Reviews for Say Good Bye to Disney Channel?
Guest chapter 1 . 6/9/2013
Children of the light have more faith than children of the Son. It's hopeless to try and teach people what destroys them. Thank God that you know and live. Those who are blind will never see. It will only get worse. Without pain, there is no gain. People have to hurt for people to be wealthy. So that means pain will be inflicted intentionally. WWInfinity
Kino Lala chapter 1 . 3/3/2011
Wow. I always hated Disney Channel since all these shows came on, and I couldn't find a proper explanation for it.

Until I read this.

You've opened my mind to what Disney Channel is truly like now, how it negatively portrays both adults and girls, how it tries to make new generations of kids "normal," and how it is screwing them up...

Thank you for letting me see all that in a better way. Thank you.
Serendipitist Swan chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
I grew up on PBS. I still don't have cable. I went over to my friend's house one day and watched Hannah Montana all the while thinking WTF?

I honestly believe that shows these days, Disney Channel in particular as I think Nikelodeon is okay, are making kids petty and dumb. I get pointed out because I read and watched Arthur up until fifth grade. It's really sad when an overachiever is just a well rounded kid.

But I have another point to make. I had some issues growing up like that. I did not make friends, period. I couldn't relate to people, was overemotional, and cried all the time. If you put kids nurtured on Disney Channel on one end of the spectrum I was on the complete opposite one. Kids should be somewhere in the middle.

-Swan
CountdownTillDawn chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
Okay...wow...I really have no idea where to start. So I guess I'll take it from the top. First off, the reason that most of the kids are a bit...stereotyped is so that they're relatable. All in all it could be a lot worse (cough*degrassi*coughcough). And honestly, if you don't call being able to see into the future (That's So Raven), being a Wizard (Wizards of Waverly Place), or having a double life (Hannah Montana) then what in God's good name DO you call specific attributes. Even normal kids like Zack have a strong sense of adventure and courage, or like Zack, have a high level of learning. I dare say you don’t exactly meet kids like Rico every day.

And to counter your argument that the characters don’t strive for something out of their reach all you have to do is look at Cody. He sees a beautiful girl (Bailey) that’s out of his league and what does he do? He doesn’t sit around going “Oh well, I could never get her”. NO! He goes after her and eventually gets the girl because he dared to try and to keep trying. Or look a Justine. When his girlfriend gets kidnapped he doesn’t sit around crying saying “Oh well, she’s gone. I best give up”. NO! He trains, gets strong, and pursues and rescues her. How’s that for not striving?

And about the whole comfort zone thing: as a Christian I loath comfort zones….but don’t you think you’re reading into it a little too much. Maybe they’re just making characters similar because they see that that’s what worked before and what kids related to.

Second, I do agree that Disney channel does make adults a bit foolish (it’s something my parents commented on while watch the Suite Life) but if you hadn’t noticed more often then not it’s these “foolish adults” who end up saving the day with their wisdom. To see this you need look no further than Wizards of Waverly Place. In the end, it is always the father and his knowledge and wisdom that save the day. And for the record, in the Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Erwin made that show!

As for your women argument I don’t agree at all. I don’t think they use London (the rich girl) to make females look bad, instead they use London to show (in a more dramatic and humorous way) what can happen when you rely too much on money and other people’s success instead of your friends and yourself. In the same way it shows Maddie, whose grew up with a hard life, yet instead of turning to things such as alcohol for her problems she strives forwards and perseveres with her knowledge.

To rap things up let me say this: YOU ARE READING TOO MUCH INTO THIS! We don’t turn on Disney Channel saying “What can I learn today?” We turn on Disney Channel for entertainment when it’s too hot to play outside. There doesn’t have to be a lesson in EVERYTHING. And if they teach anything they teach the importance of family, choosing your friends based on character and not popularity, and other such moral lessons. For God’s sake, you don’t see Nickelodeon starting Friends for Change.

You making this argument is like saying that Shakespeare should be arrested because A Mid-Summer’s Night Dream promotes mischief. And for God’s sake, we don’t listen to music, watch a TV show, or even read a book so we can relearn what we were taught in school that day. We do all that stuff for entertainment and relaxation. You need to stop reading into everything and calling everything that doesn’t teach you your ABC’s evil and counterproductive and just let us kids have our fun!

PS: I’m a die-hard Heavy Rock fanatic who’s still in all GT classes. How’s that for education ;P

PSS: Reliant K is still an awesome band! Go Mood Rings!
huimei chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
hi !

lijuan chapter 1 . 5/30/2010

welcome to our website is :
Deceited-Desire chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
i like this :)
CosmicalMadison chapter 1 . 1/7/2009
Although this is a good essay and overall well-supported, I have a few things to say.

Firstly, it isn't a crime that the shows are protraying "normal teenage life." This is done so that kids can identify with the characters and situations; it's *supposed* to be things they're familiar with.

Also, I think you could use some more support in the paragraph about disrespecting women. With only the one example, it seems to me like maybe this girl is the only stupid one and not all women. If you add more examples, it will portray your point better.

