Reviews for Burning Mint
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 2/22/2008
Second to last stanza really works well with the rhyme. The way this is constructed and progresses has an ease that the reader feels like they are experiencing it over a lengthy time period. I like that. It gives a broader scope for contemplation. Well done. MD:77.
Mrstress chapter 1 . 10/31/2007
I really like the beginning of this poem...

Keep Writing!
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 10/26/2007
I like repetition of the mint... although Ive never associated mint with New England... the descriptions are beautiful and I love the line "Like so much love, and not enough loving"
not sure yet chapter 1 . 10/15/2007
i love mint

i love the first three four stanzas

i also think you lost me here for parts of this, though it was enjoyable reading every part of it and i rather think i like being lost, such nice wording at parts it made me happy
Faileas chapter 1 . 9/12/2007
Again your work mesmerizes me! Such imagery! Such passion! You should definitely publish a book and when you do let me know where to buy it

Faileas
ArmandsArdour chapter 1 . 9/11/2007
there are no words to describe how beautiful this is. I can only say AMAZING!
Ashelin chapter 1 . 9/10/2007
I hate how I read your work and all the things that have fallen from my dead are nothing more than ordinary pebbles. So fruitless compared to this. You know, I can say that I adore this, that you are more an artist than anything else in this life, but what would that do? Would that make your words more or less in the eyes of you, of me? I don't really know. But I adored this. The meaning, the lack of it. Everything.
Julius Gillian chapter 1 . 9/10/2007
This is a very difficult poem for me to understand, possibly because the setting and situation is unknown to me. Oh well, I'll take a stab in the dark and if I miss the mark you'll understand why.

'and I have never been to New England,

but I can picture the autumn frost;

feel the fiery flush to my cheeks when

a make-believe father burns the dead leaves

in the street.'

This to me is like a continuation of a conversation where the reader is thrown into the middle. It's almost like I'm reading a history of something from someone's mouth. When you wrote 'make believe father' that pretty much struck me. I'm probably wrong, but this seems to do with the supernatural. Maybe the population is blaming the supernatural for misfortune just like in Shakespear's Julius Caesar?

'Where the burning mint

turns cinnamon,

and then sour.'

Cinnamon almost rhymes with sour, nice. Burning Mint! That's really interesting, but it's so blank to me. Like looking at Chinese characters in China or something.

'she says ‘give me more’ of this strange life.

This strange light that lingers like

sound, moving across the hollow winter

scaffoldings. While the sun sighs lazily

underneath the window glass.'

Have you ever seen the Phantom Tall Booth? Incase not, or don't remember, it's about this kid who wants to be outside when he's inside, and inside when he's out. He daydreams at school, and nothing in life seems interesting. This strikes me as a line that matches the personality of a dreamer. When the sun sighs, I picture someone's chest heaving out, and then back in with enormous effort. I liked your wording here.

That's all I've got. Like I said, this poem is a very complex piece of work. Beautifully written with all your tacts like word play that I like.

I was hoping to give you more of an analysis on this poem that I'm sure you would've wanted, but I simply can't. The words you use are obviously assembled for some meaning I can't fathom. I'll just have to wait for other reviewers. Then I can make a better theory

I have to ask though, what kind of books do you like to read? What authors are your personal favs? After reading this five times I get the impression, or feel, that your works are also a sum of the experience you've collected while reading. And I must get to the bottom of this at once! :)

Next time I hope to dive in depth with the poem you write, this is a horrible review I realize. I don't even understand the title; I thought this would be something funny. Unless you're using mints by some other definition. See right there? Daftness!

Keep writing Juliet, all the best luck in the world.

- Julian
Interluded chapter 1 . 9/9/2007
For some reason the images in this really got me. I'm not exactly sure if I understood the whole weight of this poem, but the way you phrase certain things and paint a picture is really nice :)