Reviews for Brittany's Curse
hi !

lijuan chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
hi !

Ray-Anne chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
I have an 'Adam' in a way.

But your author notes are the real thing of the story to me, because i know how hard it is, I don't have to read a story (which was extremely well depicted without a doubt) to understand it.

I think the author notes made it more real, in that almost painstakingly way. I liked that I read this, it made a niche in my head where so few are,

Kudos
Morohtar chapter 1 . 9/18/2008
Another weird story! (I just reviewed a very weird one!)

But this is weird in a different way. The plot (of this chapter at least) is simply of a girl who is different or ill or something. That is all it seems to be - but there is the suggestion that there is some external force to her insanity, rather than simple illness. Perhaps this is because the story is written directly and entirely from the perspective of Brittany - so we see the world at least partially as she sees it. There is a very real sense that the world is really as she sees it, that she isn't actually mad, the world is.

I love some of the techniques used - the flat descriptions of what she does, the notion that she understands what she is doing, but only barely. Those work really well, and create this sense of creeping insanity which adds to the creepy tone of the piece. I think that the insanity feels infectious, as if there is a danger of catching it from her.

The writing is good - it is direct and simple and very accessible. The grammar and spelling are entirely normal and natural - something which you could have changed and chopped about in order to make a sense of unreality. I like the standardized nature of it, it works really well because it counterpoints the insanity of what is actually happening in the story. The language is matter-of-fact, and that simply makes what is happening all the more stark.

I really enjoyed this story - but in a sort of "train wreck" way. There is the morbid curiosity of wanting to "watch the crazy person" and see what she does - but also that sense of wanting to watch from behind your hands, so you don't look like you are staring! I think that is a wonderful thing to have achieved - you've made the audience part of the story, and made it very real.

Good job!
WholeHeart chapter 2 . 12/4/2007
Hey, that's pretty good. I don't know how to describe it, just... Good job. Keep writing.
MetalCloud chapter 2 . 11/9/2007
Don't know why this took me so long to realise you edited it. Probably just me being stupid. Anyway, I can't think of words to describe how much this story really touches me. I think it's beautiful. Well written, brilliantly expressed, just all round incredible.
Twilight Starr chapter 2 . 10/28/2007
That was a sweet ending. :D

Twilight Starr
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 10/28/2007
Interesting and intriguing character. You have me wondering why she is the way she is, which I believe was your intention. Good job!

Good luck with writing, this story, and life.

Have a brilliant day.

Twilight Starr
Hell Is A Place chapter 2 . 9/27/2007
Mm...horsehead nebula.

So down to the basics. It's a short, simple story about a girl trying to overcome something, OCD. She overcomes this with an encounter with a boy (hawt stuff) and the twist is that he has it.

Now, it's all up to the author and to the reader, but can this story be better with a different way of writing? If OCD is a series of tricks and repetitions and annoyances, would writing in that style convey that feeling or would it be too convoluted to tell a story?

I was hoping the ending would be some large, wandering paragraph that throws the reader into the obsessive mind, but the ending went another way with the happy ending. It's not a bad ending.

And specifically there were some cool details like Horsehead Nebula and corn flakes. It's easy to tell the writer knows what she's talking about.

I would have written it a different way, but I'm not you, so how could I have written it? Instead, it was written by you, I can't change that and all I can do is read it or suggest a change. What does this mean? I don't know.

Maybe I should end the review. Here.
Lord Draken chapter 2 . 9/27/2007
Its a very well written story that honestly addresses and issue that I'm sure we can all understand. It sounds great.

I do think that the idea that her teachers don't know about her disorder is a little odd. Its not something realistically possible considering the circumstances of her OCD.

I do however believe you captured the mentality of the students really well. While I wish you could focus more on what's going on outside her OCD I see that you already face a challenge of expressing the dominance of the OCD in her life.

Still, really great job.
FallenAngelForever chapter 2 . 9/26/2007
Great story! You have an excellent writing style!
Bethany Bowen chapter 1 . 9/20/2007
I really like this story. I love the descriptions of how she feels and her behaviors, and I love the idea that she could get better. The author's note made the story especially sweet to me. Great job!
FrankCastleCM09 chapter 1 . 8/25/2007
Hey, I just joined review revolution and I was kind of browsing through the different members, seeing what type of stuff people write and you seem to be one of the more active people so thought I'd check out your work.

I just finished this and let me say, I applaud you. You've done an excellant job really capturing the essence of OCD and how a person with OCD might act/think/say, etc. I think you're a great writer just for that reason alone because as I'm thinking about it, I imagine that's a very hard thing to do. The characters all felt real, none of them forced, the story flowed smoothly, it was very original and touching. I just really enjoyed it all around. I felt bad for Brittany for being such an outcast and for the way everyone sees her, all because of something she really has no control over, especially in that type of environment. I also really enjoyed the ending, particularly the final line which was a fantastic way to go out.

I really enjoyed this and I look forward to reading more of your work. :)
FreakierThanThou chapter 1 . 8/24/2007
That was great. I love the way you describe the different things that Brittany does from her point of view, even if it's third person. You don't make it seem like it's written by someone who doesn't understand what she's going through but is pretending to in order to be the narrator. It's a very compassionate story, that's the only word I can think of for it.

The dialogue, though, seems a little odd. Not the way they say things (Is and Ts) but more... what they're saying? "I don't know what to say." That could be just me, though.

Other than that, I really like it. Seeing everyone else from Brittany's point of view, and then seeing Adam from her point of view were really great. I love your style, too, it fits the story perfectly.

Keep writing,

-Fran
SamanthaNicole chapter 1 . 8/24/2007
This story was very eye-opening, not to mention one of the most interesting things I've had the chance to read here.

I love the way you captured Brittany's compulsions - my cousin has OCD, and it's one thing to witness it, and another entirely to know how they're feeling. Thank you for the insight.

Your style of writing is genius, and I hope to see more from you soon. Lovely, lovely job.

Cheers,