Reviews for Epistle to the Victorians
jessa-beth chapter 1 . 5/11/2008
Oh, chillingly beautiful imagery. It's so marvelously accusatory. I love it. I love so many lines I don't know that I can name them all, but I particularly enjoyed the third stanza, "Masked by fluttering scraps of lace, demure smiles and empty eyes/ demand that you ravage them-the taintless lips that throb with/ unspoken words-and hollow their dainty shells until they echo subservience." Really striking. I applaud you!
Nemonus chapter 1 . 11/18/2007
Good. Without the summary I wouldn't think that this was a description of Victorian women, i don't think (not sure, actually, but I have to experience things in a certain order), but within that context tis very nice and descriptive, very creepy. I did not like "marring prose with the despair of the strangled just learning to breathe:"; what prose? And...I know there's artistic liscence, but without context, how can "the strangled" breathe...I think it didn't connect as much as you'd like it too. The last line, obviously, breaks the rhythm, but it adds a theme...I deem it optional. Very nice job, though, creating an atmosphere, using puncuation, and using unique adjectives.
painting andromeda chapter 1 . 11/14/2007
The only thing I can say after reading this is I am in love with your work.
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 11/3/2007
Good poem. Good luck with poetry and life. Have an excellent day.

Twilight Starr
the lost yarn spinner chapter 1 . 10/10/2007
You're alive!

I think that this is one of my favorites. The imagery is beautifully vivid, as always. It's so hard to choose a favorite passage...

"You drowned their ambitions in white chiffon,

a silken cocoon that smothers as it shelters, and tethered

their restless limbs until they could no longer run."

and

"You doused their fiery voices with dark, sweet tea,

a societal elixir that suffocates as it subdues, and caged

their fledgling minds until they could no longer fly—or yearn to."

But I think that my favorite is:

"Meanwhile, the burnt nectar of absinthian suns cascades from their fingers"

By the way, was this a product of history class?