Reviews for Fuga Servis
111111111111111111111111111111 chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
Hi! I am pursuing my degree in Classics, and I love that you are attempting something in an ancient language! I will say, however, that your Latin does have a few mistakes. Might I suggest a program called "Whitaker's Words"? It allows you to type in any Latin word and receive all its grammatical possibilities. You can also use it as a dictionary to find Latin translations for English words. A few notes concerning your Latin:

1. “Miserimus” does not mean “miserable”. In fact, it is the future active indicative/ perfect active subjunctive of “mittere”, which means “to send”. In English, this sentence would translate to: “I am we will have sent.” A good way to phrase this would be “Miser sum”, which means “I am miserable”.

2. The sentence “liberor volare” in English reads “I am freed to wish”. You want “liberor” in the passive infinitive: “liberari volo” means “I wish to be freed”. This applies also to “liberator volare” in your second sentence. It should read “liberari volt”, or “he wants to be freed”.

3. You don’t need the “nos” at the beginning of your third paragraph. Since the verb “necabimus” has the ending –imus, it already contains the “we”.

4. The form “surrexet” in your final sentence does not actually exist. If you were trying to say “surrexit”, that would be a future perfect form, which must be translated “will have risen” in English.

5. The verb “discedere”, or to go/march off, depart, withdraw, scatter, dissipate, or abandon, does not really translate “fall”. If you truly wanted to say “fall”, you would use the verb “cadere”, which means to fall, sink, drop, or topple. But what I think you’re really trying to say is that the death of the king will occur or happen. In this case, you should probably use the verb “feri” in the future indicative active or “fiet”, which means "it will happen/come about".

All in all, excellent job, and I'm so happy to see the classics being kept alive! Keep up the good work, and don't let yourself become discouraged by either my nitpicking, or by a lack of an audience for things such as Latin. Those who put down dead languages just don't know what they're missing. :)
VolatileLove chapter 1 . 6/9/2011
that was a story similar to what a 1st grader would write. just saying. it was pathetic.
Triizore chapter 1 . 6/27/2010
Nice.
SQ333 chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Joy! There's a story in Latin! :-) Yeah, does sound like Ecce Romani. Oh the years spent reading that textbook... And to think. At the end. Titus dies! *lacrimo*
SAKoi chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
ahaha. I was looking just to see what was put up that was in latin. haha . Makes me nostalgic.
phangirl27 chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
I
ransomletter chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
Haha! latinam amo. This sounds a little like it was taken from Ecce Romani. was it?
smile for the sunshine chapter 1 . 6/7/2007
cool! I didn't read the description originally. I think it's so cool that you wrote one in latin! I was actually thinking of translating one of my short ones to francais but didn't get the chance to yet. I think the reason I hadn't looked at it at first was simply I didn't get what it meant...lol; I don't know latin.
whisperedkiss chapter 1 . 5/28/2007
I don't know Latin at all...but I can't help but wonder if the sentences aren't capitalized on purpose.
kelsi bones chapter 1 . 5/27/2007
I'll agree, it's not very wonderful so far, but come on! You only have about seven full sentences. I'm sure that if you kept writing (in english, I don't understand latin) you could have an awesome story.