Reviews for Whatever Happened to Postcards
felicia13 chapter 1 . 2/15/2007
Each stanza is like a flashback through time and I think that's possibly the best thing about this poem. The last three stanzas are quite powerful. And they read nicely, too. Like a diamond, perhaps?

Felicia.
Aquafied chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
have you ever tried to glue together shattered pieces of a heart?
Elenive chapter 1 . 2/1/2007
"Torn in the places where hands could hold on."

Incredible finish. These lines amplify the pain felt in the stanzas above them.

"Georgia was gone from the day you left."
emeraude-irlandais chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Gorgeous concluding stanza- some odd spacing though. Intentional, I would assume, but why? I suppose it did lend a halting sense of memories being drawn back, but at the expense of fluidity- oh, who am I to criticize you. Geez. "green apple days" is perfect, there are too many levels to that to take it all in just once. ~bella~
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 1/25/2007
The ending of this is striking and unexpected. I do think that the short lines detract from the piece, and it felt very awkward when I was reading it, both silently and aloud. And I'm not sure if that's because of the line breaks or the stanza breaks (which I kind of feel are unnecessary) or what. I'm also not quite a fan of how the rhythm and slight rhyme you have going on in the first few stanzas disappears as we get to the end. I feel like you should either abolish it in the first place or have it continuous. Hmm. Not your strongest piece, but the emotion is still there. Keep writing! :)
Smoky Bear chapter 1 . 1/25/2007
you've captured the essence of a postcard in poetry... beyond merely writing about it... this has a quality that snapshots ideas and images and is composite in reflection of the theme. the vibrant colours, the use of yellow and green particularly made me smile. and while this has a sad undertone it's quite uplifting. it's got a strong blues sentiment and would work perfectly as lyrics.
KojiTheBean chapter 1 . 1/24/2007
I really love the way that the form of the poem mirrors the theme of the postcard- everything written is short, perhaps cryptic in specific detail, but by the end the emotions are vibrant. Thanks for a great read!
crazy dog events chapter 1 . 1/24/2007
It feels fractured, stilted, but that itself feels almost intentional. It's a continuous narrative, but each stanza feels like one of those postcards, I guess. I'm not quite as fond of it as I am the rest of your work, but I have a feeling this one might grow on me, if I sit on it for a while. I'm putting this in my bookmarks, as a sort of experiment.
eldrin chapter 1 . 1/24/2007
The use of postcards is perfect in this piece as they have such a nostalgic away-from-here connotation. Postcards, for me at least, are always a way of looking back and already seem like memories even before they're read.

"Read like a diamond each time" is wonderful and transfers a precious and priceless importance onto the postcards with a sad beauty. "Wasps flew in yellow-/brown brigades dismayed" is one of the most perfect descriptions I've seen of these creatures.

I love this piece...it raises such a flood of memories for me outside of the poem itself. But that's what's so splendid about it: you tell one story, but use such imagematic phrasing and once-in-a-lifetime-but-for-everyone description that it's impossible that your words don't strike everywhere.

Excellent poem.
Naibz chapter 1 . 1/24/2007
dunno what to say about this one... I like the last 3 lines. memories can hurt sometimes.