Reviews for A Word
dragonflydreamer chapter 1 . 5/27/2010
Congrats on winning the Review Marathon! Here's your second prize review:

(Sorry this is old. It's becoming a challenge to find pieces of yours that I haven't reviewed, haha).

Wow, really powerful piece. I sincerely hope this wasn't drawn from personal experience.

I love the concept of this, how one little thing can trigger so much of a reaction. The speaker being reminded of someone committing suicide is powerful, but I almost see this as going beyond that literal thing and expressing the general interconnectivity of things. Nice! It really made me think.

[A memory of you bodyslams into me] I like the use of the word "bodyslam."

I felt the second and third stanzas were a little too similar. I think it was the images of "swirling" and "flowing" thoughts that felt repetative.

"your makeup caked faced/and yur suit pushed up/high enough to hide the bruises] Great lines!
May Elizabeth chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
I've felt this way soo many times myself. Great job. Peace.
lymli chapter 1 . 5/30/2008
sometimes people say things without thinking too much, and it's a big mistake.
Evera19 chapter 1 . 4/12/2008
Wow, that was deep. I liked this I'm not sure why though probably because it put emotions into me, Hanging from the ceiling, sad.
XsilentXescapeX chapter 1 . 3/27/2008
hmm i can sense myself either adding something to my favorites or adding you to my favorites...

Captain Lucky chapter 1 . 3/17/2008
I really like the way you presented this. It was extremely sad, but I think you did really well at presenting the idea of someone who's been hurt inside, somewhat permanently, but feels the need to hide it. It really kind of gets you right here (*pounds fist over heart*)

NothingInHerGlassGreyEyes chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
Okay. I'll have to admit at first I was a little confused. I had to go back to the first stanza and re-read it. Then I understood the rest of it. I think this is truly a personal favorite. The way that the broken up sentences intensify the pain you are describing is unexplainable. This honestly brought back some painful experiences, and the entire time a single name ran through my head. Excellent job.
anonymous chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
I think that this poem has a wide range of emotion. The images created in one's head will stay for eternity.

What happened is tragic. It has changed my family's world also. I know things will never be the same. But hopefully they can only get better.

Keep on writing.
Nemonus chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
So true. how one inadvertant thing can hurt. Good descriptions here. Beginning almost in the middle of a sentence gave a nice impression of real life. This may be personal choice, but I tend to like my poems with periods at the end-it sortof wraps them up, encloses them. I'm sorry about Don...
a certain slant of light chapter 1 . 1/27/2008
This is so true... Very nice.
B.S. Ha chapter 1 . 12/13/2007
I like how you begin in the middle of something ("and then..."), because it shows how unexpected that word can be...

Good job

GothicSpook chapter 1 . 11/16/2007
I can completely relate to this at the moment. During a class lesson we were handing a poem and when I read it a memory which I had forgotten came crashing to me and put me down for days after, trying to push it back under at the moment.

I love the last stanza, I think thats the most powerful one as it sums up the poem brilliantly.
queenvixta chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
Beautiful piece again. Very well written, as always.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Indigo-Andie chapter 1 . 8/22/2007
i don't know if it's because i lived through a similar experience or you're writing says it, but i didn't need the A/N to make it clear what you were talking about.

good writing, like the way you circle back to the beginning. sorry about the experience though.
Shinyfighter chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
Jeez I come back from my dry spell and I see you still have incredible writing skills. I'm sorry for your uncle's b-friend and I hope your family can come through.