Reviews for Eyes Filled With Shadow
Just As I Am chapter 1 . 2/15/2008
Ouch. What power in those words. The beginning grabbed me with its simple intensity. "I stand upon a razor/Sorrow to my left/Rage to my right" is one of the most intriguing ways to describe that ambivalent emotion we're all familar with. And then, "I hold the question in my hand" nearly had me trembling. The imagery of holding, of cradling and nursing, suggests strongly of having power over. It heightens the sense of tension, of standing on the edge of that razor.

What made me uneasy was the mention of Christ's judgment towards the end. He will come one day to judge, but until that time, who are we to point at who will be condemned? :) Just that pricked at me. This poem is a beautiful and clear expression of an emotion so difficult to pinpoint.
WriterXO chapter 1 . 2/1/2008
Wow, this is REALLY good. I'm so sorry to hear about what drove you to write this. I hope your friend is okay. I love the way you wrote this. So interestingly put and so well-written. You really have talent for writing and putting just the right words together. Amazing. Great job!
Lady Nocturne Juliet chapter 1 . 1/18/2008
I love this. It is well written and I love the dark emotion portrayed in this piece. You portray it well.
E. A. Tetje chapter 1 . 11/8/2007
In this piece you have taken on a very protective older brother tone. It is well written and I certainly can understand the sentiments that you have expressed in your poem.
Getuie chapter 1 . 9/15/2007
Oh boy, could I relate to this! I haven't read your work in a while and I've forgotten your artistry with words. Perfectly expressed, it captures everything so precisely. Definitely going to my favs.
Kristina Suko chapter 1 . 5/29/2007
Wow. The ending was really powerful, and I absolutely loved the whole thing! Sadly, I know someone to whom this poem could be directed. I especially liked the lines "The God your serpentine voice claims to hold dear/Shall judge you and condemn you"

Very well done. This poem is now in my favorites.

Maranwe Telrunya
Laura chapter 1 . 4/21/2007
I'm reading the Left Behind books right now and this really reminds me of Ray's feelings about Nicolae. Great work on this, Matt.
continuous brevity chapter 1 . 4/18/2007
powerful. great job.
Liebchen Rose chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
Chilling, angry, and full of emotion. There is no doubt of your anger and hate towards the person. Very nicely done darling. I wouldn't want to be the subject of this.
justaguy chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
Wow...You know what hit me as I read this? Of course not. it just hit me what an asinine statement that was. How can a person "know what hit me when I read something?" Anyway, sorry, I got carried away for a moment. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The words to this poem would make an incredible song. I do nto know why; it just hit me like that.

I loved the last two lines. "I pray that God's hands find you 'Fore mine do." Awesome!

I KEEP HEARING THIS IN MY HEAD AS A SONG.

Your fan, always.
Hilmary-Oceans chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
Wow. It really creates the image of a fist bathed in vengeful fire. I especially liked the first to pair of stanzas at the beginning. They compliment the atmosphere and mood well.

xoxo