Reviews for Nikah
WishBlade chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
I think the term for a hindi wedding is Vivah, but other than that, this was lovely! I'm indian, so it felt kind of nice to read this. Awesome story! ]
blurrylights chapter 1 . 2/28/2009
It was nice to read this, especially since i am Indian and I don't see many stories with the Indian culture portrayed positively. However, it was surprising to read that an Indian girl so ritually and culturally connected to India was allowed to marry a white man.

Anyway, you did a great job. I really enjoyed reading it. :)
ChocolateIsMyDrug chapter 1 . 8/26/2008
That was lovely! I really like how you wrote this - makes me think of a couple I know like this, Indian girl and Aussie guy. The only thing I can pick on is the Southern accent - I found it a little hard to read. But apart from that, it was really nicely written story - makes me want my own gora chora, LOL! )
SparklingStar25 chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
this is so cute!I just loved how you portrayed the Indian culture here...

I am an Indian..and this made my day!

Im thinking you are too...

oh and i loved that little hindi line you added there...just adorable!

:D
Kagennotsuki chapter 1 . 2/22/2008
Before reading this story I knew next to nothing about Indian culture. This was very interesting and insightful too. All throughout the story I was going back and forth, looking up the various garments and items so I'd know what they looked like. It looks so much more fun and carries much deeper, symbolic meaning than the "traditional" American/Catholic weddings that I would normally think of.

The accent caught me off guard but I could understand Cameron easily enough. The constant switching between past and present confused me every once in a while but it wasn't a serious problem. Towards the end there were a lot of sentences I just couldn't make sense of - it seemed you were referring to Cameron as a girl in one paragraph.

Aside from a few structural ambiguities the story is well-written and I definately enjoyed reading it.

May your fingers flow with whimsical freedom.

May your pen flow with whimsical freedom.
Sierra507 chapter 1 . 2/18/2008
-hey

this is pretty good; but one thing, NIKAH is the name for a muslim wedding, and VIVAH is the name for a hindu wedding.

second thing; u explained everything in too much detail, all the rituals could hav been explained briefly.
Sunny chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
Cute, I guess. Isn't nikah the name for a Muslim wedding?

This has a feeling of wanting to inform, rather than to just tell a story. There's too much explaining instead of just letting the story go and as a result, it doesn't portray the emotions of a wedding, just the motions.
greenonthecurb chapter 1 . 9/2/2007
I'm Indian myself and had no idea that this was what happened.

xD

I liked it alot, it was cute.

G'luck,

greenonthecurb
jan chapter 1 . 9/1/2007
i am impressed. u managed to keep the cultural aspect intact without sounding cheesy but keep it cute and modern at the same time. it's a great culture and u kept it looking good instead of tarnishing it or making it seem "different". the sister in law asking to call gehna bhabhi was so cute and so much other stuff...too bad its just a one shot..lol..way cute and great writing.
Inkmaids chapter 1 . 9/1/2007
I liked this! Cultural themes are always very down-to-earth and interesting, because one is almost always learning something new (from a writer who is more learned in the subject than he is). At first I thought it could read a little confusingly, because the shifts between the present and the past (rather, the events and the thoughts) are so frequent. But after a bit you begin to distinguish between the italics and the normal font - and the change in tenses help, too.

I think that other than a few wording glitches (ex: "cut close top"), this was great and different! You introduced the culture nicely and skillfully prevented much of the definitions from reading like a textbook.