Reviews for Vermilion
shadowedbreath chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
This was beautiful! Absolutely captivating...! X)

The use of metaphor and contrast was excellently done. Very good job.

Please write more :)
hazyglow chapter 1 . 6/28/2009
Wow. The imagery in this is so vivid that I can see it playing out in my head. I also like your format, in that you started the poem with one line and ended it with one line. I especially love your second stanza:

"And the sun, that gleaming pomegranate, is torn in two by the horizon—

gutted by its silver teeth of summits and winter sycamores

—and swallowed beneath the earth."

When mythologies are used as muses or as inspiration for a piece of poetry/prose, I often find them to be quite clichéd, but I can definitely say that this piece of poetry sits on the other side of the spectrum:

Morbidly beautiful and captivating.
Zeurpiet chapter 1 . 12/9/2007
Hades has feelings :D.

I love the emotions present in this piece and I can almost see this happening. Your descriptions of the pomegranite seeds are something else :).

'Decaying, half-devoured suns litter her dreary throne:

their seeds, like tarnished rubies, spilled at her feet.

They are her sustenance until spring.'

-Fantastic, really.
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 11/10/2007
Great, descriptive piece.

Twilight Starr
Tuft of Fluff chapter 1 . 10/30/2007
The imagery you created with this poem was amazing! I loved how this embellished a scene in a Greek myth that most people don't think much about. Keep writing!
Kissing Concrete chapter 1 . 9/14/2007
wow. very nice. i like that it has a story behind it and still has these seemingly random words in it, like "gutted by its silver teeth of summits and winter sycamores". how do you come up with this stuff? and i love that the pomegranates and suns are one and the same. beautiful.
mizu no kokoro chapter 1 . 9/4/2007
lovely imagery. myth and painting. well done

keep writing
painting andromeda chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
'Persephone presses the blazing fruit to her dripping mouth,

kisses its pulsing radiance with her ravaged, luscious lips,

and tosses it aside.'

Beautiful. Simply amazing. The imagery in this poem is breathtaking, and the last line is like a punch to the gut, raw, sharp, and eloquent. Great feat.
My Sweetheart the Drunk chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
Hello there, it's Anna. I'm being lazy and refusing to change over to my Three Cheers for Eve account, but I hope you don't mind.

I have to confess; this totally was out of left field to me. It's very different from your usual style, and it's taking me some time to get used to it. This feels much more straight forward than some of your previous works; I used to sit and read them over and over again trying to extract as many meanings from them as possible. While the vocabulary is up to your previous standards (That is, no word under 2898437523485 letters) that second level of meaning just isn't there for me.

I didn't not like it (My apologies for the double negative), but this style just has me a little confused.
the lost yarn spinner chapter 1 . 9/2/2007
This is a bit different than your usual style, but it's still really good.

My favorite:

"Decaying, half-devoured suns litter her dreary throne:

their seeds, like tarnished rubies, spilled at her feet."

Finally, after three months, you're alive!