Reviews for By Divine Agency
Daydream Nation chapter 11 . 7/29/2008
This is seriously the best thing ever. It's all so creative, with all this technology stuff thrown out, but it's written so well that it's not overwhelming at all. And the past is so heartbreaking & emotional. I love, love, love it.
persimmon chapter 11 . 5/9/2008
Awesome. Right at the end of Rings' part, I think my heart stopped - just for a second -. Again, awesome, and w00t for the "Developments" this story is really starting to pick up and I can't wait to see what happens.

On the technical side of things, great writing once again, you're really right on the edge of sounding professional, it's really impressive. Just a couple of little syntax errors though which I'll just list quickly, but seriously, your expression is great.

wasn't still the most best career - either "most interesting" or some other adjective without the "best", or else just "best" and no "most"

quite morally at piece - at peace?

and their are more than a few international banks - "there" are more than...

Well, until next time...and I do love Darien - Awesome!
persimmon chapter 10 . 4/20/2008
Oh wow, we actually get to see things from Athene's point of view. Cool as.

Is Rings' ability to pick up on feelings a part of his being a Carrier as described earlier? Is that the same as being sensitive?

And I'm seriously worried about Spiral. I don't know whether it's better or worse knowing that he's not going to make it. On one hand, it's depressing because I know there's no hope, but if I didn't know already, I'm guessing that when it finally did happen, I'd be absolutely devastated.

I'm rather hoping that Darien will show up in the next chapter, at least along with his angst there's some comic relief...I think we need a bit of a pick-me-up around about now. Not that it's not well written, and well thought out. I won't go into my rant about "the state of science fiction" because I'm rather tired right now, but just to elaborate:

Science fiction and Fantasy are my favourite genres but I don't read them terribly often, usually because they are very rarely well done, even by published writers. Honestly, I don't know how those publishers can actually bare to print some of that stuff. They generally follow the same format and the authors revel in giving everyone and everything names that are impossible to pronounce (the general rule seems to be to add as many x's, y's and z's to names in science fiction and then to add random apostrophes in the middle of words for fantasy - it's riddiculus, and to be honest, it gives me the shits...nothing is more important than the names of your main characters because - unless you decide to be rather artistic and just leave names out all together - some names are going to be pretty well the most used words in a novel - after the general conjunctions, prepositions and pronouns - therefore they've got to be at least somewhat believable. )

I'm going to ignore that tangent and simply state: You do science fiction seriously well. You have awesome, well rounded characters - well Darien's beginning to round out - Rings is proving to be rather mysterious so we don't know to much there (it is difficult to come to terms with a character that is still coming to terms with themselves - not that this is a bad thing, actually, it's one of the driving factors behind the story.) In addition, the story really hasn't had time yet to really delve into each character anyway, but still, so far it's looking very promising.

Meh, I'm really tired and have no idea what I'm typing now. I think the general gist was that you're totally rocking my socks. I did have a proper conclusion - something along the lines of this being a better concept or something...or maybe writing style...?

Whatever, you rule...though I shall have to be more awake next time and try to think of some constructive criticism so that we can try to further up your p0wnage. -

Hope the real world's treating you nicely, till next chapter then,

Adios.
Amethyst Asheryhn chapter 10 . 4/17/2008
Poor Spiral... I really felt bad for everyone in this chapter. You write them pretty dang well, for sure. I like the dialog at the end between the two instructors... And I like how even though Rings wants to go to Spiral and wants to be strong and all, he can't always stay that way. That's just how people are and I'm glad you're not making Rings totally, always strong and self-sacrificing and all.

I can't wait for another chapter!

jayriel chapter 9 . 3/28/2008
First off...sorry? Being swallowed by exams right now so, yeah...didn't really have much time to review.

But anyway, can I just say, I really liked this line,

Who was still strong enough to keep a spirit other than their own aloft?

Was just a nice way of expressing that idea. Anyway, the intrigue continues. Spiral is dead. I cry.
Amethystasheryn chapter 9 . 3/14/2008
I like this chapter! I don't usually enjoy the Present chapters as much (preferring the Past ones) but this one was good.

Thanks!

Blithe chapter 7 . 2/27/2008
Rather creepy how similar Artemis and Athene are, even down to using the same code names...it makes Artemis' motives rather questionable, right? They could just be wanting to take Athene down so they can be #1.

