Reviews for The Cynic's Creed
unlikely.story chapter 1 . 7/21/2008
Beautiful.
frankie.george chapter 12 . 6/17/2008
Such a great story! I fell in love with the characters, the story, the poetry...

At times I felt that I could relate to her life and what she was feeling. You really did a great job! )

Your story inspired me to write more poetry.
I LOVE GRAPES chapter 12 . 6/15/2008
I think that this is the most amazing story I have read here.

Wow.

It made me feel so much. At times, I was frustrated with the heroine, but then I identified with her. I was swept up in her journey and now-sitting alone, late at night, in a new place surrounded by new people-I am uplifted, ready, content.

So thank you. I had a great time.

And I still don't know the heroine's real name! I can't remember if I ever learned it, whether I paid attention to it or not.

As for more "technical" things: I didn't find too many spelling or grammatical errors, so yay. And I love how the writing style captures your heroine very well. I think it really brought her character out for me. I really have no critiques. It's beautiful.
I LOVE GRAPES chapter 3 . 6/15/2008
haha this girl is great! "Psych!" Actually making me laugh out loud. Her attitude is a bit annoying, but that's who she is and that's the story. It's fun to read and I am getting to know her, so good job!
A Note From The Great Perhaps chapter 12 . 5/6/2008
I will admit that at first I really didn't like the story. I was going to close the window and find a new story to read. I clicked on the next button, instead. Then I swore that I really hated it, I stayed up till 2am finishing it. It was addicting, inspiring, absolutely ridiculous. I loved it. I can't explain why I didn't like it nor can I explain why I couldn't stop reading it. I can't explain why the hell you are brilliant, but you are. (In case you didn't know) So thanks. In my opinion some of the best books are the ones where you can't decide whether you love them or you hate them, those are the books truly worth reading, they make you think. Something we all seem to be sorely out of practice in.

The answers lie in the Great Perhaps.
my name is grace chapter 12 . 4/30/2008
This was so much more then a plotline.

Yes, it was about poetry. But it reached so much deeper then that. I'd be shocked if someone read this story and didn't learn something from this.

I learned something from Lorris, from the Wingnut, and the main character (who I am almost certain is nameless). Every little piece made me love it more. From Riana, Brooke and even Logan. They all taught me a lesson.

The poetry was remarkable.

I can't believe a human wrote this. It's so real and ourstanding. I can't believe this is only limited to the bountries of fictionpress, and not out there were the rest of the world can see it, experience it and most of all, learn from it.

You are an amazing person.

-Grace

(I'm winded, by the way.)
Queen of Absolutely Everything chapter 12 . 4/6/2008
...guh...

How do I even begin to describe...this...I don't even know.

It's just past midnight, and I've spen the last two hours completely unable to do anything but read this remarkable masterpiece of amazingness.

It's by far the best thing I've ever read on fictionpress, and it's probably right up there with my favorite books of all time.

There are so many people out there who try to capture the essence of adolescence or whatever. But they aren't you. They can't admit that being a teenager, hell, being a human, is a whole lot of trying and randomness and awkward pauses that don't really fit together. Like, in whatever small ways we try to ignore, we're all kind of poseurs who are trying to be something that they aren't quite. And it was a relief to actually see someone admit to it in black in white.

...And, gawd, but I could go on forever. Please, please, please get this published. I'll buy it, I promise. Just don't let some moron who's never read it put a meaningless teenybopper cover on it. That's all I ask.
Faded Soulfire chapter 12 . 3/30/2008
I was directed to this story by my friend, Fallen Oblivion, and I'm glad I had the chance to read this.

I can't begin to tell you in words how this story made me feel because I wouldn't know where to start. But I can tell that that main character is so real, so honest that I feel like a part of her is with me.

I think, above all, what I like best of The Cynic's Creed is it's multitude of messages. Despite the main character being a cynic, she never loses hope. Maybe she gets snagged along the way to finding what she's looking for, but she manages to get through the bumps in the road as smoothly as she can. And she finally gets to her destination, a place where she is content, and realizing all the little things that mattered...but she didn't notice them.

This story is a little bit of everything. It's solid. It's real. It's literacy genius. It's hope. It's fear. It's confusion. It's growing up. It's making a mark, somewhere, anywhere. It's poetic. It's deep. And above all, it's life changing.

