Reviews for epitaph
theinfinitebee chapter 1 . 6/20/2008
This sends chills up and down my spine, this one does. Especially the first line; that caught my attention immediately.

I like the dark, descriptiveness that's in this one, and the meanings hidden between the lines.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, I felt the exact same way after last January, and again this April. If I'm not, well then, ignore this.

I've read this several times trying to grasp all the meanings, and I think I know how you feel: Not wanting constant attention, wanting to be left alone, introverted, possibly annoyed at attention, people, and life itself, and - this was written your Sophomore year? - suicidal. After reading this several times, and tearing this poem apart bit by bit, I still feel as though I'm missing some hidden meaning.

"under this oppressive weight of your molten gaze" is a very powerful line. "even as i scribble this" is an image that I absolutely love.

The second stanza is very deep, very dark, and very morbid. (Very clear that you were reading Plath...you seem to be emulating her, even if unintentionally.) Reading this, and equating it to myself, it brought tears to my eyes. It kills me to think that you thought the same thoughts. (No pun intended.)

Very well written. Definitely not, as you so often say your poetry is, "teen angst."
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 11/10/2007
Good poem.

Twilight Starr
Three Cheers for Eve chapter 1 . 7/6/2007
Well, may I first say I feel very infamous and glamourous for being mentioned in the summary?

Now that my pointless ego-stroking has been put out of sight and out of mind; let's get to the actually productive part of the review, shall we?

Honestly, my favourite line has to be, "...my finger-bones are splintering skywards" I'm not sure what it is about that line that speaks to me, but I've been sitting here re-re-reading that just appreciating it's beauty.

This is the type of poem I always aspire to write, and always fall short of; perhaps it has something to do with my 'write and post' mentality, but your poems have layers upon layers of depth and hidden meaning that mine lack (yes, I just plagarized that analogy from Shrek. Don't rat me out). Can I steal your brain?
Lost in A World of Pain chapter 1 . 6/8/2007
I've read this poem several times to try and get the gist of it. I'll start at what I view as the more superficial part of the poem, the one which most readers remark on, namely the use of the language. It is very well done, many metaphorical remarks that can have several connotations, if I were to think about them for some time. However, having said that, I'll move on to what I think lies beyond the written words. The poem is seated with meaning throughout it's course and I don't believe that any part or portion of the poem was written without a desired intention. Having a small idea of your feelings (thanks to your reply) I would guess that this is how you may have felt at a low moment (although for some people this low is longer than a mere moment), and that the person being described wishes to merely be left alone. Being somewhat introverted myself I can empathize with such feelings. While feelings of loneliness are being experienced or even desired, an interesting fact, I think (although it's probably not important) is that each and every one of us, no matter how introverted we are, hope, even if it is just a little bit, that somebody will care and be concerned about us. The last stanza of your poem alludes to this, as you say a person can "bury these bones" but you don't want anybody to look for them may indicate that you can acknowledge people but don't want their continual attention. Although I'm probably way off the mark, so I'll end my misinterpretations. A good poem. Keep it up.

Cheers

Lost in A World of Pain
Zeurpiet chapter 1 . 6/1/2007
Me likey... it's really good and has a sort of dark theme to it-which I like. Wonderfully descriptive language. Keep writing!