Reviews for One Bad Day
E. N. Dawson chapter 1 . 10/23/2009
You've captured the classroom atmosphere dead on. I remember high school students who acted just the same as the sixth graders.

I love the descriptions of the children - so observant. I think my favorite part was the body builder simile "Authority dripped off of her like sweat from a body builder." It's cleverly juxtaposed, a good choice for the experienced teacher.

If I had more time to read, I'd go on to some of your other stories, but I'll have to check that out later.
Seth Greenwood chapter 1 . 8/20/2008
Hey GB! I thought I'd check out your writing over here, as it's quite good on the forums.

Although I have never been the kind to pester substitutes halfway to death and back again, I've known such people and can definitely sympathize.

I liked the body builder simile; never heard that one before! ;P

Well written, I'd definitely have to say. Big bonus: don't see much non-fiction around here.
Ashelin Efflorescence chapter 1 . 5/23/2008
You've captured the essence of a classroom's reaction to substitute teachers perfectly. Sadly, this reminds me of my school all too much... Substitutes make kids seem to think they can get away with everything. Once we had some kids dancing up on the desks and making out behind a piano...

"Project authority and recieve authority; appear weak, and they walk all over you."

Amen!
Princess Scheherazade chapter 1 . 11/11/2007
Quite true. Okay, I'm only fifteen, and wouldn't have any experiance in substituting, and I'm one of those monsters...lol.

But I do think the way we treat the poor substitutes is very poor; I'm in grade nine and my class blew off a french substitute we had a few days. Really, and then we spent half the class complaining about her, and I got yelled at when I defended her :S

I agree, we need a sense of authority, espeacially in substitutes...I also commend you for writing this, one of the most effective methods a teacher can appeal to a student is coming out as a person. All my farvourate teachers went out of their way for us-taught us the way they wanted too, going above the curriculum-and took their time to get through us personally, my grade eight homeroom teacher involved us with his life-his cottage, his hockey obsession, and told us hilarious stories from his childhood, my history teacher never failed to get us informed on what he thought was important, and my gym teacher opened up to us when we misbehaved, letting us know how we affected her life negatively when we were bad (she got a large change of attitude)-and it helps. You've done it too, and will probably come to the aide of other substitutes by letting us see how hard it is through your perspective, as a person, not a random person teaching a class for about a day.

With that said, thank you for the insight, I really want to be a teacher when I grow up!

*Princess