Reviews for Black businesses hurting the community
YasuRan chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
Wow, I never thought of looking at this topic like this. You gave some good plausible explanations for what you think is right and I applaud you for that.
Elizabeth White chapter 1 . 4/24/2008
This is a thought-provoking essay. I enjoy the fact that you put your time into thinking about this issue.

Personally, myself being a Latino, and an immigrant to boot, I'd just rather not advertise my race to others. I've been on the mocking end of racial slurs (and yes, it DOES happen, even in good, old America), and I've even defended others from racial slurs.

It's OK for you to have your opinion, and I respect it. You're entitled to it. I just don't agree with it because I think that there are people who would mock or even alienate the business owners, or worse. I can see where you're coming from with the 'pride of your race' thing, but some would squish it quickly.
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 7/10/2007
Greetings! Let me take a look through this. I'll make technical comments as I go.

1.) At the very beginning, Fictionpress ate your formatting and left a -1 in it's place. Might want to delete that.

2.) "So I guess that means I owe my friend for teaching me this lesson, I just won't tell him ,his head is big enough already." - Besides the trivial fact that the last comma switched places with the space before it, this is a run-on sentence. The reason you can tell it is so is because the phrase "I just won't tell him" can stand on it's own. If you want to write it all in one sentence either use a semicolon or (better, in my opinion) break it into two sentences. Alternatively, you can add a "but" after "lesson" and continue to use a comma.

Very good! Beyond that one thing, I didn't see anything even grammatically questionable. Thanks much! I don't get to read much on this site of such good quality.

And that goes for thought quality as well as grammar quality. This was a very well-written and thought-provoking essay. Your comments about the self-defeating attitudes and the slavery counter-example were particularly profound. And the example of why white people can't promote their establishments as white owned was also very clear.

Of course, there are those who would still argue against you. And I think the first question they'll ask is this: If it's good for black people to promote their businesses as black-owned, then why do so many black people get upset when white people label their businesses as "white-owned". There are poor, self-defeatist white people too. Why are blacks encouraged to label themselves blatantly while whites are forced to be more subtle? (For the record, I find such an argument petty and childish, but it's one I've heard and if you're thinking on the issue, you may as well consider it all the way til the end of the thought.)

I've got a C2 where I collect good, thought-provoking essays, and I'm going to throw this one in there. Well done and thanks for the thoughts!

-Reythia
the coffee fiend chapter 1 . 7/9/2007
I think I actually agree with your friend...although I'm not from America so I'm not sure I can gauge how things are in the USA.

But, in my country we have the Maori (indigenous people, marginalised in the past) and the white people (Pakeha, who settled te country). We have similar problems of race integration, although from the sounds of it not so severe. Maori don't have any problems getting jobs, and education is free until tertiary, and then you can get a student loan from the government, so basically anyone can study at University, and then go on to an academic or high paying career.

I am very against (in my own culture and others) "them and us" mentality. Peace will only come about if black and white people (or Maori and Pakeha) regard themselves as one nation, one culture. By creating a volunatary segragation of sorts, by saying "Black Owned" they are automatically excluding others not of their race. If they were more subtle about it (by using your white business owner's posters) they're not engendering seperation, they're encouraging all people to look on blacks and whites as Americans, and be proud of their accomplishments, as opposed to seeing their race and being happy for white/black people as opposed to every small business owner.

I can't imagine what it's like to have a heritage of slavery (although my family were originally European serfs) because I've looked past it. I try and move on from the flaws and errors of the past and create a new and equal opportunity future. When I see an American, black or white, I think of them as an American. It's a shame that Americans themselves (even blacks it seems from your essay) can't do that.

(just my two cents, nothing personal of course!)

Anyway, I was impressed with your essay at any rate. It had a nice flow and you laid out your points clearly. I also liked how you described your previous debate with your friend, I found that amusing, as I know EXACTLY what it's like to be confronted with an argument that shakes your beliefs and then have to rationalise through the issue!

the coffee fiend