . 8/3/2007
Oops. I just saw that there were more chapters. Good job, all the same.
Colton M. H chapter 1 . 8/3/2007
I liked that. I found it good.
Neither chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
Hey, I read your profile and decided to read some of your work. I must say that I agree with you about Fictionpress being predominantly ruled by the female persuasion, being a male writer myself in a sea of women. Anyway, on to the review.

You're obviously a very talented writer, and your descriptions are sometimes humorous in a refreshing way (irate jello...)You bring humor into description too, not just dialogs, which is key in humor writing. The only critique I have is that it sometimes gets a little wordy, or overly-descriptive, which happens to me way to often so thats the only reason I really noticed it. I didn't read for grammar cause you obviously have way more chapters than this and probably don't care.

Okay, I'm going to go read those now. Great job.
WyrdWolf chapter 9 . 3/26/2007
Aha! He's back! And with a sword-toting backstabber, no less. Crazy as Damien is, he's not about to take on a staff of worked demons. Good idea.

'At last, one of the courtiers pointed to Clancy. The demon was looking at the floor, sheepishly. “Is he going to eat us?”

“No.”

“How about defile our women?”

“No.”

“Corrupt our children with loud music?”

“No.”'

Outstanding, once more. I am loving these dialogues, be they long or short, and I especially fell apart at the last two lines. Can't have demons become predictable, now can we?

Finished. You know, I feel like I've been washed with liquid peace. It feels good. This was a great story and one of the few on this site that I enjoyed reading; great job writing, great characters...I honestly can't think of a criticism.

Commendable!

WyrdWolf chapter 8 . 3/20/2007
Thrust away in the middle of a date with a succubus. Pity.

Damien, you have just defined 'forehead-smacking moment.' Wow.

...that was possibly one of the best dialogues I've ever read. That was just outstanding. So Terrence has become a demon? Unbelievably cool. So now I assume Terrence is going to be suddenly whooshed back to the date?

I wonder if that would impress a gal like Marissa.

*smirk*

Just saw one error; you spelled 'suit' as 'suite'. Very, very fun chapter.

WyrdWolf chapter 7 . 3/14/2007
*grins* Terrence. Amazing what an hour's stay in the underworld can do to change a man, no?

"I don't know. Just keep driving. Maybe it'll go away." He's in denial! And that was also funny. A twofer.

Well, there's -definitely- sexism up above, but that goes without saying. Still, at least Eleanor's potential harm was interrupted by Clancy doing something uncharacteristically stupid. I very much like the way you depicted the courtier's sword on the stone. With the brevity. It was cool. I enjoyed it. Three word sentence.

Yeah.

Sorry I haven't reviewed in a while, but life is...is...is a vaccum that sucks up my time.

feeder chapter 10 . 3/10/2007
I really enjoyed reading this you know.

I see from your profile that you like Terry Pratchett - it shows, but in a good way. You seem to share a similar sense of humor.

I like that the demons had to do paperwork - bureacracy is a wonderful thing. You're characters are nicely portrayed too, I especially like Terence, although I'm not sure why exactly.

There's not really anything else to say that hasn't already been said, so basically, well done, this is good.
WyrdWolf chapter 6 . 3/5/2007
Alan's homely? And here I pictured him as rather dashing. Hm, I must have missed something. Then again, I never purposely picture a character as ugly.

'It felt like someone had sawed a diseased leg off her soul.' Random...yet very imageriffic.

I like that demons have rather colloquial, natural language; nothing stiff or formal. Greatly adds to their contrast from the mortal world and its inhabitants.

*laughs* The 'imperor'. Outstanding. Marissa seems to be an unappreciated part of the work force...hm, is there sexism in the underworld, too? Doesn't seem too far-fetched.

*whistles* I wonder what -would- happen if Clancy decided to give the technology...or lack thereof of the 16th century some tips. Probably they'd just end up killing each other before the next millenia, hm? _ And I hope they take his advice about the mecahnical spiders. I've never seen, read, or heard about anything where mech spiders actuall benefitted society.

Still loving this story.

WyrdWolf chapter 5 . 3/2/2007
You know, seeing sinners eaten by polar bears would be a pretty radical form of entertainment...*muses*

Very good depth into demons, with the vision, and a logical explanation. I love it.

*whistles* And Clancy is discovered. You know, I'd think Eleanor wouldn't be as scared of him if she knew his name was Clancy. Still, I wonder how they're going to make he keep quiet about it.

*laughs* Well struck, Terrence. Well, I guess he knows what he's doing.

...

...that was a joke. Come on. Laugh.

I look forward to seeing their...er...'date.'

WyrdWolf chapter 4 . 2/24/2007
Well, no surprise that there are evil vending machines in the underworld. Where else would they be?

'Shock crackled under the words.' Very, very cool use of words there. Absolutely awesome.

*laughs hysterically* Clancy, I love ya. Allen, your naievete is like music to my ears; he's a quick learner, though, he'll get it. Terrence, I'm so glad you exist to make unbelievably stupid, impulsive decisions. I'll say it again, this is fantastic.

50 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »