Reviews for The Feng Shui of Review
ANH chapter 1 . 4/10/2013
I'm making a habit of returning reviews, regardless of whether I end up deleting my stories or not (I'm really critical of my own writing and lately I'd rather read what everyone else is writing than write my own stories anyways). I just appreciate whenever someone takes the time out of their day and show any kind of interest in my work. Whether you review anything I post or not, I don't mind, this was helpful.
Ava Jones chapter 2 . 4/7/2013
This was a very informative essay. I've just recently begun to thank people who fave, alert, and review my work. I should be more grateful when people show an interest in my stories.
Hurricane Tea Cup chapter 1 . 3/28/2013
Thanks so much! This has been really helpful to me, I've favorited both the 'story' and you. I'll try to use the information in my stories from now on

Hurricane Tea Cup
BloodWillSpill chapter 1 . 3/1/2013
Two words: Thank You

I really appreciate your insightful essay and I saw some of my habits in this. I always thank my reviewers through PM and/or review their work. And I hate when people don't respond back. I can only hope more people read this and get better review skills. Thanks again :)
Roka Polaris chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
This was really interesting. Even though it states lots of the thing I already do in my reviews, I could learn the one or the other thing from this. I have experienced that if I give the kind of reviews that I would like to get, it will often get me very nice and helpful reviews in return instead of just 'meh'.
Magpie Girl chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
Wow, this was helpful! As this is the first time I've joined a writing community like this, I was seriously confused about how I was going to go about the task of writing a helpful critique and not something like "gj keep up the work".

So, thank you!
DeltheDreamer chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
This was very helpful.
Gossamers-ink chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Wow, this was very enlightening (as someone who only recently joined the site) and definitely good advice. Especially avoiding cliches and reviewing as you go. I've had english teachers break some of these review guidelines (namely the repetition of the same critique such as they're/their/there). I would add, however, that people shouldn't bee afraid to erase part of their review, especially on the cliche or confusing bits, if that aspect to the story changes later.
Claire LeBoeuf chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
Lol, I'm glad someone finally wrote this. reviews are a bit of a touchy topic on an online publishing site this, as most people have varying opinions on what constitutes a 'good review'.
Anyways, good job!
-Claire
Abbytjie chapter 2 . 4/28/2012
I love the way you set this out, and you're very good at explaining things on a realistic level. I have no CC to offer you, simply because I find no fault.

I am a bit of a 'meh' reviewer and I'll remember to give better reviews from now on, thanks to you.

PS: I would love to be in Pay it Forward.
Onearmwonder21 chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
This was a very informative guide, however, I would like to know more of why returning reviews is considered a good thing. I myself usually thank my reviews, but I hardly ever return reviews to them. Am I doing something wrong? I do review a ton of people who have work in the just in section though.

See-

-((To attract reviews, returning reviews is usually a good policy.))

Kitty
Love-Missile F1-11 chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
This was useful.

Although you could have mentioned something about those "Review games" forums, where each person has to review the person who posted before. Sometimes is the only way to attract attention among this huge ammount of fics.
Vivace.Assai chapter 2 . 2/24/2012
I've been reading some of your essays, and this one was definitely interesting. I feel so enlightened after reading your essays since they carry such interesting (and rather true) knowledge and ideas. Reading this one about reviews really did help me get better as a reviewer, and I thank you for sharing this with us!

Signing off...
Silverleaf of the Forest chapter 2 . 1/4/2012
I'm afraid I'm often guilty of 'meh' reviews. It's rare that they're only a sentences long, but so often they are full of those random 'I like peanut' comments. I am getting better, I think, and hopefully this guide will help too!
Silverleaf of the Forest chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
I never thought about it before, but you are so very right in your opening when you say that "it is ironic that, in a day when so many people would rather talk then listen, so few people review Fictionpress stories yet still clamor to hear commentary on their own work." Huh. I'd blame laziness more than anything else when it comes to my semi sporadic reviews.

Your advice on giving reviews is really helpful, and when I saw it I thought about opening up a review box but decided against it. For me, that takes away from my enjoyment of the story, or, in this case, essay, and I give that a higher priority than reviewing. I usually read through once and then skim over a second time as I review.

What you said about names is also true. In fact, I was drawn to you in part by your name. I wonder what my name says to other people?

On a different note, are you still returning reviews four years after this was published? If you are, I would appreciate you looking at "Rathsmantha."

Thank you!