Reviews for Yes Indeed, We Are American Idiots
theshadow603 chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
One of the most astutely written things I have ever read, sadly.
Pretoria chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
Very true. Great point presented in a simple, clean way.

Nice :]
TheKarlyFries chapter 1 . 12/27/2007
wow, you've got a point. i like it.
half-sketched.staccatos chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
konban wa

[a] I had no idea people cared about Dumbledore's sexuality, LoL. So I feel better that my life isn't centered around such "breaking news!"s as that. Odd...

[b] I am proud to say that, while I may not know SO much of what's going on in the world around me (I'm a spoiled, opinionated-with-no-facts teenager), I do CARE. Thank God about that. I don't understand those who don't.

I recently slumped into a horrible depression (I say horrible because I've never felt anything as hopeless and depressing as it was for weeks on end, which is how it felt. But if you compared it with actual "Depression" with a capital D, it probably wouldn't be much). I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I felt like this. So I went to talk to the guidance counselor to see if I could somehow just talk and talk, and the problem would eventually come out.

It did: I was depressed 'cuz of all the children who die of starvation and all the abused cases in the world, the people who are killed in Iraq, the fact that people that are treated like crap because they speak differently, they look different, they have different customs. And when I realized what the problem was, I prayed my heart out for God to take away the feeling - 'cuz if it was some sort of test, I was failing miserably. (Sorry if religion bothers you or anything, but I believe in God - lots of people on this site don't.)

Anyway, that was enough of a tangent for one lifetime. *grin* Sorry for such a meaningless review here, LoL. Gute nacht.

Zaijen

-Shan-
damsel in desperation chapter 1 . 11/12/2007
This makes me feel guilty.

I feel like I am so self-centered that I see nothing else.

But you're right, we need to see past ourselves.
The Drama Llama chapter 1 . 10/28/2007
Thank you for writing this essay. You make a very good point, even though I am Canadian.
Creative Colors chapter 1 . 10/27/2007
Thank you SO much for writing this. I agree with you 100%. Especially the whole Albus Dumbledore stuff. There's so much stuff going on in the world, that no one really wants to talk about it. So they keep coming up with these stupid news stories, to keep us all distracted.

While I was growing up, I've seen a lot of stuff that most people don't. I know this sounds weird but I worry about things most people my age don't. Like health care and stuff like that. I try to teach and help people the best way I can. Maybe it's not a huge impact but I hope I can do more in the future.

Love the essay, really hit on a lot of important issues. We're so screwed up with the media news stories.
flies.like.decay chapter 1 . 10/25/2007
Why Africa? There are people starving in America too. They throw away millions of foods a day and there are people starving in America. Anyhow. If I don't shutup and stick to the main point of the essay, I'll go on a rant.

It's too true. I read that and I was like why the fuck does the world care about the man's sexuality? We're surrounded by gay people who are bashed and killed and occasionally acceped, but we care about a stupid fictional character.

There were more important things going on that week, but yet the media is selling us STUPID FACTS ABOUT A HARRY POTTER CHARACTER. Ops. Sorry. You did a good job on this.
MrFlames chapter 1 . 10/24/2007
Nice job, getting the starving Africans in there. It would've felt incomplete without them.
smile for the sunshine chapter 1 . 10/24/2007
Amen. I totally agree with everything that you said. I was talking about this at school. Why when people are dying in genoicides in Rwanda and there are struggles for freedom in Myanmar are the top stories in the news Hannah Montana tickets selling for $30? I just don't understand it. And it's like nobody cares about what's happening in another country. It's not like it's happening to us, right? Ha, that's what we think.

Anyways, I totally agree with you. Actually, I think you can put it into a more personal level too. Think about it, in schools kids go through things. But not for one second does it occur to anyone that someone might be going through something that they are going through. And everyone passes the kid in the hallway that's crying because it's not like it's their problem. Not until the kid brings a gun to school and kills their best friend that made fun of them.

"It's not going to happen to me." Pride is our country's biggest downfall.
vaudeville summers chapter 1 . 10/24/2007
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. It's a ridiculous concept, the media. I don't believe I could ever be a news reporter...their ability to switch between good news and horrendous news in the same monotone of a voice astounds me! I understand the anger here, as I feel the same way. Last night I was watching the news and the reporter was laughing about the previous story as they started talking about the California wildfires. We have our priorities seriously lopsided.

Excellent capture of indignancy...liked it very much.

~Deanna