Reviews for Defective
NinjaEeveeKitty chapter 1 . 7/13
I found this essay thirteen years after it was posted. I am asexual and around the age the author was. This speaks to me a bit, but I've accepted that I am not broken, and I hope the author knows that they're not broken either.
The Villain's Vindication chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
There are those who understand, you won't believe me, but it's true.

There are those who understand You.

I hope you are as lucky as I have become,

And some day find the Other One.

-Shae
Proximis Centuari chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
Coming from a fellow asexual, I know how you feel. But, you aren't a freak- you're you. The concept of 'freak' was only invented by a society of people who don't understand.
Majin Gray chapter 1 . 7/3/2007
Ah, the beauty and the tradgedy. Hear me: you are NOT defective, nor alone.

I've identified as gender-neutral since I was thirteen. Boy, girl, men, women, the entire mating concept is alien and distasteful to me. Never dated, never desired sex, but I desire love as much as anyone ever has. And though my additude (and my writings) are more than a little sexual in nature, such blind impulses are not nearly so weighty as society would have us believe. Every media schtik in existence will try to tell you that finding a mate is one of the most important occasions in a person's life (moreso if you can find a different one every week, say), but it is, quite frankly, bullshit. Sex does not make you human, nor does the lack thereof. Sex does not equal love, or affection, or social stamina. It's become so grossly overeggagerated that children grow up without a concept of what it really means.

Whether you are asexual or not, you do not have to be alone.

Sorry for ranting...
jack0of0spades chapter 1 . 6/6/2007
I think I know what you're talking about, I have a friend that unil very recently described herself as asexual, and eventually we just took her word for it. We were actually more than a little shocked when she apparently either grew or snapped out of it. However, she was also clinically depressed, which I think is at least part of her reasons, at least (trying not to claim knowing anything about you when I'm not sure I do). But even without depression, apathy is plenty of psychological reason for your head and body to give up on the idea of sex, believing that you are not attractive so why bother, you know? And just spending your energies elsewhere. I have actually also read somewhere that women naturally have less libido than men, sometimes to the extreme of just shutting the whole thing off for anywhere from weeks to years.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I can't imagine fretting will do any good anyway. If you don't want a relationship right now, fine, you can find your companionship elsewhere. Cherish your friendships, make new ones, whatever. Life will take you where you need to go, just seek happiness in whatever way seems best to you. Fuck society, it's your life.

Hope this helped.