Reviews for The Animal Game
Ishotthealbatross chapter 1 . 10/24/2015
This is brilliant. And tragic. And brilliant.
PirateGrrl chapter 1 . 7/4/2010
I found this on someone else's favorites page.

I have to say I dig your style and by the end of this I had chills. You definitely have the character down and the voice, god, it just kills me.

Thank you.
One-Hand Clap chapter 1 . 4/7/2008
It's a haunting repitition of something you usually see out there in the bigwideworld without any prose and only real, real grittiness. It's lovely and I can tell you put a little bit of yourself into this piece.
stellar explosion chapter 1 . 12/14/2007
I realize that this was posted a while ago, but it's been hiding amongst my favorites list for quite some time. I'm not sure why I never reviewed - maybe I just didn't know what to say. I still don't, but after re-reading this again, I feel like I have to tell you how much I like it. It comes across to me as completely honest, even if this is a creation from your imagination alone. The way you write is a way I have always admired. It's like... oh, how do I explain this? It's like you don't care about your writing being perfect or good in a literary sense (though I am not saying that it's not just that. The fact that it's not makes it so.), that your mind is so full of thoughts about this boy that you can't get it out fast enough. I'm sorry if that offends you, I'm horrible at explaining things and upon re-reading the previous sentences, if I received a comment like that I'd give my monitor a weird look. Here's a analogy: You know how some boys go to great lengths to make their hair look disheveled, that I-just-rolled-out-of-bed look? Some guys I know spend as much time as I do in front of the mirror making it look just the right amount of messy. This piece is messy, but not at all in a bad way. You definitely pulled it off, and that is so admirable. It's obvious that this boy means a lot to you - even if he is a fictional character, you really care for him.

I can relate.

I've written so many things like this, but I've never even thought about showing anyone other than my best friend. It's so intensely personal, my writing, so I applaud you for putting this up.

I feel like I know this boy. The way you write about him... it really makes me feel like I know him, and you. I feel like I know exactly where you are coming from. That is such a cliche thing to say, I know, but I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. I'm always nervous when talking about another person's work because I'm afraid they won't believe what I say. Sometimes I don't mean it, but I don't know you and have no reason to lie. I use the same descriptive words over and over because I am unoriginal. What I'm trying to say is, I like the so much that I'm finding it so hard to explain why.

The love you feel for this boy seems so innocent, like a childhood romance, before the corruption that comes with growing up. But it's so intense and so great and deep that I can't think of it as an innocent thing. I once knew a boy like this. I still do, but we do nothing but smoke pot together and avoid eye contact these days. You described him in this, right down to almost every little detail. Not only does the physical similarities between our two boys stand out to me, but also the way you say he is and acts. He has so many flaws, but those flaws are what makes him so beautiful. His imperfection is perfect. It's so surreal that you wrote this, because for the time I've had it in my favorites, I've re-read it many times, and it's grown to mean so much to me. I'm sure you've heard this before, and from many people, some of whom have plead their case better than I have, but I can relate so much to this. It's like I wrote it, except I'm not this good of a writer. Usually, I only connect on a really emotional level with books. It's rare that I find something on this site that makes me think and remember and feel terrible and wonderful at the same time.

This review has gone on long enough. For that I apologize. When I read things like this, things that I understand so well it kind of freaks me out, I tend to get very passionate about telling the author how I feel. Because not only do I feel connected to this piece the way a song writer feels connected to his all-time favorite, life-saving song, but the fact that someone else wrote it also strikes me. I am a writer, so I understand how much of your soul goes into writing things - fiction or not. Wow, I can't even tell you how much I like this.

Please don't ever delete it. I know I'll be coming back to this time and time again, because it just really, really speaks to me.

Long review short, this is amazing. I'm not sure many people can really understand and connect to writing like this, and it makes me feel better to know that people like you are alive and writing.

Also, sorry for any typos or things that don't make sense. I've been fucked since lunch, to be honest.

Keep it the fuck up. Inform me when you publish your first book (and I am completely serious).
Margot Tenenbaum chapter 1 . 8/29/2007
Oh man. This is just beautiful. Honestly, I know that's a trite and overused word, but I loved this. I loved the emotion and the raw intensity and your style. These characters feel painfully real and familiar. The devotion to which Austin (?) harbors for Brandon is overwhelming, deep, and almost sad. You can tell she really loves him and despite it all, she still clings to him. She mistakes his immorality for immortality. It's great. I'm adding this to my favorites.
tinybones chapter 1 . 8/28/2007
continue, it's very good.
S.Y Lights chapter 1 . 8/28/2007
That was...amazing.
Some Stranger chapter 1 . 8/28/2007
I love this. It's so beautiful and sad. I really like how you added in the second person narrative, it flows really well with the story and gives a certain feel.

The writing is so sad and wishful. She wants to please him, but she wishes for a different life all the same. Admiring but never getting anywhere.

The words in the story all flow together, the descriptions, the candid thoughts. It's very nicely written. Well done :)
The Idiot Savant chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
Wow... amazing writing style you've got here. Vivid and stark and poetic and emotive... I love the transition from just one of those usually, hoeplesslydevoted clihe stories to something so dark, so gritty, so much more real.
LadyAshlie chapter 1 . 4/12/2007
Wow. I really love this. You have this eloquent writing style. Even your elaborate way of describing Brandon didn't bother me, becuase it fit the story. And the sinister dark it became, and wow, the way for a moment my heart broke because he isn't so smart and yet she plays along. / But she's lost herself to him and that's terribly sad. Obsession and consumption. I'm faving this though, it's just... a beautiful dark. 3
Sheets chapter 1 . 4/4/2007
Really descriptive. I loved it. Poor girl, though, "he'd never kiss his mother". Yikes.

I love the way it trainsitions so quickly from girlygirly gushing into something so much more sinister... But the descriptions are fantastic. Amazingly eloquent and feeling.

You really accomplish so much in such a short time.

Not exactly your average fic. It was wonderful. It's favourited.