Reviews for The Wizard of Bright Isle
juz-crys chapter 12 . 7/30/2007
very, very well written story. one of the best i've read so far. keep up the good job. you've got my attention on this piece.

kind of realised that the two boys are getting a little close, might wanna consider changing the story's rating if the story is bordering on yaoi..
RahXephon chapter 11 . 7/18/2007
You've written a great read. I especially admire the professional writing skill. The story and setting are only mildly original, but it is captivating nonetheless. Though I'm 100 percent homophobe, I'm not that disturbed if the two boys ever get involved. It's actually quite heartwarming.
Sandster chapter 10 . 6/16/2007
A fantastic story thus far. I do hope you're inclined to continue, as I find myself wonderfully lost in the world and characters you've created. A job well done.
SequinPurse chapter 9 . 6/13/2007
This is *so* good, it's like a book or something... Awesome, wish I could write this well _

Heh, it even has that one relationship in it that is always rather ambiguous. I don't think you'll turn the Kieran/Edouard interaction into anything romantic but I can't help seeing it that way. (Since I noticed your other story involves a gay romance.) Of course, if it stays platonic I won't mind and would most likely read to the end to see what happens, just because I like it and fantasy has always been one of my weaknesses :)
In Darkest Night chapter 8 . 4/10/2007
I suppose the guards get ladies running away all the time...I do so wonder if they might play both sides, and give away the women for a reward from their fathers or betrothed.

Heston has issues. Really. I feel sorry for his people with such a weak king. Though I suppose it is something that he is not a heartless bastard. And his character IS unique...normally his role is filled by the weepy mother always putting on airs.

Colwyn knows something, hmm? Interesting...

Divwall's powers are interesting, as well, lol. That must be useful, when keeping out intruders and the like...

This entire chapter has the feel of a...scrap book, almost. Each "page" one of the sections, with a "picture" and slight description. Over all, though, this entire story seems as a puzzle, each new chapter giving the reader pieces about various characters to apply, filling in the blanks randomly as we read.

This story is growing on me, rapidly, and I am happy Edouard managed to get outside, and actually EXPERIENCE it, once in his life. I would have expected his character to be whiny and/or morose...though I guess having your own private mage definitly helps with the outdoor experience. I bet they don't even have to worry about bugs.

Is it just me or do Landon and Justus seem to be chronic vallium users and way too knowledgable for a servant? Even or especially one in the Prince's service. Are they some kind of plant by Fate (I have no doubt, the little trip would be a disaster if it had been just Kieran or Edouard) or am I reading too much into them...?
In Darkest Night chapter 5 . 4/10/2007
Dun, dun, dun. The plot thickens. Sort of. However, I find it hilarious that almost no one likes Imbario, yet somehow the cheating bastard managed to beguile a king, without anyone stopping him when he COULD be stopped. His character is a convenient antagonist, sure, and, by the gods, a smart one as well? Amazing. No little annoying, as well. Is the man's only motivation in life the holding of his position? Has he no designs on the king's title? Maybe being a Shadow Ruler? Why did he make the rash choice to off poor little upstart servant apprentice Kieran instead of maybe converting and using his powers? Frankly, I am disapointed in the rest of the King's council and the other wizards, for allowing Imbario his influential post. Blind, one and all. He may be powerful, but whats one against ten or more of moderate-to-high talent and power?

Aista has designs of a not-so-negative-type on Colwyn? Interesting...

Aww, Kieran would die for Edouard? Sweet. They don't even know each other yet...Though I think I'd rather prefer Kieran LIVED for Edouard.

Anyways...This story is sending two tones, for me anyways. One: rushed, in places. Two: sped up, in places. The feeling of a diary, some entries are packed full of information and emotion, some have a more meaningless feel, a record.

It's an interesting, slow, approach to a fantasy story that I don't think I have EVER seen. I really am looking foreward to when all this carefully cultivated placancy collapses. See what happens. If it does, that is...
Callitha chapter 1 . 3/20/2007
Very well written first chapter, professional quality! I like how you balance description and action. The setting is very clear at the beginning of the chapter, but when Lord Machura finds Kieran it is unclear where he is. I assume outside, but at the edge of the forest? or perhaps on the road? That can be described as he falls onto the ground perhaps. I suggest clarifying the storm there as well, as I did not know it was there until the wizard said so at the end.
Alteng chapter 7 . 3/16/2007
Although I say that I will not come back to a story without the favor reviewed, I can't help it (and you update on Friday morning . . . my day off). Kieran reminds me too much of Galen. He's so sweet.