Anyway, it's a lovely and revealing chapter. And personally, I prefer the "present" ones to the "past"-though that's just a tendency of mine.
Blithe chapter 5 . 2/27/2008
Darien is such a sweetheart xD

I'm really enjoying this so far; now I think I'll end this review so I can keep on reading. ;)
persimmon chapter 7 . 1/17/2008
yay! updates! I'm really sorry I didn't find this sooner, an extended and Internets-less stay in the country with relatives (in almost 50 degree heat), seems to have left my brain in far worse condition than usual. I completely forgot that I had an e-mail account to check *headdesk* So, feeling terribly guilty at probably offending the majority of my friends list, I finally found your update e-mail! And there was much rejoicing. -

So, there was much angst in this chapter. If find it interesting that you have both main characters somewhat emotionally attached to previous beaus (though both are clearly out of commission in some capacity). It leaves me very curious as to how they'll manage to start leaving the past behind, unlike most characters with those sorts of burdens, from both Rings and Darien there is a real sense of longing and reverence from the past which will not be easily negated by the first hot alternative that walks past. I especially like the characterisation of Darien, and the way that the two sides of his personality are so well drawn together. Both the out going slut persona and the inner desperation to please and to be please really feel a part of the character. It's not as though there's one Darien that the world sees and the reality is the complete opposite yet hidden, both are intrinsically part of his character and personality, and it's how he's trying to deal with his losses that is affecting the way people judge his character.

If that made no sense at all, basically, I think Darien is a deep, well-written and complex character and I congratulate you on his creation.

I'm also in love with your glossaries, the amount of dedication there is impressive. Is it purely research undertaken as part of the story, or do you have a particular interest in mythology?
StarGazer88 chapter 3 . 1/7/2008
Wow, this is absolutely amazing. I'm totally hooked and am sure to be burning the midnight oil a lot in the coming days! You've mannaged to work in some really interesting ideas, and I'm intregued so far, wondering in which of the many directions you will take this (I only had time to get up to chapter 2). I love greek mythology, and I've studied latin for 5 years and acient greek for 3. I've always felt a need to work it into the story, somehow. I hope you put some good curses in! I will definatly be looking at your other work. I had a sort of similar idea to this about three years ago which I gave up on, but I'm glad to see you have mannaged it far better then me, I would have scrambled a perfectly good idea.

Thanks!

StarGazer

PS

Please feel free to read mine too!
S McCall chapter 7 . 1/4/2008
I'm really enjoying the characters in your story. I wish Darien seemed more self-sufficient. So-far I'm not seeing him as an accomplished assassin. I felt like the only reason he succeeded in his previous assignment was because of Rings. However, I really like the glimpse of his background we get in this chapter, and he is very appealing and intriguing. I always like damaged characters best, especially the ones that don't quite realize how damaged they are.

I'm also enjoying Rings a lot. He is another appealing, damaged character. Although, I feel like it would be more effective if we weren't given the chapters that take place in the past. So far I don't see much reason for them. They don't give us anything we can't figure out from the chapters that take place in the present, and Rings would be a more interesting character if we were trying to puzzle out his mystery along with Darien. On the whole though, you've got a creative setting and idea, and two characters that I'm seriously rooting for, and hoping to see more of.
Amethyst Asheryn chapter 7 . 1/4/2008
I like this chapter, too. Although i can't wait for the next Past chapter. :) Update soon?

Amethyst Asheryn chapter 6 . 1/4/2008
Sorry I didn't review before this. I really like this idea.

I agree with Snark, as well as Mama...I don't quite see why Rings and them would actually ask for punishment, which is pretty much what they're doing. *shrug* dunno. I wouldn't do that if I were them, but that's just me. But I wouldn't do what Snark is doing either...

Thanks

persimmon chapter 6 . 12/31/2007
I'm seriously in awe of your writing skills here, especially your ability to convey what is turning into quite a complex story line in relatively few words through action and dialogue. At the moment I'm preferring the Past story thread, I guess mainly because somehow you've managed to create a main cast of thirteen which are so well characterised that I have no problems remembering each of their names, personalities and descriptions (something that totally blows me away). However, I'm dying in anticipation for Spiral, there's foreshadowing that something bad has happened, and really, this kills me, I like Darien, but...I'm very prone to OTPs and Spiral/Rings is so sweet. -