Reviews for Slut
AJ southern chapter 1 . 9/21/2009
Damn girl, that was awesome. I wish more stories, shows, and advertisements held similar standards. I definitely agree with your beliefs. Thanks for sharing :)
plumbucket chapter 1 . 6/16/2009
I really like the ideas you presented.

Thanks for the experience,

Push
demi.91 chapter 1 . 9/20/2008
Wow, amazing piece of writing.

Its really...blut.

I love this argument as I've been thinking of it for ages and I totally agree with the double-standard on women, and doesnt the line between men and women narrow due to our equivilance to them. If we want to be considered equals, shouldn't we have the same expectations placed on us and rights in regard to sex?

Also, with the definition of promiscuity, "wild" can also be defined as something innate and natural. So I think that definition is worthwhile also.
Belestrange chapter 1 . 5/7/2008
I love this.
truthordeal chapter 1 . 2/28/2008
*sigh* I'm afraid I do disagree with you. You do defend you're position, and you have many valid points, which is probably why I'm having a hard time disagreeing with you. You might have won me over to your side, except...

Morality is not relative. There are bare minimums that people cannot cross, and a justification for promiscuity for teenage girls is not exactly something I can get behind.

I agree that it is hard to find yourself, but a teenage girl throwing herself into some guys lap isn't finding herself. Not to mention that there are so many diseases and such that can be contracted by having sex, especially as a teenage girl.

I'll also give you that society probably directs girls to do this sort of stuff to conform and fit in, only for that same society to rip apart their confidence by calling them a whore.

I guess the only real problem I have with this is the teenage girl angle. I can't really get behind it. But if you're mature enough, and it doesn't affect your job, your family, others or your health, I don't think I care much about what women do behind closed doors.

*sigh* Sorry for my rant against you, but I feel it had to be said.

Truth.
neverknowtheflow chapter 1 . 2/27/2008
Can I just say, you might of changed my upbringing? I'm 12, going on 13, and this essay makes very good points. There are a few typos, but all in all it gets the point across, and in the end that's what's really important. Would you mind if I printed this out and gave it to a few friends? I'd cite the page, of course.

cheers,

neverknowtheflow
i'll ask the stars above chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
This was ok, not great, but ok. You bring up some good points. I'm one of those so-called sluts (twenty boys and eleven girls, not counting my current boyfriend) and I've been harrassed constantly. At times, I am ashamed, and at times, I'm not. Sex is fun, and I'm not the type to go out and just fuck for the hell of it. Meh, the world is a screwed up place, hm? Anyway. Nice essay. :D
DarknessCoversMe chapter 1 . 4/24/2007
This is so amazing! I love the message of mixed messages that you wrote about. It's absolutly wonderful.
No Trust chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
“The entire idea of being judged on ones sexual promiscuity is absurd.”

Why?

“Morality is relative.”

Oh, nevermind. I guess you really can’t say anything to people who judge others on their sexual promiscuity after all. You were just joking or something.
Tyler chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
I think this is a very good essay. I have read a lot of essays and not many are this good.
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
Greetings! I'm looking around for essays and ran across yours. Let me have a look...

Okay, done. Good points made thoughout! I really like how you began with an example we could all understand - it made it easy to get into the essay.

The one thing I didn't like about the essay is how you jumped back and forth between describing things happening to YOU PERSONALLY and describing things happening to WOMEN IN GENERAL. I would strongly suggest you look it over and rewrite it as the latter entirely. For example: "How does sleeping with five, twelve, thirty, or even a hundred men make me a cheap and immoral person?" This describes a personal question (YOU are the potentially immoral one). Rewriting it in the general case is easy: "How does sleeping with five, twelve, thirty, or even a hundred men make a woman a cheap and immoral person?" The reason I'd suggest doing this is two-fold. First, it lets you connect better with your (female) audience, since it's something that's happening to everyone, not just you.

More importantly, it also makes it feel a lot less like whining. As is, there are sections (mostly the paragraph where I pulled that quote from) where you come across as saying, "My life sucks, everyone hates me, and it's not fair". Now, I read the rest of the essay, so I KNOW that's not the point of it, but it does sound rather whiny. Changing it to the general case will help you avoid that, thus making your case stronger.

Nice work! Thanks for the read!

- Ruatha
servatis-a-pereculum chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
Agreed!
Undead Serenade chapter 1 . 3/26/2007
"We live in a harsh society where it is hard to find yourself."

Which is basically generalizing because it's not impossible, and by all means it could be a surprise to find, but isn't nonexistent.

I would have loved to see a nice paragraph on contracting diseases and the rates there, but alas, you didn't.

It's an okay debate. There's more you could do.
MrFlames chapter 1 . 3/26/2007
Sluts destroy social relations and ruin friendships. They don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and whether their partner can get them off or not. They are pitiable because they are slaves to the smallest part of their body, but they are detestable nonetheless.
Hemingway Solution chapter 1 . 3/25/2007
Your introduction works very well, so kudos on that.

If you're listing synonyms from a thesaurus in formal writing you have to cite the thesaurus. It's a pain in the ass, but I figure if it's for school or something like that you should know.

" . . . You’re still human." For the end of the first paragraph you're essentially just saying the same thing over and over. I'm searching for a thesis, but I honestly can't find it there in a swamp of synonymous sentences. You can say what you're trying to say in less than half the words.

"plunging necklines" - Absolutely perfect verb.

"On the other hand, however we have a deep conflict for many women." The sentence is poorly worded. Also, the use of both "on the other hand" and "however" is incredibly redundant.

The vast generalizations in the penultimate paragraph made me wince. Essays are no place for generalization.

Love your introduction to the last paragraph.

I was kind of surprised you didn't mention the whole religious perspective of sex. How some believe it's only proper for procreation, most believe it's sacred, and of course what the Catholics say: If it feels good, don't do it - that stuff.

All in all, it was alright. One of the better essays I've read on here. I agree with your point, but I think it could be presented more artfully, and that is easy to do with a few tweaks here and there. Good luck!