Reviews for Insert Catchy Title Here
Spiked Angel chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
I AGREE SO SO MUCH! There was a story with an amazing plot, but with atrocious grammar. I couldn't get through the first five chapters, which was a shame because it was a great story. I hate it when things are overly mushy or when the characters haven't interacted enough to fall in love. I like the couple to have had trials and for their personalities to compliment each other. You can't just insert a Mary Sue or an insecure but beautiful girl and a hot, popular boy and expect them to fall in love in the blink of an eye. They need to have a connection and they need to be right for each other, not just in the right place at the right time. There are so many characters out there with absolutely no faults or imperfections. It's très annoying.

When you write a story, you should be passionnate about books and the language you're writing in. Therefore, grammar is a must. It's disrespectful to you, the reader and the language. It lends you no credibility. I can't tell you how much it annoys me when someone uses the same adjectives over and over and over again (see Stephenie Meyer; cold, marble, and stone can only be used so many times-describing a statue...).

It bugs me to no end when the beginnings are unoriginal. The first paragraph should be interesting and tell you something about the narrator. EVERYONE gets up in the morning... The looks and the clothes should not be a focal point of the story either. It's good to know what the character looks like, but not all in one go, not their exact weight, not with so much emphasis (as if it were the only thing that mattered). Don't even get me started on the descriptions of clothing. Yes, they usually reflect what kind of person you are, but that doesn't mean you have to describe their wardrobe every day, down to the brands. This just shows that the author is shallow and reveals what they really care about.

The only thing I dissagree with in your essay (?) is the fact that a guy will only get a tattoo of his love's name if he's drunk. He could also be mentally disturbed. Or stupid, or beyond whipped. But I think the girl in Exhibit B already established that Greg was pretty damn stupid.
Scarletfire02 chapter 1 . 1/25/2012
Those were the best five minutes of my life. No joke. Thank you, Writing Guru.
LavenderConviction chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
I totally agree with you! It bothers me to no end when stories begin with the protagonist being woken up by their sibling/parent/alarm clock etc. My hopes for a story just drop when it starts like that. And, ohmygod, YES! The 'you' and 'you're' mix up is my biggest pet peeve. It just really bugs the hell out of me! It's not rocket science. I don't see why people have such a hard time remembering the difference.

I think this is a wonderful 'rant'(for the lack of a better word). I am writing my own story at the moment and i find this very helpful. I now know what i should avoid and what is should focus on to write a successful and well liked story.
SwimmingThroughExistance chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
Thanks:)
isn't chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
GASP LIKE NO WAY DID YOU JUST SAY THAT! O_O

Ha. Just kidding. I agree with you nearly to a T (nearly, because I tend to name drop sometimes). I can't count how many times I've clicked on a story with a summary that I purposely overlooked just because of the number of reviews on it, then wondered why it got so many reviews in the first place. The amount of good quality stories that are left in the cold corners of FP and are mentally replaced by the reader with lower quality clichés (read: "I've loved you since third grade" type romances) that are at the forefront of the "Just In" section is startling. Your essay (or rant or author empowerment speech or Occupy Fictionpress protest, whatever you want to call it) makes lovely sense. I shall be stalking your favorites list soon after I send this. :)
subtly.obvious chapter 1 . 11/20/2011
I know this is probably mean, but NAS's review below mine made me giggle.

I loved this. Seriously. And although i probably have quite a few grammatical mistakes that i overlooked in my own stories, the things you listed annoy me to know end when i'm reading. Especially if someone starts describing themselves. and the You're/your thing. I close the tab and move on to the next one.

Thanks for writing this! :)
not always sane chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
YES. I agree. and hell to the fucking ya. who in the hell decided that u should be used as a substitute for you? who! your writing a story not texting your boyfriend. makes me so angry. your rant was appreceated.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
Hi. This will probably bore you, and I really have no idea why I want you to read this, or why I'm even writing this, but please do take time to read my rant.

I was starting to lose faith in FictionPress. I thought it was becoming hopeless already, or at least the stories in it. Reasons? Well, like what you said, "incompetent authors" lurked around. I don't even understand how these people can manage to publish their works so carelessly and let the rest of the world witness their stupidity. Then the stories just keep getting more and more shallow to the point that my head hurts in frustration. I don't have any problem with light stories, but that's totally different from shallow, pointless ones.

I haven't visited FictionPress for a while until now, actually. If not for my friend who gave me the link to Opposite Sides of the Spectrum, I wouldn't even be writing this review. Or maybe I'd be uninterested in FictionPress for the rest of my existence. But that didn't happen because I read your story, and apparently, there is still hope for FP. Great one, by the way. I sort of teared up when Aaron cried in the classroom during that detention part and Matt seated beside her. Way to touch your readers.

Bottomline, thank you for keeping me interested in FP. I'm a desperate bookworm, but I'm not rich enough to buy every book that I fancy, so I take comfort in reading stories here. Nothing better than free reads. It's just a bit a disappointing. These authors sure have great ideas in their brains, but stories are just not that appealing when they're not well-written.

- Desperate Bookworm :)
Lalaland chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
I totally agree. I've seen this everywhere and it's nice to know that someone else sees it the same way. And...

Well, thanks. I do most of these things too and your little "story" here helped me out a lot. So, yeah, thanks.
Queen.Of.Cupcakes chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
This was amazing. You are totally right. I hate it when people write with chatspeak in a story. It makes me want to bang my head against a desk multiple times.(:
trippy.cat.girl chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
Review 200! )

Anyway, thanks for posting this! You wrote about things that I've wanted to whine and complain about for a while now (not that I don't do some of those things every so often, but still...)

So, I hope people take the time to read this and consider taking your advice and using some of your tips so they can become better writers and FP can have better stories :)
Yaleni chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
Uh...I love you?

I know quite a few authors on fictionpress write some type of guide on how to lure readers into a story, but I liked yours especially because:

1) It wasn't enormously long

2.) And you list all the common knowledge stuff that writers on fictionpress should not do.

Honestly, if people pay more attention to these simple kind of techniques, their story would probably be more than half decent.

I am done.

Your Girl chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
First off, THANK YOU. Thank you for taking a tactful approach to a problem that I normally react to with curse words aimed at my screen and angrily smacking the back button. However, I would have added the "there, their, they're" problem so many people seem to have. It's the one that gets me the most. I never quite get how some people can be satisfied with their writing when it looks like this. They obviously enjoy writing, so why not improve? Well, anyway, thanks again for the tips. I'll keep it all in mind.

Sincerely, Y.G.
SpawnMeister666 chapter 1 . 7/6/2011
So many of the things you mention here are the reason this site mainly consists of writers who appear to be 12 years old with no idea of what they are doing.

There are some very good writers knocking around on this site, but they are few and far between, and getting much harder to find by the day. Mainly because as people grow as writers they look for somewhere else to publish their work.

I think I am one of the few remaining dinosaurs that still uses the site as it was one of the first places I discovered where I could get feedback on my stories. I don't seem to get any these days, because my former constant readers all seem to have jumped overboard...

And yet I still find myself coming back here, looking for those nuggets of excellence amongst the dross!

Spawny