Reviews for The Feng Shui of Review
Angelical12345 chapter 1 . 7/18/2007
Very nice. I admire people who write essays! I can never do it... Geez, I can barely manage to finish a story (scratch that.. I can't manage to finish a story *cries*). I really like that tip about opening the review box and writing stuff in as you go. A review froma fantastic reviewer such as yourself (flattery does get you places sometimes ;) ) would be greatly appreciated on my story, The Moon Child. YES I'm asking because no one ever reviews the way I want (a.k.a. pointing out every singly little flaw that bothers them a smidgen and telling me how to make it better). YES I'm high maintenance ;p . Anyways, just mentioning ahead of time, some of the chapters might be in a bizarre format (I'm working on it! No time!) so just ignore that... unless you prefer to the normal one.. then please say so (this is if you decide to review at all). And finally.. yes... I know... I'm practically a lunatic. But that's okay :) we're all a little mental here at FP aren't we? :P
LBA chapter 1 . 6/12/2007
Haha! Good for you. You probably won't believe this but I left that there for you to correct. The whole nazi/Nazi thing :) I couldn't help it!

Arright. So, there's this writer whose work you reviewed and she was a little peeved at the grammar issues in it. Naturally, I took a look. But I'm probably just different. I mean, when I read things, I read and review at the same time and I tend to type fairly quickly but I can catch all my mistakes. Do you ever get those reviews where the grammar and punctuation are wrong? It feels kind of hypocritical if you know what I mean? It leaves a bad taste.

Now about Word, it's not always the best indicator of grammar. I mean, it always gives me the wrong demonstratives. So it feels kind of awkward to read. That's what I meant.

I think that's pretty much it. If you thought I was polite, thanks.
King of Kings chapter 2 . 5/29/2007
Heh, sometimes it's very hard to tell the difference between criticism and attacking - I generally ignore criticism unless it's given KINDLY, because unless I see it has something I notice myself as being wrong, I find harsh criticism sounds more like the 'reviewer' is attacking me rather than trying to help me. I read all reviews, even if I see them as flames, to see if there is anything useful, however. I find even a harsh review as the potential to be helpful in minor ways.

Also, most of my critics tend to completely ignore anything that's GOOD in my story, which is why I see it more as an attack than anyone trying to help me. -shrugs- Also, some people act like they know more about your story than YOU do - someone actually argued with me about who my main character was. -rolls eyes- -snort- I find this highly irritating at first, and then it only amuses me.

I admit I don't usually have a lot to say in my reviews unless I find mistakes in the story - if there are none, my reviews are usually 'meh' reviews, or at least something pretty close. Heh.

Anyway, this is great - a guide that's not boring at all. You can add my story (any one of them you want, or both of them), to your C2 if you want. ;)

Thanks for posting!
Elizabeth More chapter 2 . 5/27/2007
Wow! I really like this! Definitely a keeper! You give really thoughtful suggestions here. I especially like your guidelines for reviewing and the FAQ's section. "Meh" reviews, haha! I love it! I've gotten plenty of them (and I must confess, written plenty of them at times when I've been really rushed, but I generally try to avoid them). Thank you so much for this essay; I'm adding it to my favorites so I can look back at it!

God bless,

Galadriel
Burnt Bread chapter 2 . 5/18/2007
Hm... I need to... somehow... recruit your brain. It manages to be a guide without being a complete bore, I commend you. I'm always for CC, but the flip side of that is what if the CC given is just not that good? I mean, sometimes, good works get critiques, and the critics totally miss the essence of what the story's about. People's adherence to certain conventional styles are very judgemental of those who try new things.

Congratulations on the guide, I am always on the lookout for things like this.

I do not require a review in return.

Bread
Formerly chapter 2 . 5/18/2007
Meh.
J. Shelley chapter 2 . 5/17/2007
You go! It's about time someone set people straight on reviews. I especially liked the FAQ section in part 1. And yes, the "meh" reviews bother me too. If people like my work, I want to know why they like it. Anyways, great job and thank you!

