Reviews for smoke stacked blues
smile for the sunshine chapter 1 . 11/5/2007
This is well written too. I think it's funny that you use two of the vocabulary words that I need to know for class. Muddle and stagnant...I think the use of those uncommon words helped to make your poem something newer. I like new. Some of the poems on this site are just too trite. But this one was not. Good work. )
Militant Poet chapter 1 . 6/23/2007
Very bluesy, I like how the poem flows!
Karine Dragon'sheart chapter 1 . 1/28/2007
Huh...I put this to good old blues, and it's just like listening to my dad's old records again...Long time no see, eh? *chuckles* Glad you like my latest...Yeah, I should have done stanzas, but...I don't know. The words spilled out almost as prose...and they seemed just a little too...oh, what's the word? Simplistic? I dunno...whenever I think of the old days and the old folk...I don't see stanzas and verses...just rolling imagery far as the eye can see...and that's a rather bizarre description, but oh well...Must get back to reviewing your work! It always put a smile on my face.

no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 1/25/2007
I like this a lot. It has that bluesy feel that makes the language you've used really appropriate. I think this piece really gets stronger as it rolls on, with the lines about the "rotting princess" and "smoke-stacked six-string" being my favorites. Great work. Keep writing! :)
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 1/23/2007
Quite lyrical. The audible nature that this lends itself to is apparent in the way that you've woven and spaced the rhyme and meter. I very much like the voice, the real, everyday language of it really gives the reader, or listener, as the case may be a better sense of the situation, and the background of the speaker-singer. "I had to leave that rotting princess-lying on the bathroom tiles...", is so specific, and bluesy-if bluesy is a word. The entire work has a Robert Johnson-Joe Turner kind of feel to it. Which is a great sound to exude I would say. "I've figured that much out anyhow." is a magnificent ending, as it not only recalls the earlier line, "I'd have figured it out anyway", but adds the more folksy, "anyhow" to conclude on a linguistic twist. Excellent sound. MD:77.
Naibz chapter 1 . 1/22/2007