Reviews for The Myths of Writing
The Mumbling Sage chapter 1 . 9/21/2007
While a good essay, I think it's a bit too short. I'd expand by stating the first myth and disproving it in one paragraph, then the second myth and it's counterexample in the second, and so forth and so on. I'd be interesting in seeing more of this.
Sophocles08 chapter 1 . 9/20/2007
It may seem that good writers are born. :)

First two sentences are redundant.

" There are seven known myths [Of Writing]. For example..."

If there are seven known myths, then you don't need "For Example"'s. There are no more than seven. There are THE seven.

When I wrote my college application essay I wrote something similar to this.

My thesis was "High school students aren't prepared for college; they lack the basic writing skills required for college."

Now when I wrote that paper, I was mostly concerned with trying not to be hypocritical. If I was a highschool student writing and essay about highschool students not knowing how to write, then I don't want to seem like a high school student.

Hope this finds you well.
average.snarker chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
Writing is a subjective art, some of these myths may hold true for some writers. I have always had a talent for writing, same as the rest of my family.I almost always know what I am to write before it, all outlining goes on in my head. Occasionally I will change something once it has been written, but only after it has changed in my head. Good writing doesn't come from knowing ALL of the grammar rules, but it certainly helps. That's just me, not everyone writes the same way I do, but discounting these 'myths' is rather ridiculous. Only one of these 'myths' is utterly ridiculous, and that is that people get it correct the first time, that is the only myth you can truly argue about in this essay.

Cynically Yours,

T.F.O.
i like this chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
because everyone should believe this.