Reviews for Narius
ZhaWarudo chapter 28 . 8/21/2020
I didn't expect much character depth as these stories tend to focus on war,economy and politics but c'mon...
Meetings literally last one minute and everyone is on their way. What's with the constant sighing, aren't generals supposed to be putting up a strong front? Even in front of enemy leaders you have Narius sighing oh my poor empire is so weak, wtf who would actually admit to being weak in that situation?
There are also too many assumptions, likely the enemy forcing are going there, likely they're gonna do this, likely that, likely this everytime and it is always correct and assumed so.
There has also been repetitions of these past years this and that. These past few years Rome has been losing wars, more like decades or these past few years nobles are being corrupt and lazy, don't you mean they were always like that...
I was actually hoping this was an SI and there would be re-invention of printing press and cannons but still it's not bad, not great either...
Varangian Guard chapter 1 . 2/20/2020
Hopefully this isn't dead, I've been keeping up with it for many years and I'd hate to see it gone forever.
Guest chapter 28 . 5/15/2019
Love it
bozob11 chapter 28 . 12/13/2018
I am in love with this story. Please keep it updatig!
tdk999920001 chapter 28 . 12/12/2018
Gg
Darax chapter 28 . 12/7/2018
Hi Sam,

A good chapter as always especially in terms of its writing and flow with quite a lot of depth. It is, as always, an awesome read that I would recommend to everyone.

That said while the writing itself and the characters are great, a lot of historical info and mentions within do seem weird or a little bit off. To start with I have to ask where the soldiers marching along a proper Roman road or was it just on a random path north because if it's an actual road they're far to close to the sea. Building so close to water would damage the road's foundations nevermind the slow erosion from the sea spray and the fact that as in the story you would be opening up travellers from attacks by sea. Most Roman roads would be close enough to the sea but not so close you could see it or be seen from it.

Secondly, this is something that I've been wondering for some time, what are you defining as a legion. The five thousand man formations of the Marian and Augustan reforms are long gone and have been replaced by this point by two groups of rank-and-file soldiers. The limitanei (border guards) and the comitatenses (mobile army). Assuming you're referencing the militia as the limitanei, the comitatenses would be the mobile army units used by Sextus, Urses, Narius etc for both the east and west.

Both it and limitanei legions would be in legions of 1000 men on average which is why when Stilicho was organising his legions to repel Alaric I 70 years earlier he had to organise 30 legions and their calvary contingent (which was completely different) for about 35,000 to 40,000 men. On top of this, there would be the palatini (palace guards) who were the elite of the average soldier and were mostly concentrated around the emperor and the Scholae, who had replaced the Praetorian guard as the elite military unit in the empire and were entirely made up of heavy cavalry.

Most of this won't matter to you especially since it's coming so late into the story but it is good to have. Aside from troop composition, numbers and the road placements there are very few other major historical inaccuracies. Of the minor ones, there's the fact most people should be calling Narius and Anastasius Dominus, not Caeser which would be a title most often used for designated Imperial successors rather than the emperor himself.

Also does Helen's wish to have every citizen educated refer to every citizen who can afford it or education for every citizen no matter what because if it's the later the state will and ability necessary for mass education and the economic incentives that push for it simply do not exist and will not exist until the industrial revolution. Quite simply it's weird that she'd even suggest it. If she's looking for economic reform Roman tax reform and supporting a military reconquest of Africa would be the best thing to do.

Aside from those issues, I wonder how Augustulus is doing and Clovis as well considering in OTL he should have just gathered enough strength to take Syagrius. Also, it would be cool to see what the Persians are doing eventually.

That's really all I have to say and all that I remember and aside from that keep on with the great work.
Rebecca Roy chapter 6 . 5/19/2018
Wow, now that is a great way to end this war, I do like what Narius is doing in offering citizenship to those who earn it.
Rebecca Roy chapter 2 . 5/18/2018
Wow, such action and negotiation, things that would have changed the course of history.
Rebecca Roy chapter 1 . 5/18/2018
Wow, such a different take on what really happened. Rome at this time was pretty much done and it would take a miracle to get it back on track so to speak.
philliph chapter 27 . 3/10/2017
Just finished Ch 27. Things look pretty awful for Narius. Could things be worse?
philliph chapter 5 . 3/5/2017
Hopr to hear more from you.
philliph chapter 4 . 3/5/2017
I love reading alternate history. What IF that had happened and where would we be...
Varangian Guard chapter 27 . 3/3/2017
Ahh, finally an update. I was half-convinced that this was dead.
Guest chapter 26 . 12/2/2015
Love it thanks so much for the update!
Kizer chapter 25 . 10/3/2015
Wow this is my favorite story of the year. Cant wait for more !
45 | Page 1 .. Last Next »