Reviews for Future's Edge
cinafran chapter 5 . 8/6/2009
Wow. Your ending was so much better than any of the happily ever afters of older, cheesey sci-fi. It was really powerful. I greatly enjoyed this, so thank you for putting it up.
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 5 . 7/12/2008
take that, Rick.

actually, he really should get some of her DNA. maybe they could find an appropriate surrogate species and use combinations of his and her DNA to make some new humans. maybe.

a slightly unsatisfying ending, but satisfactory. that's how dark stuff goes.

good job, sir or madam (though I'm thinking sir) and I herewith sign out, proclaiming that you have achieved your goal with flying colors.
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 4 . 7/12/2008
"Rick had to appreciate the complete lack of modesty in alien fashion." nice reference to star trek's go-go costumers there.

this world reminds me of Blade Runner.

looks like Karen's picked up on alien fashion, too.

well, obviously she's coming onto him because he's the only other human in existence. sheesh.

nonetheless, though, he really ought to be suspicious. no girl acts that way who's got good motives.

"he almost forgot to be careful of hidden spines or spikes" also quite amusing, and practical. after all, it might spoil the romance of a situation to accidentally impale oneself against one's girlfriend.

ha ha, safe sex. but if she's an alien, why should it matter? and speaking of different physiology, who's to say it would work? maybe they can reproduce little half-breeds using his saliva. you never know.

pouting? that feels fairly out of place.

what, he's forgotten the name of the only other earthling in existence? I find that hard to accept.

He forgot that he's at her place. He's telling her to leave her own house. Or maybe I just misread...

He never did know Pilikenna's species, did he?

Anyhow, I think the two would actually be quite happy if they settled down to make babies.

the pregnancy problem never seems to get addressed in Star Trek. and they have plenty of half-breed kids, too. but then, most of their aliens are pretty near human.

Doesn't he have a job?

The newspaper I like. It's so very... earthly. It's cute. (Probably maybe not what you want to hear, but it's true, and I don't count it a bad thing.)

well, he wouldn't necessarily be a dad, it being slightly more complicated than that. I'm also wondering how Karen can know her own physiology so exactly...

she's forgetting one small detail: how will their baby(s) reproduce? if they could find a compatible species they could keep the genes in play, but otherwise humanity will be perpetually inbred.

you know, he could always give her some sperm to have artificial insemination. but that sounds nasty, too, when you really think about it. oh well.

still, he should be more sympathetic. he'll regret this someday.
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 3 . 7/12/2008
My, this is much more serious now. Unfortunately it would be really gross for Rick and Karen to reestablish the species, because he's like twenty years older than her. But not impossible, of course.

Well, duh, the kid's in the bundle. What else would Pilikenna be carrying? Silly Rick. But his brains are addled from the news, I presume.

So he'll show up when Karen turns legal: "Hi, we're going to reestablish humanity! Whaddya think?"
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 2 . 7/12/2008
He's taking his 3 year old daughter into space? when war is imminent? while his wife's sleeping? that's not only dangerous, it's kidnapping! is he nuts?

I hope Rick plays some important part later on. Also, the captain is really making me mad, being so irresponsible with his little girl like that. In case you wondered.

So wasteful, throwing away his food. He'll be wanting it later.

this story kind of reminds me of the later Star Trek series, Next Gen and DS9 and Voyager, which are more serious than TOS and deal more with relationship woes. Especially DS9, which is both dark and soap-opera-y, which is kind of like this.

Rick is a red-shirt.

I'm sorry, but every time I see "Captain Morgan", I think, rum.

He doesn't have them turn off the transmission the instant he sees who it is? Jeez.

Lucky break for Rick.

Hey, now that's not fair. He answered the pilot's unsolicited question and didn't say anything. Again, what a jerk. I understand he's stressed, though, and his rudeness makes him look more human.

"You don't want to know" is even worse than explaining it! Aaugh!

Yeah, NOW he thinks of his kid...

And he's just gonna trust some random dude to watch her? who he's never met before, ever? and this EASES HIS MIND? I'm sorry, but Morgan is a pretty rotten parent.

I think that was too abrupt. If they were right in the path of the gun, then they were being pretty dumb; but if they weren't, they must have had time to fire a shot or two while the gun was being aimed. it would have greater effect if you drew it out just a little bit.

Dude, this is definitely getting gritty now! excellent. but, y'know, Kirk would totally have pwned the baddies in a second.

WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 1 . 7/9/2008
You've set yourself a difficult task, and at first I wasn't sure how you were going to do it, but I like how this has turned out so far. The original Star Trek totally didn't address the family thing, though Next Generation started to bring it in, which was nice. Isaac is being kind of a prick. If the admiral will let him take the kid and her teacher on board, why not the wife? why is she less admittable than the tutor? why on earth would the man let Isaac bring a child on a warship, especially if he won't let Isaac bring his wife? that is the only hole I find.