I like the beginning of this chapter with the decussion of the blood. Sefrin is a sharp on for a medieval setting. Still, anything is possible in a fantasy world.

You write Sefrin well in this argument, and you are still able to maintain some narrow mindedness with him. It is a hard line to walk. Sefrin seems to be a man of science only, whereas Imbario is a man of magic only.

Somehow I am not surprised that Imabrio has Madrin bone powder. What does it do for him. Keeps him youthful for the the time being? He will be very eager to get more once he runs out.

I take it that Imbario is sensing the unintentional power of Kieran. Of course, I cannot imagine what good Kieran got from this experience. It will make Imbario suspicious.

And the dream in the previous chapter is coming true. Just wonder what the academy will think with Kieran missing for a few days, and what will Heston do about his missing son. Their absence will surely be noted.
Alteng chapter 6 . 3/9/2007
Okay, I have hit this chapter hot off the press.

I would think that the vision that Kieran had would have to do with him going on the hunt for the madrin he knows. Hey, they seem to have a good repoire. Get the madrin to lick the prince. Of course, that could get messy when the prince doesn't have the magic. Hey, it speculating.

I am rather surprised at Divwall's reaction. Are the wizards outside the king's rule? Maybe there would be a revolution? This is indeed a mess.

I can't help but like Edouard too. He's rather a sweet fellow. Of course, the comment could be from his father that he was intended to rule the people, and he would make a good ruler, compared to some peasant boy that means nothing. This is why he is more important.
In Darkest Night chapter 6 . 3/8/2007
I admit right now: I had doubts about this story. All of them are pretty much seen through, but I'm still enjoying the time I spend reading this story ;) I keep expecting something utterly horrible and unexpected to happen...and so far, this story hasn't had any of those, and has been a nice change of pace. Actually using plot, even in a manor that is almost purely cliche, to the betterment of the story. In other words, nice job ;)

Kieran is adorable and a lovable character, I'm glad you have him as a main...And, if as the story is hinting towards, he and Edouard 'get together' they would balance each other out very nicely...Though I would sincerely like to see more of Edouard's POV ;)
Alteng chapter 5 . 3/6/2007
Okay, I am caught up.

Your story is really interesting, and Kieran's reaction is interesting. It makes him more likeable in that. It is funny that the only way that the king and wizard can think of is to completely drain Kieran of all of his blood. Damn vampires indeed! Come on, just a pint might be useful, now mightn't it!

I am still terribly suspicious of Imbario! I think he is behind all of this. Oh well, suspicious minds.
Alteng chapter 4 . 3/5/2007
I've been rather sick the last few days, and I haven't had much of a chance to read. So, I'm back!

Kieran is just too sweet. What can I say. It is convenient that he is in the same year and class as Tank. Of course, I don't know if I would be so happy about Tank asking questions about the Madrin incident.

I am starting to wonder about the royal wizard of Heston's court. I kind of think that the royal family is under a curse to oust them. Poor Edouard!
Falkner chapter 1 . 3/2/2007
Good start to the story; I really like Kieran in all his innocence. The description and writing was really good overall. It'll be interesting to see what comes next.
Alteng chapter 3 . 2/26/2007
Poor Edouard! I feel for him. I would guess that Kieran's job might be to find out wht is wrong with him when you get that far.

The school is interesting without it seeming to be too much like Hogswart. I guess everyone compares these kinds of stories to Harry Potter nowadays.

Tank seems to be a very fun loving type of character. It would be nice to see one of the aristrocrats that is not a snot. It keeps it from being so stereotypical in that manner . . . well, sort of. There are always those who go against the grain,

The meeting with Divwall was frightening. Kieran must have filled his pants indeed at the thought he might be conditioned.
Alteng chapter 2 . 2/24/2007
Kieran reminds me of my character Galen, because he is so innocent of things. There is come nice tension between the classes going on here with Asita. She could prove to be quite an interesting little piece, because of her fascination with Colwen. Maybe she likes him because he will say what he feels is right regardless of her feelings or where she stands on issues.

The bit about the rogue wizards was interesting as well. There is quite a bit of room for something to the contrary there.

The Hedge Wizard thing was interesting as well. I wonder if Kieran's teacher only dropped out because of a difference of opinion and not lack of skill.
95 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 Next »