Reviews for magnolias
theinfinitebee chapter 1 . 6/20/2008
I could have SWORN I reviewed this one before!

I think, and I may be way off, that this poem would be hard to interpret if one didn't know you or your fascination for magnolias.

Last line is the best. I love the phrases "moon-eyed and word-drunk." (Which I did NOT steal from you.)
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 11/10/2007
I find this poem adorable. Nice work.

Twilight Starr
Three Cheers for Eve chapter 1 . 9/26/2007
Ohh, Julia!

Yes, I'm back. In every sense of the word (but the true question is; did I ever leave?)

So, you guilt-ed me the other day into reviewing, and I felt that this (supercalifradgelisic) poem was a prime candidate.

I feel the need to warn you that at some point I will steal (knowingly or not) the phrase you used here; 'word-drunk'. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. It's something that I know will stay with me forever, because it's exactly how I feel sometimes, and you succeeded in making me feel that with this poem. The ending was also one of the more brilliant things I've ever read; "funny, how they still smell sweet". You managed to use sensory words in a way that they were not truly meant to be used, and thus made them all the more effective.

Brava!
Lost in A World of Pain chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
Hmm, I must be honest in admitting that this poem, while pleasing to the ear and easy to visualise in the mind, is difficult to try and interpret, although that's most likely my fault. The way I perceive what is being written here is the feelings for a person that, like a magnolia that has a limited life span, should have wilted and died, yet, as the human body is, doesn't allow feelings and emotions to follow that course. The large difference, as noted in your poem, is that magnolias wilt and die, leaving a stench or foul smell, yet again the emotions experienced do not follow this course. Your comparison between a magnolias life and the feelings for a person that should have followed similar suit, is very interesting. Nobody can truly understand the treacherous heart that fills one with desire at the most inoppurtune times, and your poem seems to indicate this in a very subtle manner. But, I've most likely missed the boat completely, so I hope this review made sense and that the interpretation wasn't completely boring or wrong. Well written!

Cheers

Lost in A World of Pain
Kissing Concrete chapter 1 . 6/1/2007
beautiful words and the way you string them together touches my heart! no, seriously... i especially like the line "moon-eyed and word-drunk"