Reviews for FreeVerse Poetry
MethodlessMadness chapter 1 . 5/17/2014
Maybe some, but not all.
Honestly, I can't stand rhyming, structured poetry. I always get myself stuck into an awkward kind of rhythm that doesn't work, or have to make up a word to rhyme with orange or what have you, and then people get on your case with "that's not a word" or with "that's a one-and-a-half-syllable word" (like fire or child) and saying that it "disrupts the rhythm" and then you just want to strangle them with your favorite purple scarf because you tried your absolute hardest to attain unattainable perfection via rhyme and structure, and also because the scarf is of the perfect makeshift noose material and you wish to try it out on SOMEONE.
Like I said, some freeverse poems do apply to this. I used to do that a ton. But then I found the real kind of freeverse — the kind where metaphors flow like water, where sentences are fragmented and joined and blended so that you can't tell where one begins and one ends, where punctuation is for dramatic effect...glorious stuff. Glorious. Don't generalize if you've only read one kind.
And honestly for the life of me I can't think of one tragic, depressing, stunning poem (*cough e e cummings cough*) that's written in rhyme. Structure, yes, but not for heaven's sake rhyme.
Really. I can't read a sad rhyming poem without breaking out in laughter. Rhymes do that to me.
thestoryreader chapter 1 . 2/13/2013
I hate freeverse. They don't require much effort.
See, I
can break this
into little paragraphs
and call it a
poem of mine.
maria chapter 1 . 6/24/2008
very good descritpion - that's exactly what free verse always seems to be!
Needa S chapter 1 . 9/28/2007
Cool! I am always writing rhyming poetry. I have tried my hand at other ways but it just doesn't seem to work for me. Not saying I'm great at ryhming either. lol My poem (Comfort and Peace) the line- I arose on my own command. I meant I went to Christ freely no one made me go. Hope that helps on your comment you left on your review. Anyhow, thanks again for the kind reviews. Keep up the awesome work.
glimpses from an ivory tower chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
You seem to be of the same opinion as Robert Frost, who once said, "I would sooner play tennis with the net down than write free-verse."

His comment is forgiven, unlike your poem, because he actually wrote meaningful poetry using rhyme as a framework and did not rely on said rhyme to support otherwise weak imagery and depth.

Your generalizations about free-verse are far from comical. I can understand that some poets use a prose-like format for their free-verse poetry, some abandon all knowledge of punctuation, and some use entirely too much. However, not all free-verse poetry is like this.

Perhaps you believe that writing free-verse poetry is much easier because "no restrictions to it apply." Infusing poignant imagery and creating a work that touches every individual who reads it is incredibly challenging, to say the least. Writing without restrictions means that one has to rely on their own emotionally-charged perceptions and phrasing, instead of an elementary vocabulary coupled with a basic a-b-a-b rhyme scheme.

I invite you to try writing free-verse some time. You might find yourself surprised.

Engrish chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
While I like free verse poetry, this is an awesome way of portraying the "annoyances" of certain free verse poems.