Reviews for The Right Wine
Pink Jello chapter 1 . 3/19/2007
This is an adorable, witty, and insightful little play. The quirky subject matter drew me in, and I was surprised to find a piece about a wine connoisseur, of all things, so amusing. Your characters have distinct voices all their own, which is a refreshing change. And the analogy between wine and men is apt and well-established from the get-go.

I think the opening monologue is the highlight of the piece. This quote, especially, I think summed up your theme quite nicely: "But it does represent our vulnerability. Because what alcohol does is it strips away layer after layer of our self dignity until eventually we are just raw emotions in human shells." Wonderfully written!

The first exchange had me giggling. It flowed quite neatly, with the stuffy Heming providing a perfect foil for good-humored Tara. The end of the second scene I thought seemed a bit contrived. I did love the line "Oh you’re a joker. Even your sense of humour is…rich", but the scene's closing section (starting with "sanity" and ending with "beside me") came off slightly muddled. I couldn't quite follow Tara's logic.

Otherwise, I loved the last scene (and the indirect critique of poor Mr. O'Connor, I can't help but feel bad for him), and the closing monologue is a cute little wrap-up. Let me just reiterate: This was definitely worth reading. I'm so glad I did! Keep up the good work.