Reviews for A Term Abroad
Quiggley W. MacGuffin chapter 17 . 1/16/2009
i love how travis had this presence through his letters and such... he was definitely a very real character, even being not present in the story. the quotes from his letters, at just the right moments, a great little device. however, i never really felt that resolved. after alec picked up the letter and started to read it, i thought maybe there would be a discussion about it, or some kind of resolution. andi gets over it, but that just didn't seem like enough.

overall, a very cute and well-written story. some typos here and there, especially in the later chapters.
Quiggley W. MacGuffin chapter 13 . 1/15/2009
ah, guy fawkes. the only man to ever enter parliament with honest intentions.
jenniff chapter 18 . 6/10/2008
i would LURVVE a sequel to this :)
PeterMoore chapter 6 . 9/20/2007
luv it!
artistic dreamer chapter 17 . 7/13/2007
omg! this story is so sweet! alec and andi have sucha cute romantic relationship. but i hafta say the best part in your story are those little references to books music and what not, i love those music lyrics...it is music lyrics right? anyway the sayings that separates Andi and Alec's pov, those are really cool and it fits so well to that chapter! you must listen to a LOT of music! haha, pride and prejudice is one of my favorite books and i've always wanted to find a Mr. Darcy for myself too! haha, well, great job on your story! hope to read more soon!
sweets555 chapter 17 . 6/16/2007
cute! near-perfectly written, and its interesting! great job, i love it! (and the dashboard confessional experts didnt hurt...)

cant wait to see what else youve written
mushy apple chapter 6 . 5/19/2007
Hi, it's me again. Your reply automatically deleted your email address. Don't worry, I wasn't offended by the inaccuracies, they just seemed to spoil the story a bit! I understand that the quote about leaving democracy suggests ignorance on the part of the character...

A quick note about the British university system: it's complicated (as it's governed by 900 years of tradition). There are three classes of university depending on age, Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge, the two oldest and most prestigious unis), the Red Brick universities (so called for their architecture - these date from the 19th and early 20th centuries) and more modern universities, generally referred to as former polytechnics, which are generally the least prestigious, unless for more practical subjects such as nursing, arts etc. At university in the UK, unlike the US, you have already chosen which topic you want your degree in. E.g., I'm doing BA French Studies. (Technically, you 'read' a subject, but that sounds too formal. most people say they 'study' or 'do' English lit. or whatever) However, many universities allow or encourage you to take additional modules outside your set topic which will contribute to your final degree.

The system for student exchange is slightly more complicated between the US and the UK than between the UK and other European countries (under the Erasmus scheme). However, there are schemes in place to allow exchanges such as the Fulbright scheme (see w-fulbright-dot-co-dot-uk). If the student isn't part of a scholarship scheme, they are likely to have to pay their full tuition fees at the uni since the British government won't provide any subsidies. In England you have to pay around £30 a year to go to uni (it's less in Wales, and I don't really know about Scotland and Northern Ireland).

There are some differences in US-British vocab, which the British characters are unlikely to use unless deliberately trying to make things easier for an American or have spent large amounts of time in the US, i.e. pants refers to underwear, trousers for what goes on top, mum for mom (reflecting differing pronunciation).

And the whole going to Harvard thingy... If I'm right that they're at Cambridge Uni, not Anglia Ruskin (a polytechnic at Cambridge), they're already at one of the most prestigious universities in the world. It's unlikely that unless they REALLY want to specialize in American law, that after Cambridge University, they'll do further studies in the US, instead of continuing studies in the UK, either at Cambridge or elsewhere such as the London School of Economics and Political Science (or LSE for short), which is renouned as one of the best places in the UK to study law etc. Unless of course, they're using it as an excuse to have a jolly to the other side of the Atlantic...
mushy apple chapter 5 . 5/18/2007
The story idea is ok, and your writing style is good, but there are a lot of inaccuracies concerning the United Kingdom (university system, geography and terminology etc.) which destroys any verisimilitude. For example, at university, you don't major at a subject, since you generally already specialise in one (for example, you might 'read English literature'). And terminology such as 'England', 'English', 'British' and 'Scottish' appear to be confused. And it's unlikely that people would study Law at Harvard since it is uncompatible with the British legal system. And suggesting that she is 'leaving everything [she] know[s], including democracy' is incredibly inaccurate. The United Kingdom is a democratic country, even if it isn't a federal republic.

I don't mean to criticise, but there's a lot of holes. You can find out a lot of information on the web, such as on wikipedia ( en. for a start), or on which is the official website for university applications in the UK and might give a rough idea of what the university system is like.
Maggeria chapter 13 . 5/12/2007
OMG...I ADORE THIS! Andi is so wonderful, and Alec..well..i'd be kicking his ass and murdering him for dating that bitch sid...im really getting into the story so hurry up and update!

Hugs and kisses!

Allison
wizkid08 chapter 1 . 5/5/2007
I love this. Your writing style just pulls me in.

Haha, English boys are pretty cool, I must admit. Then again, so are Scottish ones...there's just something about not being able to understand a person...

Thanks for writing this!
daddy bear chapter 11 . 4/21/2007
looks pretty good to me.
pleasebequiet chapter 11 . 4/20/2007
she was on her period?ouchie. MIDOL!lmaoXD. update soon!
FireFallon chapter 11 . 4/20/2007
I have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that Andi is pregnant...hmm...maybe...maybe not...what will the next chapters bring :) update soon!
pleasebequiet chapter 10 . 4/17/2007
SCREW SID! ARGH! andi!andi!andi!andi!andi!update soon!
FireFallon chapter 9 . 4/14/2007
This story is really cute. I love it. Andi and Alec just need to get together already! :) But still you did an amazing job, just letting you know.

Fallon