Reviews for Leviathan
Brenna Botzheim chapter 1 . 4/15/2007
I've never heard my thoughts but so rightly into place before but of course my thoughts are just things I think about before I go to sleep. I remind myself each night that there is more to this world than just me, my problems, and my dreams. And I got something great out of rethinking everything that goes on in this world, I made myself a dream to help the other billions of peole out there. To make a diference to at least one person. I don't want to be famous for something that so many people should already see but rather just want to help. Be of some use to other people.

My name is Brenna. I am twelve years old and I know what I won't to do for the rest of my life: I want to help.

I don't care what you think of me. I don't care if you think I'm a spoiled brat who has an impossible dream because this is what I want to do.
tuieri chapter 1 . 4/14/2007
course then this could lead into an entire discourse about morality and the actual ideas of 'good and evil' and into religion etc etc.

in the end it was simply well put together and despite a few awkward sentences, easy to read.
Formerly chapter 1 . 4/14/2007
Thomas Hobbes was the first to put that into words, eh?
The Abstract Dualist chapter 1 . 4/13/2007
Overall this is a very good essay, even if I disagree. There are a couple of things that I think can be put down to typographical error, and a couple of minor issues that can't. "Evilness," for example, is not a word (just use "human evil"). Other things are purely stylistic- I think it's unclear how the second Emerson quote relates to the point that follows it, and "vast minority" is just a phrase that somehow...bothers me.

Overall though, nicely written. This isn't entirely just your peers producing crap.
anonymous chapter 1 . 4/12/2007
You have a strong paper. You are clearly widely read in both history and in literature. Your organization is decent. However, I disagree with your views. In the begging, God created man and saw that man was good. Man fell from a state of grace and innocence only because he was tempted by Satan. Only good can come from God, who is Goodness personified. Why is their evil, you say? God permits evil only to bring about a greater good. Man is selfish, you assert. Really? All men collectivy? What about Mother Theresa? Was she selfish? Christian or not, you have to realize that she was about as altruistic as is humanly possible, not to mention Christ's death. While man is capable of great evil, not even respecting the sanctity of life-abortion, capital punishment, euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, war ect-man is still capable of doing great good. Think about this. We are not born into the world inherently evil. We are innocent. It is the crooked world, the society, the mass media, the culture, that changes us into selfish automs. And while you blame relgion for the cause of some wars, do not forget that WWI and WWII were caused by Social Darwinsim/racism. Avoid making generalizaitons, and think about the sacrifices, even if they are small, that loved ones such as your parents make for you. Since you appear interested in philosophy I suggest you look more into this.
harpoonedxwhale chapter 1 . 4/11/2007
I loved this and thought it was wonderful up until the part you say 'the fact of global warming'. Sure, the earth is warming up, but it's not because of us. The earth goes through cycles and we're just heading into a hot cycle before it gets cold again over the next thousands of years. Course the propaganda of it all got a couple of people to recycle and conserve energy, which doesn't hurt the environmnet, but isn't going to stop global warming.
Firstandlast77 chapter 1 . 4/11/2007
Dude this piece is amazing...

I look forward to checking out some of your other works

This is really insighful and brings you to the heart of the matter

Great Job!