Kit

PS. Can I please join the Sci-Fi/Fantasy C2? My story is under Fantasy, titled "Hurricane".
The Ferrett chapter 1 . 4/25/2007
I saw you in the C2 and HAD to check this out. God, it was a smile a sentence. ::)) Just for the cheeky attitude I'm checking out your stuff.
Dani P chapter 1 . 4/13/2007
this essay is interesting, however i disagree about the part where chapters should be somewherre around 1,0-1,500 words long. People like myself who are trying to write novel length stories have chapters with at least 2,0 words sometimes even 6,0. Also prolouges should be short compared to the other chapters, but there should'nt be a limit as to how many words, just make sure it isn't your longest chapter.

Also one more thing...never..ever..when writing an essay say "I'm going to write about _" or "In this essay you will learn _" it is a silly way to make the reader feel like your babying him/her. I suggest taking that line out since we already know what you are going to be talking about.
King of Kings chapter 1 . 4/10/2007
I always try to review, even if I have very little to say, and I almost always return every review I get. I find some very good stories that way - I especially look for the stories of those who have given me CC. 'Good' CC, anyway. Sometimes it shows me they're potentially good writers themselves. ;)

I agree with this completely, save for the whole length bit. Unfortunately for my readers, I tend to write long chapters - for 'Fire and Ice', anyway. I try so hard not to, but no matter what I do, they always come out so 'long'. I have 'never' written a chapter only 1,500 words long. ;) What can I say?

Your suggestions are potentially very helpful, thanks for posting this. ;)
CyberDragon10K chapter 1 . 4/2/2007
You know, I'd really like to see if you'd be willing to review my story after reading your blurb on short chapters. :P

I'm a fast reader (not blazing mind you), so I usually have enough memory storage to recall most of the stuff mentioned in one-shots/short stories. You're very detailed with this piece; do you take technical communication? I notice a lot of parallels between the class I'm taking and your writing (involve your reader, avoid being passive, etc). :/

I would agree with this essay completely if not for the length bit. I'm notorious for horribly lengthy chapters that get no reviews (upwards of 10,0 words once... don't worry, those evil things are gone now), so I guess I can't complain about a lack thereof. Mutual reviewing has turned out to be quite beneficial and fun as of lately, so I hope to keep that up.

Great piece with many useful suggestions; there should be a bulletin to post this or something.
rust phoenix chapter 1 . 3/10/2007
I really like this essay, you did an excellent job of melding humor with good advise. Most of what you said was common sense, but you did offer some helpful tips like opening the review box when you start reading the story. I also like the tip on not just repeating what the other reviewers say, I've been trying to avoid that but it can be hard sometimes. Just one thing:

"...Otherwise, all else (plot, setting, phonetics) being equal, we will go for the story that has be best grammar..." I think you meant to write "the best grammar."

I like how you mentioned the "hate sites where they call you plagiarized tripe." I've seen quite a few of those hate sites; they're fun to rant on when you're bored.
London Blaise chapter 1 . 3/3/2007
A lovely essay - congratulations. I found many of your suggestions helpful, particularly the place where you said that you liked to 'open the review box as soon as I enter a story and write what comes to mind as I read along'. I found it to be an interesting idea, and one that I will undoubtedly use in the future. But might I recommend fleshing out the segment that discusses how to review? I would, for example, adore some advice on where the line between ConCrit and flaming is. But that's just a suggestion; perhaps you omitted such content on purpose.

Oh, and kudos for adding humor; so many essays I've read are technically well-written, but I lose interest becasue they're dry and dull. I did not have that problem in this case. Thanks for the advice, as well as the entertainment!
Princess Scheherazade chapter 1 . 2/28/2007
Brilliant! Astounding, fantastic, anything else you're willing to call it. I never really thought why to review, I don't review very often, but I think I will now.

You are a very persuasive (am I spelling that right? "Keep the grammar! lol) writer who uses her words with great skill.

As for the review return policy, in a few days my first entry on fictionpress would go up. If you could read that and review, it would make me very happy :) it should be up by March.4th...

Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful essay.

Sheri
ta1nt3d1uv chapter 1 . 2/24/2007
I really liked this, props to you for a well-written essay!
95 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 Next »