Reviews for Ashes, Ashes
m chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
hi, this is the first of your OF pieces that i've read (i like your ff a lot)and I really think it's well written. As an atheist who sees a lot of beauty in faith, i thought you really got into the protagonist's head and showed genuine conflict without the condescending tone some religious people take. I loved your description of the church, especially the line describing the dead as "maybe in ashes, maybe in dust". I liked the way the character's sister makes them feel like a criminal, and that they'll never say that because she's trying to help. The character's admission that they don't believe in god and can't not believe is well done, especially the image of the sister and the mother with communion bread. The last parentheses paragraph is beautiful and tragic, and rings completely true. this is getting really long but i loved the story and thought i should leave a proper review.
Halogen11 chapter 1 . 9/2/2007
Oh my gosh. Wow. Very good. Very expressive, and excellent perception. Had to read all of it. Twice.

(And it's beautiful, I think...)
I Found Myself At 24 chapter 1 . 9/2/2007
This was very well-written, as usual when it comes to your pieces. I like how you laid both sides out equally and more importantly in a respectful way. I have always loved your writing style and greatly enjoy reading your different pieces.

I think the observation you made of how important the Christian faith is to many Christians is a right one; however I don't think it's just the idea of holding on to something for the sake of holding on, because then you could just hold on to anything. So, if you could hold on to just anything, what would make that better than just forgetting the whole thing and holding on to nothing?

I do think there is an aspect of hope when it comes to faith, but if you look at the Bible and what the Christian faith teaches, this hope is only part of a bigger picture - more expectancy than vain wishing, which was the impression I got from what you wrote. Hebrews 11:1 says "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. " Faith can't really come down to something completely tangible or explicable because this is God we're trying to describe. God is someone too complex to be completely understood, because if we could completely understand Him, there would be no more need for Him as we would have made ourselves to be equals. When people say they've put their trust in God, it's just that, trust.

Ok, well, I wrote a bit more than I intended but I just wanted to put that all down and see what you thought. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it if you wanted. Once again, great work on this piece and I look forward to reading anything else of yours in the future! :)
C-Mack15 chapter 1 . 9/1/2007
Very powerful story you have there my friend. Love those around you, whether they believe in your beliefs or not, that is the beauty of this work here. It's quite depressing now, people constantly fighting over beliefs. Everyone should believe in their own dogma, if you ask me, and yet, they shouldn't have to feel so scared or threatened by someone whose beliefs differs from their own.

Despite the brother's conflicting beliefs and rather cold look on the world, his sister still loves him, and the story gives a good telling of tolerance. For anyone who read reviews before the story, I recommend this story for anyone, believer or not. For the author, I tip my hat to you for this.