Reviews for The Feng Shui of Review
Solitary Fatalist chapter 1 . 6/4/2008
Like everything I've read from you so far, Sage, this is inconceivably helpful..

Actually, I've read your work a long time ago (on a different account, it was the Guide to Things a Fantasy Author should Never Do), and I didn't think of it much.. I thought it was too contradictory with my style of writing that I ignored it.. But then again, it gave me insight on what other people like.. Back then I wrote only what I liked.. It was very helpful indeed..

So I read more.. This time though, I agree with you a hundred percent.. You gave a very thorough analysis of reviews and reviewing and some very good advice.. Although, I might add, that there are people who choose not to review but also enjoyed the story they have just read.. There are some people who are taciturn, or lazy, or they just don't have anything to say.. Of course, I'm talking about people like me.. Just because a story doesn't get reviews does not mean that no one enjoyed it..

But, I do not, nor will I ever, discourage reviewing.. People who cared enough to open the review box and write something not insulting are positively godsent..

I've said a lot, haven't I? Who am I to say these things anyway?

Do not bother to review back, Sage, because there will be nothing on my account to review on..
Tawny Owl chapter 1 . 3/25/2008
Found this very useful as I suspect I am a ‘Meh’ reviewer (see I proved I read it! I’m learning!) as I tend to point out what I like and chicken out of concrit. The idea of having the review box open when you read the story is a good one. I’ll have to try that so I write down what strikes me at the time rather then just splurging afterwards.
The Leading Lady chapter 2 . 3/7/2008
I was very happy to see that you had dealt with the whole type-of-review questions. (Not exactly what I meant to say, but about as close as I'm going to get)

It didn't really feel like you put the same amount of effort that you did in the first chapter, but then again I believe that htis was only supposed to be a one chapter story, so it's undertandable. I wasn't able to find any mistakes, so you've earned another cookie. Overall it was a very good update.

As far as paying back reviews, I've only added another new story, and it's pretty rough again. Nothing that some late-stage editing can't of my other stories is under major revision with a whole new cast and plot structure/ inspiration emulation. Fan fiction wise, I only have one Harry Potter story I'm not exactly proud of. It's one of these stories that wouldn't stop banging around my head until I posted. URL for profile: w . fanfiction ~ blodwynn

~TLL
ByYourSide chapter 2 . 3/4/2008
Oh, my Bob. Brilliant.

I've recently been looking into the business of reviews and the Eluding Mystical Art of acquiring more. I stumbled across your C2 and essays, and I plan on studying them all. This was was extremely helpful.

The format was also very easy to read (the headings, especially, made it so) and the information very easy to find. Essays usually bore me, but this one never failed to entertain.

*skips off to read the others*
S. E. K. Arouet chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
True. I played follow the links to get to this piece. :)

I enjoyed the FAQs section especially.
Harmonic Discord chapter 1 . 2/13/2008
Heehee! What wonderful advice. I've definitely found keeping the review box open as I go to be helpful. The "short chapter" comment is also good advice - I will definitely keep it in mind. Enjoyed the examples. Thanks for posting this!
l3g3nd chapter 2 . 11/10/2007
Yeah, you've got a plentiful of points in your article. I agree with everything you wrote on the 2nd chapter, and majority of the chapter 1.

There was one incident when I tried reviewing an author, but I did it in the wrong way. The quote 'doesn't make sense', I guess it really hurts him.

But anyway that was the past and I'm improving myself in terms of writing a better review which is helpful.

Somehow, I will thank you for the ideas you gave me through this article. They're awesome.
Twilight Starr chapter 2 . 10/27/2007
Yes, I do what you termed "Meh" Reviews. Lol, that's a great name for them. I'm trying to get better at avoiding them. Sadly I run out of things to say or my mind goes blank. I try to do the open the review and type as I go along, but it distracts from enjoying the story for me and then I have other windows open so my computer gets cranky and don't function right. I'm just not good at offering CC. I don't like doing that because generally when people offer me CC it has something to do with my plot and whatever I did was intentional or grammar/mechnical errors. Then I feel bad for telling them "Hey, this was intentional, but thanks for pointing it out. I'm glad someone realized what was happening."

I applaud you for trying to help people. I just wish people would realize if they don't review they're not getting their penname out there to be seen.

~Twilight Starr~
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 10/27/2007
All the information here seems familiar to me. I think everyone who writes a "review piece" writes basically similar things and mixes a few things in there. This was not to meant to be insulting so please don't take that I'm saying you plagiarized this. You most certainly didn't.

I'm weird about my reviews. Most of them are short with little constructive criticism or comments just because I'm too lazy to type everything out or I can't think of anything to comment or criticize. Then sometimes I do these long rambles. Like now.

Best wishes.

Good luck with writing, this essay, getting those reviews, and life.

Have a wonderful day.

