Reviews for A Rose Without A Thorn
Yasemina Cecilia Grdal chapter 6 . 8/25/2011
Reeeeeeeeeeealllllly good please include Thomas Duke of Norfolk in more scenes :))
faery tragedy chapter 6 . 4/7/2009
This line is my favorite: "I played my game with him – a smile on my face but an outstretched palm to keep him at arms length."

I wish you'd continue!

faery tragedy chapter 4 . 4/7/2009
Katherine's naivety and optimism is easy to relate to. Also, her repulsion of needing to seduce fat, old, mean Henry is aptly shown, but you countered the typical whining with her considering "the perks." It makes her human. Katherine obviously wasn't the most scheming, or even interesting, of his wives, but you created a wonderful character in her.

I also like how Anne's image lingers in the background, either a shadow or a reminder, but either way very haunting.

faery tragedy chapter 3 . 4/7/2009
The fact that Katherine addresses her kinsmen so formally is really indicative of their relationship. I'm glad you made him as cold and calculating as he truly was. His quote at the end was so sly, so malicious. Good job.

I wish you described the characters more-and the fashions. I know that sounds silly, but Tudor fashion can really highlight a person's station (which was oh so important to the sniveling Howards) and be a literary symbol for greed/wealth. It also exhibits a knowledge of the time period and provides a visual. But that's only a suggestion.

faery tragedy chapter 2 . 4/7/2009
Again, strong prose. Both Dereham and Katherine are sympathetic characters-young and in love, even though it's forbidden. I can't wait to meet Culpepper.

faery tragedy chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
Your prose is so so clear and concise, but with a unique voice. I love the first paragraph. It makes the reader instantly empathetic to poor Katherine. The final paragraph was lovely too, a nice lead-in to the rest of the story.

Sahara Hayden chapter 6 . 8/22/2007
Oh boy, it's Thomas Culpepper. This can't be good! He seems much more attractive than the king, and I daresay he'll prove to be a bit of trouble for Katherine :)
Taraum chapter 6 . 8/10/2007
She just met Thomas Culpepper...this cannot end well.
Taraum chapter 5 . 6/13/2007
Wow. I can't really say that I know just how to view Katherine Howard. I mean, what she did to Anne of Cleves was terrible, stealing her husband; but if you really think about it, she didn't have a choice. That aside, you have done a good job of capturing what could have been floating through her mind. Nice job.
Sahara Hayden chapter 5 . 6/12/2007
Interesting chapter. Will it be as easy to charm the king as Katherine thinks it is? It seems so... the king seems pretty gullible. Update soon!
Sahara Hayden chapter 4 . 5/22/2007
Katherine certainly seems to have this "charming the king" business down. Can't wait for more!
Sahara Hayden chapter 3 . 5/6/2007
Finally I got around to reading this! Can't wait to hear what the queen has in store for Katherine!
Regretting.Winter chapter 3 . 5/6/2007
Hey-

I LOVE this time period and your story's pretty good.

Ever read The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Greggory? Beautiful novel about Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard, and Jane Rochford. You might find it interesting.

Keep writing!

- Essa -
cassandra12271 chapter 3 . 5/4/2007
It's pretty good. Rock on!
cassandra12271 chapter 2 . 5/4/2007
Nice chapter. I think I should expand on my stories longer until I finish the novel I'm working on! Rock on!