That's all I can really say, since I don't actually watch the Disney channel. I find their shows boring and annoying. :P Anyway, good job overall. Keep up the good work.
Nicki BluIs chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
This review is brought to you by the Review Game's Review Marathon! (link in my profile)

LOL! I loved the satire in this piece. I especially liked that when you spoke of the evils of modern media you chose Disney Channel to be the anathema, instead of more obvious culprits like MTV, violent video games, etcetera.

My favorite part was when you attacked the normalcy of the Disney channel stars. How dare they promote normalcy to today's youth! XD I think overall you did well in portraying some of the ludicrous attacks zealots use against inocuous pop culture specifically by ignoring their more logic arguments.

Actullay my favorite part was the first amendment part. Freedom of speech is for loser who don't want to protect the little children! :D

Nicki :P
Pretoria chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
Wonderful essay.
WarlordJEREK chapter 1 . 11/16/2007
Dude, I feel for what you're saying. I've seen some Disney Channel shows before and I've even repeatedley thought that the way they make adults act is ridiculous and unrealistic, as are many of the situations potrayed on the different episodes of each show on the network.

As for the issues of conformity that you brought up, I've never really thought of that before and now that I've read this I get what you're saying. In fact it's almost as if a form of subliminal messaging is going on.

I also agree with your thoughts on people's comfort zones. People, while sometimes staying in their comfort zones, should also go outside of them and even WANT to go outside of them from time to time. What keeps people in their comfort zones is that they are afraid of the unknown and that they've always been. In that way we as human beings never progress any further when we should ALWAYS try to progress further. Were satisfied with what we have when we should push the limits all the time. And now we're just filtering this through our own television.

Well, just wanted to say that I liked your essay and that it's a good point you brought up.

Peac out.
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 11/6/2007
Greetings again! :) I decided that I'd better finally get around to reading some of YOUR stuff, since you've read so much of mine! (I'll get back to your emails later.)

As to this article...

First off, your grammar and spelling are excellent, for which I thank you very much. Also, I agree with your overall point, that shows like those customarily shown on the Disney Channel are either inappropriate or insufficient for kids. You do a good job presenting your points about that.

There's one place I'd like to see you augment your argument, though. Your second-to-the-last paragraph discusses other things kids could do for better entertainment. That's good, but I don't think it goes far enough. After all, television is a fine method for mass communication, be the purpose teaching or merely entertainment. Kids grow up watching their parents and friends watch TV, either movies or sitcoms or reality shows, or even just the nightly news. TV is a part of modern culture, and as such, "abolishing" all TV for kids isn't a solution that's going to work well. The trick is to show kids things that are appropriate for their age (and hopefully teach them something about the world in the process).

So, if Disney is showing inappropriate shows, what sort of shows WOULD be appropriate? I don't think it's likely that you'll be able to convince Disney to shut down its TV station. But you MIGHT be able to convince them to alter at least some of their programming to show things more appropriate? What would you have them show? Remember, the shows need to be enjoyable to the kids watching them, yet acceptable to their parents. What shows should they be? If you can add some practical suggestions to this essay, I think you'll have made a stronger point.

Nice work! Got to run now. Be back later!

Ruatha
Lightning Streak chapter 1 . 10/29/2007
I completely agree.

I think your essay sums up our future perfectly, and while I find that incredibly disconcerting, it's something I cannot ignore.

However, I don't think that Disney Channel is the only reason why we've got such problems. Things like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park have taken a serious sledge hammer to the average mind. And it doesn't even stop there!

But, 'tis another subject for another day.

Anyways, good job on your essay! It was fantastic.
Tiefling chapter 1 . 10/27/2007
This is well written, but the ideas are strange, and I have to wonder whether you're serious.

" Disney Channel is an excellent example of an insalubrious channel that is raising insipid, inane children. "

If a tv channel is left to raise children, it's not the channel that's the problem.

"Disney Channel distorts a child’s view on their elders. In past generations, respecting elders was a priority or could have even been considered a way of life."

May I draw your attention to this quote:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

- Attributed to Socrates

Nothing much has changed on that front in thousands of years.

"What happened to the art of reading?"

I wouldn't call it an 'art', and children still do it. In fact, children's literature has had a real resurgance in recent years, mainly due to the Harry Potter books. Also, I think it's a mistake to assume that reading a book is necessarily a more valid passtime than watching a tv show. It depends on the book and the tv show. For example, I'm certain I learned more by watching "The Worst Jobs in History" than from reading The Da Vinci Code.

Maybe everything on the Disney channel really is rubbish (I wouldn't know, since I don't have pay tv), but no one is forcing anyone to watch the Disney channel. If you don't like it, don't watch it, but don't deny it to others just because you dissaprove of it.

"Mediocrity, disrespect of authority and conformity are not things that our world need. "

Can you really not see the irony in simultaneously condemning conformity and disrespect of authority? Like Mr Snaffleburger says "CONFORM, CONSUME, OBEY!".
Itzcoatl chapter 1 . 10/27/2007