~Twilight Starr~
whonow chapter 2 . 10/25/2007
Ah, now here's an article I'll be linking! You impart some pretty good wisdom for the amateur reviewer like me. :3 I giggled at the names you gave the types of reviews - the next time I get a vague, one-sentence review, I'll say to myself, 'what a Meh that was.' Ahaha. I'm a loser. I really did giggle at that. xD

Have you ever thought of submitting this article elsewhere? This is the sort of thing that needs to be floating about on the interweb. It's clever, which I find many instructional pieces don't try hard enough to be. That's something of a put-off for less serious types like me. Hehe. 'Neeway, until I read this, I honestly didn't know how to construct a meaningful review. :) I'll be recommending it to equally ignorant pals. Lols.

Oh, and before I forget - I'm interested in submitting summat to one/both of your C2 Communities, but I've never sent in a request before. You could help me out by writing a 'how to ask for in on a C2' article, or, of course, you could just let me know.

xD

O'lols. I'm unfunny tonight, aren't I...

-Catfish
half-sketched.staccatos chapter 1 . 9/23/2007
konnichi wa

LoL... I love your essays. So far I've read two, and this will be my second one to be added to my favorites, LoL. You're absolutely hysterical while still bringing in facts and helpful hints. :D Kudos - and never lose your sense of humor! *grin*

I also try to make a point of returning reviews, although sometimes I fall into a bad habit of... er... forgetting (*tsk tsk tsk*).

I do have to disagree with you on flames, though. #1 - even if you wanted to, most people CAN'T reply to flames. Flamers tend to be cowards; all of the flamers I've had (granted, it wasn't TOO many, but a couple) were anonymous reviewers. #2 - I don't get insulted when I get a flame because most people who flame have worse grammar, punctuation, etc. than I do.

It was absolutely hysterical! I once got a review that I could barely comprehend! I was rolling on the floor laughing while trying to figure out what the heck this guy had written! It was on one of my stories from fanfiction, and I think I was cracking up for a grand total of 5 minutes. :D

"ew . whyy tha hell did u like change tha ending err watever that iss . its hella gayy ! damn i thinkk u should quit writing these stupid ** storiess . ur like not good at it . sorry but im juss speakin tha truth here . haha ."

You see? Even reading it now (it was sent in March of this year), I STILL can't figure out exactly what this guy meant. And, naturally, it was anonymous. I normall reply to the flames when I can and made a big joke out of it - why waste time reviewing so pathetically if it won't even insult me (which was clearly the point)?

ki o tsukete nee

-Shan-
JJSLAM2129 chapter 1 . 9/21/2007
*blink blink* I see my reflection, but there's no mirror! Oh, well, great minds think a like as the saying goes! Since I wrote something so similar (albeit less organized) I agree with basically all your points...

...except for the whole penname thing. Yes, a legible penname might be easier to remember, but I don't really consider it a major factor in attracting *readers* necessarily. People might look at your profile, but it won't influence to read anymore than the title and summary would. But that's just me.

So, I'm off to check some of your other essays. Great read! Thanks for writing this and for your review! Until next time! ( :: )
SamanthaNicole chapter 1 . 8/22/2007
I was profile-hopping and came across this essay, which I obviously felt compelled to read, since I'm obviously here ;-)

You make a few good points. I particularly liked this one: To attract reviews, returning reviews is usually a good policy. I've found this to be quite true, and I generally review anyone who's read my stories.

Also a good point: Reviews might draw your attention to things you haven’t noticed before.

This is especially true for everyone, including myself. It's SO true that sometimes, as authors, we forget that we know more than the readers, and sometimes get ahead of ourselves. It's always helpful when readers point out things you hadn't intended to give away, or things that need more explaining.

Thanks for the lovely essay. It was well-organized, and I got a lot out of it. Hopefully others will, too.

Cheers,

Sammy
Fractured Illusion chapter 2 . 8/17/2007
"Most flamers of the ‘Critique’ variety actually mean to help you, they just have a bad way of showing it."

Too true! I have many times come off as more mean than intended :/ And I never aim to flame either, so you bring a very good point here ;

I liked the different review aspects. Haven't really seen those around much, so kudos on making them (and distinguishing the two type of flamers. )

So now to follow the guideline you made: What I didn't like:

Hmm... Well, maybe that the essay didn't really bring forth any too new points for me (aside from the two flamer types). It is however a work well done (I for one did not spot any spelling errors or anything!), so keep it up!
Fractured Illusion chapter 1 . 8/17/2007
I am an essay whore, for some weird, unexplainable reason, and found my way to yours! :p Woot!

It's really well done, with a nice, clean, basic structure. The addition of humor was good to liven up the spirit and all you said is too true. (and I also usually review while reading, ie, popping up the review window before I start to read :P)

There isn't much concrit to give though :/ Which pretty much makes me feel worthless (concrit is good! Bwah). So...um... In an attempt to save myself from worthless-feelings:

Maybe some more pointers? What you said is pretty basic and well known (at least it is to me...). Still time for more new stuff in the second chapter though! *goes off to read it*
95 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »