Reviews for Quirky
Charmingly Temporary chapter 2 . 8/10/2008
I want MORE! Ha ha I enjoyed this so far, and I can't wait to read the rest. I feel bad for poor hypothetical Nina. ;)
Twilight Starr chapter 2 . 7/10/2008
This made me laugh. I like the conversation with her sister. The meaning of names is interesting. Nice work. Keep writing!

Twilight Starr
Twilight Starr chapter 1 . 7/10/2008
Interesting piece. I like the narration. The title drew me in and the summary was well written. Nice work.

Twilight Starr
The Sun and Shadow chapter 2 . 2/24/2008
Well, Nina certainly is quirky, although I think I would be a little 'off' if I had a younger sister who talked the way Saturday did. -giggle-

This chapter was just as amazing as the prologue, and even though the plot hadn't become clear yet, I still find myself drawn in, awaiting the next update.

You are a very talented writer, and I absolutely adore your wild sense of humor.
The Sun and Shadow chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
First of all, I love the opening line- "If forced to describe my life in one word, I would probably use quirky." (It's quite catchy, and sucked me right in due to curiosity.

I found myself laughing through out the chapter. The narrator is so hilarious and I already find myself loving her personality. I find that far too many stories on this site are serious; it's nice to read something on the lighter side. Your sense of humor is fantastic!

"And what is Y? Why it can be either one! Y. Why. No pun intended." (God, that was brilliant! Laughed pretty hard.)

Another thing I enjoyed was how the first several paragraphs were nothing but the narrator asking herself questions.

No typing/grammar errors stood out at all. This is a well-edited, well-thought out prologue. In all honesty, if I was rummaging through a shelf at the bookstore, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find this as a novella there.
Dexterity chapter 2 . 2/11/2008
Review Game!

Dialogue: Loved it; especially the way you wrote Sat's. It was hilarious, and really real.

Writing: Very natural and flowing. It suits the story's mood well. I don't think asking for more descriptions would help the story's development, so I think all you need to do is keep it up!

Characters: I think Sat is just as quirky as Nina. You did well in describing her character through her actions. Yes, calling someone a constipated rat is quite quirky...

Plot: Very funny. I really enjoyed what I've seen so far. Problem is, I don't really know where this is going. While the humor is great and everything, there doesn't seem to be anything spectacular happening. I think it would be good if this were a short story with the theme of "quirkiness", but if you are planning to lengthen the story, perhaps some sort of "action" would be needed.

That's all for now. Keep it up!
theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
Lol, I meant to write another review for hte second chapter, but this stupid things says I can't, so WHATEVER! Lol. Oh, I found out why the computer says that's wrong. According to it, fault is a singular word, and therefore, it should be used with "my entire" rather than "all my". The example it used was house- "my entire house" is right, not "all my house". I can see it's point...and I'm glad English is my first language.

I really liked the first chapter, by the way. Once you brought in plot, it detracted from the story somehow...although this time, it's five in the morning when I'm writing this, so I'm not really sure what's going on. Oh, great, this is the last review I can write for your story until you update...gotta say SOMETHING... The first chapter makes her mind seem as though it works in a way that makes her seem mature, even if she is odd...but the second chapter makes her sound her real age. As though putting so much thought into "Quirky" led to her sounding older than she is. Ah, well, that sucked. I guess I'll have to email you.
Dexterity chapter 1 . 1/28/2008
Nice concept! Obviously, the plot isn't there yet, but it was a nice introduction. Instead of saying the character is quirky in whatever whatever way, you managed to show us the protagonist's personality by making use of the first person narration. Good job on that! I really liked it.

I don't think I have any complaints about this. Perhaps a shorter rambling would be good. An introduction doesn't have to be one word long, but three hundred and seventy six words (I'll trust you on that one) to say one point isn't really necessary. I didn't really mind since it was just the first chapter, but if all the chapters are going to be like that, the pace might be a little too slow.

That's pretty much all I can say about your story. Nice start! I'll read more later. Good luck!
theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair chapter 2 . 1/25/2008
About the "my entire fault" thing- My computer does the same thing, pretty much. I right all the better and it tells me to say the entire better. I don't know what alternate universe of grammer rules our computers are functioning in, but it's a place that I never want to be.

You said you wanted to be a professional author? Well, I think you have a pretty good chance! This story is original and witty, but it's also definitely the kind of story that tons of people would like to read. A couple minor editing things, no big deal...I would say more about them, but it's one in the morning, and I just took two of my final high school exams, so I think I'll have to come back to your story when I'm more lucid. Please, keep writing.
jeezersbajeezers chapter 2 . 1/25/2008
It's a great start to an interesting story.

Dialog: The dialog was great. It's very believable, and you actually think Nina is a real person, and that Sat is her annoying sister. They might even live down the street!

Characters: They seem very full from who are introduced so far. Nina is a great protagonist, and very... well, Quirky! Sat is very typical annoying sister, and maybe that's what you were going for. But I love Sat and I love your name choices.

Writing: It's a little strange, but I think it fits Nina perfectly. She makes little white lies to make things sound more impressive. It surprised/confused me at first, but then I realized: This is Nina, and this is her mind.

Enjoyment: It was fun reading Nina's thoughts. She has a very interesting personality.

And that was for the Review Game! Awesome story you have here!
DaChickenAmI chapter 2 . 1/10/2008
Who names their kid Saturday? The same people who name their kid Bonquisha Fenisha...I love the choice of names, and, once again, the way your character thinks and speaks. The synonym I found for quirky was far-out, and I definitely agree that this term describes Nina perfectly. Also, for you 'all my fault' thing, I think your computer is guessing that you're speaking incorrectly and is trying to make a suggestion for you, although, I know from experience that the computer's suggestions are often lame...

Anywho, another useless review, but what else am I going to do on break?
DaChickenAmI chapter 1 . 1/10/2008
I love it when people write stories the way they actually talk; especially if they're interesting/random people, which you seem to be. I'm interested to see where this goes, even if it goes absolutely nowhere! :D Random stories can be interesting without being redundant or pointless if you write them the right way, and there seems to be a point to your pointlessness (if that makes ANY amount of sense). I also love how after talking about NOT rambling, the rambling begins...it's exactly what we people who actually ramble do!

Anyways, this probably was not helpful at all, but I felt a need to post a review and let you know what I think...because my opinion SO totally matters (not)
Tetelestai chapter 2 . 1/3/2008
I think you have a really good start to this!

In the beginning I was like "hmm what's this about?" But then I realized everything that's been said and done so far is 'quirky', which fits perfectly with the title and Nina herself.

My favourite part of your story so far has been the hypothetical Nina. I can imagine her pain of trying to be quirky when really, she just doesn't have the gift of quirkiness. )

I thought the dialog flowed really well, and there weren't any spelling/grammar mistakes that I caught, so good job on that.

As for first impressions, I got a good look into the character of Nina, and am already quite attached to her and her ramblings. It was funny how she was trying to scratch through the ink of the definition of her name so that she could replace its meaning.

I had to concentrate more on what was being written in the first chapter about how quirky can have 5 letters, and really pay attention, so some people that just want to skim through stories might skip through a paragraph or two. However, I don't know how you could change it so it's less 'brainy'.

Anyways.. this was an enjoyable read. yay!
Imalefty chapter 2 . 12/27/2007
hahahaha. this is so good! no grammatical/spelling errors that i caught (maybe because i was laughing too hard). and it's definitely "all my fault" not "my entire fault"... but my computer does that too. actually, that little point interested me... so i asked the computer why and the little paperclip told me... that it has something to do with plural nouns vs singular nouns. ask your little paperclip (or einstein or whatever) if you want more details. XD (i guess the problem with this whole thing is that the computer is wrong...)

i definitely like the whole thing about her family's names and her commentary. and then you brought the whole thing back to "quirky" - so good!

i like your hypothetical nina. so cute! so sad! so... uh... pathetic?

okay, so your main character is really... "quirky." you're doing a great job writing her that way! and even though there's no plot... (as of right now) i think that this is a nice story. it's like a bunch of vignettes sort of...

i also liked how you typed out the way sat speaks. it's a nice little touch.

basically, you've crafted a really nice, light read... it's really entertaining and i don't know why. :)

ooh, i just realized i can use this on the review game. XD ok, so this has now become a review game review... in case you care.

great job so far! :D

-Lefty
Sercus Kaynine chapter 2 . 12/19/2007
I might have said this before, but I like the way Nina talks. She just keeps on talking and talking in this funny way... It's fun to read stories from a Quirky persons point of view. It's just enjoyable somehow...

Nina's plan is pretty smart (lol). Nobody'll notice that it's just glued to the actual page...

You know, with all this name meaning stuff going on, I decided to look up the meaning of my name. So I "Googled "names meanings" and wound up on a cool translating website. Apparently my name means "Tower" or "from the Tower". What a bizarre meaning, and I've got a pretty common name, too. It also says I'm expansive, a visionary, adventurous, I make constructive use of freedom, I'm responsible, caring, and artistic. I also seem to dream of political success and want to become an entrepreneur. I think it fits. :)

Anyway, nice chapter. Update soon.

P.S. Nina's right. You do need the squiggly over the N!

Oh, and that led me to a birthdate meaning site.