Reviews for The Daughter of the Light Kings
Jaya Avendel chapter 1 . 3/1
I have read many stories about giants, and they have always been portrayed as disturbing the peace of the humans, or raiding farms. I admit to using them for this in my own story.

But to give the giants a culture and religion is a new idea I have read little about. From what you have presented here, it looks to be interesting. To give them ritualistic lives, and the fates of keepers of the World Tree is something new to look upon them as.

As for the 'elemri', I find that to be the most interesting aspect of all. Once Chinese girls were judged by the size of their feet. It would be interesting if the elemri served sort of the same purpose in their society but, given their way of life, it would be unlikely.
HuiLang chapter 4 . 8/21/2017
And we end the story with the ominous foreshadowing of war coming to the giants as Nohr and Sigurn’s husband, Roen battle. I kind of thought Nohr would actually make good on his threat and end Roen, so the tension was good for this chapter in not knowing which way the story was headed.

Overall, a decent short story adding more to the myth of the world you’ve painstakingly created. This place is just rich with lore.
HuiLang chapter 3 . 8/21/2017
Now we have a clearer picture of just how dastardly Nohr is by his lust for Sigurn (a common trait among your villains—lust for the girls). Nohr reveals himself as some kind of Adonis which makes him all the more dangerous (good-looking bad boys are never a good mix).

I like Sigurn’s powers in controlling some of the elements around her and outright humiliates Nohr.
HuiLang chapter 2 . 8/21/2017
Sigurn meets Nohr—which is the father of Nahr from the tales of Aurvandil? If so, that puts this story in a good frame and sets a lot of things in motion.

Sigurn comes across a nice maiden, kind with words and deeds, easily throws her trust into a talking stag.
HuiLang chapter 1 . 8/21/2017
I like appendices and glossaries used in fantasy settings. It helps the reader understand more the world, particularly when Third Person Narrative or Third Person Omniscient styles are used to convey the world around the reader. Robert Jordan made good use of this, but GRR Martin only used his character roster and that was it.

Oh, so it seems we have more lore of the world, but this time involving the giants. Of course, the women possess a sense of modesty in front of the males. Nice touch and they are bonded to the elements.
AlexdR chapter 3 . 10/7/2007
all right, good second chapter, though its pretty short. Your grasp of Norse myth is amazing. Even though this is clearly a seperate story, I can see it just being another part of the Germanic/Norse mythos. I think I would like another "scene", in which we can read about Sigurn and her betrothed. You seem to be breaking the ancient "show us, don't tell us" rule a bit too much in the chapter having events fly by without any real description. oh yeah, the appendix is helpful too!

Alex
AlexdR chapter 1 . 10/5/2007
you have done it again sir. I'm intrigued by this story. What is an elemri? an elemental? I am reminded of Actaeon and Artemis, is there a conection? the only thing I found wrong was the stag saying he was a "freak". I would suggest a different word.