Reviews for Squint
Lost in A World of Pain chapter 1 . 6/15/2007
The poem is very well written, having said that it seems as if I'm ending my review before it even begins. I find the title of the poem very interesting. When the word 'squint' is read a reader immediately thinks that the poem will revolve soley around the sun. You start the poem off in the expected manner regarding associations with the sun and do so in your second stanza. Yet the last stanza of your poem clearly shows the double meaning on the word squint, because it is clear that the people in the care are not eager to get home and when a person is unsure of something, they tend to squint at it, as if this could make a conundrum appear more clear like a picture that has gone fuzzy and can be corrected. As the sun was high and happy so are the people, but as the sun sinks and they people approach their destination, so the moods darken and all seem unhappy and unsure of the immediate future.

I've most likely completely missed the point of this poem, so sorry if this made no sense. Well written, like I said in the beginning, and I enjoyed reading it.

Cheers

Lost in A World of Pain
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 5/29/2007
I like the subtle sounds and inflections of audibility that the phrasing ushers in at several points. The way that this is opened up, without specific names involved, just, "we", and "our", helps to establish the universal relatability that wouldn't be captured if it was character specific. It presents an identifiable social picture that becomes all the more relatable because it is a shared experience for the reader. Very well written. Good work.