Reviews for Why You Should Learn A Second Language
to long
Guest chapter 1 . 7/18/2012
really good )
systemofup chapter 1 . 8/3/2008
Your essay is well-written though I have to agree that English should be the universal language even if im not a native speaker :p, and I also agree that being bi-,tri-,multilingual has many advantages ;) (planning to be a trlingual)

*Added to favorites
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 3/14/2007
Heya! I've been roaming around on fictionpress looking for some good essays, so I'll give yours a shot. I'll comment as I read:

1.) "It is also good for the foreign language-learning English speaker, who build skills and confidence with the language" - Typo: "builds".

2.) "Learning another language in a classroom setting has been shown to increase understanding of language mechanics, as studies have found that "math and verbal SAT scores climb higher with each additional year of foreign language study." " - I understand (and agree with) the concept you're presenting, but your logic is a bit shaky. You're trying to prove that "language" mechanics are improved, yet you give the scores for verbal AND MATH SAT scores. This doesn't negate what you're trying to say, but it does sound a bit funny - after all, you have not shown that having a higher math score makes you better at language! Can you rephrase this section to more precisely mean what you intend it to?

3.) "In West Virginia alone there are merely 4 of teens who speak a language other than English; the other 96 speak nothing but English." - First off, fictionpress seems to have deleted your percent-signs here. More importantly, this phrase seems to CONTRADICT your earlier point! If only 4-percent of local people (ie: people you're likely to meet) don't speak English, that is NOT a good motivation to learn another language!

Alrighty! This was a nice, well-written essay. To be honest, your final point (English will soon be buried by Spanish-speakers) was a bit too futuristic and hypothetical for my taste, but besides that I agree with your points. Certainly, I think it's arrogant for us Americans to expect everyone else to know our language while we know none of their's.

Thanks for the good read!

-Ruatha