I can say that your story has given me a whole new perspective on people, life, and even myself. I know that sounds silly and trite, but I believe this is the kind of story you read, and in some way, it impacts everyone who reads it.

I give two thumbs up about publishing this. Even your poetry is beautiful. I really think you have a strong, secure future in the literacy word. You've certainly got all tools.

So, before I get carried away, I just want to thank you for writing this. I appreciate all the time and effort you must've put into this - especially the rewrite. My words seem to fail me when it comes to this, so to show my appreciation, I'll add this story to my favorite stories list, and hope that gives you a glimmer of how truly, deeply I admire and adore this story.

A Very Thankful Reader and Writer,

Faded Soulfire
Fallen Oblivion chapter 12 . 3/30/2008
I would have reviewed each individual chapter but I couldn't stop myself from clicking the next page button.

Your story is one of the most beautiful pieces of literature that I've come across. I really do mean this. The poetry alone blew my mind-every word flowed together exquisitely into something so powerful that words cannot begin to describe. The progression of the story moved so naturally that I felt like I was watching a movie. I love your descriptions of the scenery; people; everything.

It also touched my soul. It's hard for me to explain but I'll do my best. I can identify myself with the main character (For the life of me, I can't remember her name.)-I've thought the things she's thought; felt the feelings that she went through. The people in the story are just like people that I've gone to High School with and some are even my friends. I love the realism.

As I finished the story, I couldn't stop myself from crying. I rarely cry from a story but this one evoked such a strong reaction. No, I did not find this to be a sad story. I just found it to be the type of story that a real human being can appreciate and relate.

I hope that you will write more. I love what you've written. In fact, I think my outlook on life has changed.

Thank you.
MackayFire chapter 12 . 3/29/2008
This is so great! You've written so beautifully what teenagers everywhere feel at one point or another. It's so true that everyone is a hypocrite somehow, judging others too quickly yet not wanting to be pidegoned holed ourselves. I saw so much of myself in her that is was both comforting and depressing. I over analyse my life just like she does! Thanks for the great work :)
fairy Eva chapter 12 . 3/26/2008
Oh. My. Gosh. I love this story so much. I was browsing through FictionPress at 11:46 pm looking for something that sounded interesting instead of cramming for two exams, and I found this. I was... scratch that... I AM so impressed with the honesty and sincerity of this, you really have no idea. It sounds so cliched saying this, but I definitely got the warm-fuzzies after reading your story. I feel like giving someone a hug to share my warm-fuzziness, but considering it's 1:23 in the am, I don't think it would be much appreciated. Looking back on it now, I don't even remember if you mentioned the main character's first name... did you?

Thanks so much for typing out this beauty of a story!
SilverFeline chapter 12 . 3/22/2008
Wow. First thing's first: I love this. I love the way you wrote it, I love all the characters, and I love the way you tied them all together.

I think this story is so good because everyone has a little bit of the main character and her cynical views on life in them. I also liked how you made minor characters seem so significant. Like Brandon, who was always across the room, yet managed to hear every word of the conversation. And the Wingnut, who we will never learn the truth about.

The poems were also great.

I wish that this story could have been longer. Will Dana and Logan ever get together? Was there ever anything behind Juliette's sickness other then just being sick? And so many other questions. But I guess a good story always leaves a few questions behind.
a tad less disillusioned chapter 12 . 3/10/2008
I liked reading this. I spent a few minutes thinking of something witty to write in appreciation for your work before that idea flopped. So unfortunately, I'll have to settle with a thank you for being one of the few who voices the thoughts we all have.
Rodarrin chapter 1 . 3/8/2008
I love your story. Your characters are so real in their confusion, thoughtfulness, joys, and sorrows. From stuffy, factual Winston to the seemingly stoic thriftstore lady, you've created interesting and almost tangible people who I got to meet.

Thank you.
Drallimer chapter 12 . 2/28/2008
My English teacher said once that a book (or a story) that makes you hate, love, or want to do something is one that is good. I love this story and it makes me want to write poetry (I've never been a poetry person, it was too personal, too vulnerable for me) but now I realize that opening yourself up is the best way to live your life. The beginning was a bit like, uh... this girl is so damn angsty! rawr. But now I'm glad that I stuck to it. It has some amazing poetry and makes me want to go to a small artsy high school where I can communicate with people through library books or the stall walls of a bathroom. Publish it. The public will love it.
144 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »