Reviews for On Moral Behavior
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
A solid essay. I think it might be stronger if you talk a little about the differences between religion and morality. You SUGGEST that there's a difference, but don't define what it is - and a lot of people DO believe that "without the presence of a God, moral behavior is impossible", as you said.

A technical issue:

"I see no reason why we should not strive to do everything that does not significantly sacrifice our well-being... that could instill these qualities in another human being." - What? I don't understand what you mean here at all. Can you rephrase more clearly?

Beyond that I saw no grammar or writing issues. Thanks for the essay!

-Ruatha
Edgar Wellington chapter 1 . 3/5/2007
An interesting essay, and hard to argue "against," but unfortunately, asking people to act to change some abstract future like this just doesn't work. Perhaps if you limit it to a civil smile and soft voice you might have something, but inevitably one who acts "kindly" will be accused of desiring (or actually aiming to get) some limited resource that can not be shared and from there it all breaks down. The problem lies in the paradoxical nature of pursuit of happiness (which is your initial premise). It is why we still can't shake the animal in us.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your essay, I just think it's impractical, take it from an aging 70's liberal.

This argument reminds me of the debates I used to have with my rabid capitalist friends, who used to try to convince me how good corporate citizenry would always win out because bad ones would go out of business...In practice this is not the way it works.

You might seek out Bertrand Russell for some wonderfully cogent and related arguments.
London Blaise chapter 1 . 3/2/2007
Your essay was bizarrely conclusive. 'There we go!' is a very strange way to end an essay concerning a complex topic like morality. With all due respect, ending an essay as though you have provided ultimate clarity in an area where many others have failed to do so seems slightly pretentious.

P.S. - I eagerly anticipate your Theory on Everything.
Gabriel D chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
Yes, you've got the right idea going on here, the only problem is dogma that runs the lives of too many.

Dangerous devils can be discovered in the footsteps of dogma. This and ignorance are the reason your simply yet logical philosophy here and all the other ones like it haven't made it into the population's consciousness yet.

Peace easy.
No Trust chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
Ought-is problem guts you.