Reviews for Insert Catchy Title Here
swymuh chapter 1 . 4/18
Hey, I really love this! What you said were true. It gets pretty boring when there's a lot of error in the story. And I myself don't appreciate blabbers about the appearance whatsoever of the characters. Haha.

I'm a writer (trying hard, actually) so this will help me on my writing in the near future. Thanks. :)

By the way, I salute you for luring me here (putting this under Fiction and all that, haha).

(I'm not sure if you will spot my review but well,) Bye and good day!
DragonOwl chapter 1 . 3/15
This is so true, and extremely helpful to read. If only more people would read it! All of your points highlighted are things I have read many a time so I hope this gets noticed more. Thank you for the tips!
Banananananana chapter 1 . 2/26
You didn't waste my time at all. :)
lovehimtoruins chapter 1 . 1/30
Ahahahaha, this was brilliant. I used to visit this site religiously back in high school, but I'm only starting to get back into it again and I'm noticing a lot more things now that I did before. Nobody's perfect and there's always room for improvement, but the things you stated are just some of my biggest pet peeves when trying to find stories on here. Thanks for the laugh, you're hilariously blunt and it's awesome 3
Carolina Martinez chapter 1 . 1/11
AHAHAHA, damn, my favorite written-by-myself story starts with a waking up moment. I feel stupid now. :P

Anyway, I really agree with you about the grammar thing... I'm surprised you didn't mention the new-line-for-each-new-speaker rule.
GrammarNazi chapter 1 . 12/29/2013
Well said, all of it. I do, however, disagree with you when you say that boys can't fall in love with girls in third grade. You're right when you say that said boy could not have known he was in love with a girl at that age, but he could realize, years later, that he must have been in love with her since then. It could start out as a simple crush (in third grade) and then turn into something more.

Thanks for writing this rant!
PrincessoftheDemons chapter 1 . 12/27/2013
THANK YOU. I now know I am not the only person out there who wonders these things.
Princess Wanderer chapter 1 . 9/27/2013
I personally am terrible at grammar and spelling but I hardly ever (unless it's a typo really) mess up the things that you pointed out. However, I'd love to play devil's advocate on a few things.

Counter Exhibit B:
"Cuz" can be an appropriate replacement for "cousin" in dialogue or in the main character's personal thoughts

Counter Exhibit C:
The cloudiness of coming to consciousness overtook me. The dreams dripped away, and the moment I was aware of my predicament my mind froze with fear.
I was waking up. One does not wake up unless she was asleep. I look over to the other person in the room relieved to find him sleeping as well. With luck, he was never awake while I wasn't. I berated myself for doing something so careless as to fall asleep in the presence of another. I hadn't made that mistake in years and for good reason. My sleep is thick. You'd think that after years of being on the run, constantly at risk that I'd become so light a sleeper that the slightest of sounds. It was truly an enigma. Even scarier is the fact I talk in my sleep. Once this was a childhood embarrassment, now it could but my life in danger.
So the fact that I had been asleep was terrifying. The fact that I fell asleep in front of a recently kidnapped (by me) prince was, well, mind numbing

An (hopefully) interesting beginning with a "waking up scene"

Counter Exhibit D:
I am not going to write a piece for this but boys Can (I capitalize this because I can't put it in italics) fall in-love when they are but wee ickle ones. Sometimes they treat the girl the "like-like" like crap for years until they realizes that the annoying feelings they have for the respective love-interest is Not loathing. Other times the girl is the boy's childhood best friend that he has always loved and when he hits puberty the needed lust factor kicks in and he is in-love with her. This happens. It's rare maybe but that's probably why the reader was interested in the first place.

Counter Exhibit E:
1. Jack was one of those guys that thought he was "the shiz" because he wore advertisements for shirts. There wasn't a thing in his closet that didn't say "American Eagle" , or the like, across it. He really ought to be payed for all his work as a walking billboard.
2. Louisa and Thomas were fighting again. The same fight they had every day. Which was the better shoe 'Converse' or 'Vans' ? Someday I am going to join in and claim "Toms" to be supreme just to see the looks of their faces.

Appropriate use of brand names. I hate them in stories too, but here they just make the stories sound more dated.

Counter Exhibit F:
I saw something attacking me out of the corner of my eye and ducked the ambush. Donovan looked at me like I was crazy as my attacker fell in front of my eyes. A fat blond curl had made me fear for my life. Again.
Alisha told me my eyes were nice. I can't fathom why she'd think that. My irises faded from their once brilliant blue long ago. What was so great about the lifeless gray they were now?

Sometimes introducing physical appearance early in a piece is NOT corny at all. Unless you think I am a horrid writer and I of my counterpoints were a waste of time, I think I have made my opinion clear. ;)
Jo Suzuki chapter 1 . 9/21/2013
I completely get where you're coming from. Every single exhibit mentioned here rang true to me! An 'Author's Note' in the middle of a chapter is one of the most annoying things ever! And call me a grammar nazi but I've stopped reading way too many stories midway that I thought had the potential to turn out good, purely because the grammatical errors were too blaring to ignore. Forget fancy words and adjectives, there are extremely basic grammatical errors like the ones you mentioned in too many of the stories around here - 'your' for 'you're' and lack of capitalization where necessary. And that is a pity because I really do think that some of them have a brilliant plot!
1113brooke chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
I'm super happy you posted this little bit of informative material. :) it makes me super happy to see that I'm not the only one on the internet that enjoys correct grammar and punctuation and appreciates the difference thrushes in a story. Personally, I'm incredibly nit-picky about what I read and follow on Fictionpress, livejournal, and most other fic and fan-fic websites, so I'm always overjoyed to find a story That's really worth my time.
Titanium Wolf chapter 1 . 7/11/2013
Thank you for this guide. The appearance one is the one I usually over do and reading has made me realize that it has to stop so thank you!
hermy-muggle chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
It was extremely odd for me to read this. For one, all the points you made were EXACTLY the ones I use when I rant about poorly written stories. No, you did not waste ten minutes of my time, instead you gave me a rather well-spent ten minute break from studying for finals. So, thank you! I have one more point to give you. Don't you find it incredibly cliche when the main character of a story (typically a female in a romance story) has an extremely tragic back story? Abandoned by their parents, or one of their parents, lost a family member, or even many, are poor and take on many jobs just to survive...it's always the same! Can't people fall in love without having some sort of tragedy in their life? I think, yes.
ChuGaEun chapter 1 . 5/22/2013
I appreciate this. like a lot.
thanks for sharing "guides" in writing a good story and in becoming a good author :)
MysteriousLives chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
You go!
cvvphantom217 chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
Thank you for writing this! I believe it will make mine as well as many other stories better written! :)
263 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »