Reviews for The Quirks and Quibbles of Online Fiction
daydee chapter 5 . 10/8/2010
I love you for putting this up!

I think my worst pet peeve on FictionPress is using the word 'drug' for 'dragged'.
ahappytune chapter 3 . 1/25/2010
DEFENESTRATE! i (L) that word :) i only know it coz it was in the tamuli though and i never look stuff up - i dont need to. i do know quite a lot of words, and the ones i dont't know my parents soon tell me what it means. normal christmas discussion when my grandparents and aunt and uncle are at my house: tautology. and similar things. i don't think i'm even allowed to commit any of the sins you've mentioned . yes, i am lazy in online talking. oh, and i don't think you should get flamed for this, coz after all, it is your own opinion and it's not as if you're singling people out and saying 'their work is bad' so yeah. if that made any sense whatsoever?
Lalaith7 chapter 2 . 1/2/2010
Something to note as well is that most people learn their best grammar not from school, but from reading quality writing. This is actually how I improved my grammar. It's important then when you're struggling grammatically to examine the quality of what you typically read. Although I read online fiction often and have been doing so since the age of 12 or so, I'm very glad that I had a firm foundation in well written published works that allows me to recognize poor grammar and use correct grammar in my own work. Although I do still struggle with effect and affect...
WrittenInTheSand chapter 5 . 12/1/2009
I actually find this an interesting read.

On the summary it says that you update weekly, so I shouldn't presume this is over.

I've read several stories (or..guides? I guess you could call it) like this on FanFiction and the two people who wrote it managed to put it down all in one chapter.

I should thank you for putting in your time to explain it all. Just looking at it I realize that everyone who writes on this site still has a lot to learn. Including me,because seriously, I made almost every single mistake pointed out.

So thank you for writing this and I apologize if this review has any of that bad grammar and spelling you were talking about. I'm not very careful when typing reviews.
rosakissu chapter 3 . 3/21/2009
ah there IS one thing that's not right, you said that there are about 988,968 words in English, and well, I would explain myself why I don't agree with that staitment, but seriously I am right now too lazy to do it, so I'll give you a link and you can read it yourself if you want.

/id/2139611/
rosakissu chapter 4 . 10/22/2008
Well I just finished reading them all, and now you reminded me of the fact that I wanted to read Tolstoy for ages, thought I'll have to read Dostoevsky first :) And then I am thinking maybe I really should read it in Russian, would help me finally to learn to actually write correctly in that damn language...sigh...

Anyways, this last chapter was good, I like the way you explain those things, hah, I love it when people know how to use just the right amount of sarcasm, makes me smile :)

keep it up

ani
rosakissu chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
ah, this is fantastic, finally someone else who gets annoyed by these things, I mean my English is anything but perfect, but then again, it's not my first language (4rth actually), and that's why I am not going to submit anything on here until I am more confident about it (and until I finally overcome my laziness and actually finish at least one story). But yeah, I am gonna go read the other chapters

bye
dreamforever101 chapter 5 . 12/10/2007
I totally agree with this chapter. There are so many cliched characters on fp! I wish people would come up with original complex characters! I like the example you gave with the emo girl and the happy-go-lucky one. Its soo true. I've thought of many of the same things as you while reading different stories... but its nice to actually read them in specific words. It makes my thoughts seem more concrete.
DOORphrame chapter 5 . 8/27/2007
It makes me glad to find another person who's gotten a bit irritated with online fiction as well.
indigo-blue chapter 1 . 8/27/2007
Ok,so I was reading your story because I was bored and I noticed that you put flames in apostrophes like 'this'. So... you obviously don't believe in them and aren't expecting any. So... I'll send you one. You're probably annoyed at me now for over-using the word so. You're that kind of person, I can tell. Pedantic and self-obsessed and full of pride for a language that you stole off the British anyway. If you think I'm being completely unreasonable, so are you by writing this "story"(proper way of typing inverted commas). Online fiction is cool, you're not, and you know it.

P.S. : You should be an English teacher. :)

*Indy#
mintchoc chapter 3 . 8/14/2007
I love the word "defenestrate." We should use that word more often. Yes, we should. (And I even learned it off of 's WOTD. D)
Susurrent Threnody chapter 3 . 8/13/2007
Thank God you're writing this. You make several valid points.

Thank you for explaining the difference between 'than' and 'then', that's the one word I could never get anyone to explain clearly.
Unbeknownst chapter 3 . 8/13/2007
It might also be worthwhile to point out that while "said" grates on the nerves if used too often, it's equally jarring when a writer never uses the word "said," but instead looks as though they opened the thesaurus to the appropriate page, closed their eyes, stabbed at it with their finger, and picked whatever word they happened to land on. Honestly, in that case, I'd almost rather they used "said," than some obscure word they have no idea how to use correctly.

Regarding this particular aspect of the rant itself . . . this belongs more in the essay section than the general section (it's not general fiction; it is more like an essay), and while I did not particularly like your last two updates, this one I could agree with. The topics of your "rants" are getting better, and the rants themselves are becoming more structured and easier to agree with. Keep it up.
abba12 chapter 3 . 8/13/2007
RhymeZone is awesome! lol
Unbeknownst chapter 2 . 8/11/2007
Eh, you can usually judge by the summary whether or not the story is going to suck, and you can read the reviews, too, and determine if it's worth reading.

But I suppose that would be logical, and what is the internet for, if not illogic? Continue with the rant, by all means . . . but I do feel the need to point out that writing is not "literally pointless" if it doesn't make sense; stream-of-consciousness exists for a reason.