Reviews for God Politics
The Dark Jesuit chapter 1 . 8/4/2007
I think the idea was to be one-track minded, thought I'm not sure. There are plenty of people to turn to who will teach you how to use politics to a godly end, and I think right here he was just trying to galvanize us with a rather extreme, though truthful, ideology.
the coffee fiend chapter 1 . 8/3/2007
Interestingly enough, an esteemed Biblical scholar Albert Schweitzer came to a similar conclusion as yourself. He deduced that the actual Jesus was probably far to radical for any kind of normative society. After this, he quit his academic job, moved to the Congo and worked in a leper colony. He lived his Christianity.

I don't know if I agree with your concept that change can come through political means (in a lot of countries, Protestantism was heralded through politics...case and point being England) but I do think that religion should stay out of politics. Society is becoming more pluralistic (as in, there is more than one or two accepted religions in each country) and the only way we can stop pogroms and religious persecution is to have the government non religious, that way they aren't favoring just one group. Of course, your government can't be favor the non-religious over the religious either, it has to be as neutral as possible.

I always think that religious people should vote for the leader that should do the best for the country as a whole...especially economically and by maintaining state services like welfare, healthcare and education rather than voting according to religion. (I realise that the US isn't so focused on these state services, but I think they should be.) Besides, that what your church leaders are for. Look to your religious institutions to provide the moral checks on your life, and look to the government to protect and aid the country.

However, this was a thought provoking essay and I admire your generosity of spirit. The world would be a better place if the religious looked to the welfare of mankind rather than scheming how to get more power. Power and religion don't mix, I thought the Middle Ages taught us that!

the coffee fiend
No Longer An Account chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
Excellent essay, mein Freund. I agree, more or less (even though I do lean excessively left, Socialist programs and all that). Nice work.
Fractured Illusion chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
I'm not a Christian, so forgive my lack of understanding.

But isn't it politics that rule the world after all? If one wants to change the world and its people, politics would be one way, and I am not sure why you wouldn't acknowledge that.

Because those in charge haven't changed the world yet? Many reforms have been made and things have improved, as well as they have not.

And *I* think it is important to remember, that the politicians are, unlike Jesus, not perfect. Just like you and me. Ignoring politics seems a tad too drastic from my point of view. The politics is what needs to be changed to improve many things...

Essay is nice though, and you do deliver your point. But you are a tad too one-track minded. Broaden your spectrum, give space for other people's (who disagree with you) views before coming to a conclusion. It will seem much more credible and well made that way.
Aslan Israel chapter 1 . 8/1/2007
I think it's important not to rule out politics completely. You spend too much time lumping all political leaders into that all-i-want-is-more-money stereotype. There are actually people who care in those positions.
anonymous chapter 1 . 8/1/2007
I agree, but I think you should broaden your essay and make it more specific to encompess certain issues that are often addressed by Christians and closley tied to politics.