Reviews for The Mark of Thorn: Book of Scars
meant2Bmatched chapter 12 . 2/2/2008
so hendrik is the big bad wolf? wow, never saw that comin. tho i did have my suspicions when he went off to eat that bat guy.

lol. poor gabe. hes stuck with the girl...and speaking of girls, is gabe's long lost love cornelia? hmm, i mite have a better clue if i knew who gabe was...i realli don't know! but i suppose 2 outta 3 ain't bad (that is if im rite about hendrik!) I don't think Joanna is a character out of Grimm's but i suppose i'll find out sooner or later.

keep up your excellent work! this story is different from your other ones but i believe its the best, like i have said before. i always look forward to your updates!

later.
Pen'NInk chapter 12 . 2/1/2008
I guess my Big Bad Wolf theory wasn't so far off track after all.

I have the vague impression that Joanna will eventually annoy the hell out of me-playing at the damsel in distress. Knowing you, though, she may evolve into some fantastic, engaging character. But for right now, she's a little obnoxious (or perhaps I'm just having a bad day. This is also very plausible).

Diego's bit about his boots was fantastic. It made my bad day slightly less bad. I was even on the brink of cooing.

Sorry for the stoic and short review. I'm swamped with editing and college papers at the moment, so my brain is SMOOSHY. My articulation has dropped to negative levels. I promise I'll give a much more engaging, enthusiastic, helpful review next time.

Crankily,

-Ink
Satar chapter 12 . 1/31/2008
this was a great chapter! hendrik finally shows himself, though im curious as to who his father is? will that become important later on in the story? i think his father maybe a sorcerer like that sev guy, thats the only way i think of in which a demi-human could become fully human and vise-vera its seems as if a spell was put on cant wait til the next chapter im assuming cornelia finally meets up with the rest of the group, though im most curious of how she will react to gabriel, since it seems those two have a connection.
nefarious nature chapter 11 . 1/30/2008
A lovely and grotesque scene.I was wincing while reading the scene where Sevy stabs his heart, takes out his eyes, and chops off his hand. I just love how you're not afraid to delve into the dark and ugly part of storytelling. And thank you so much for updating so frequently!
meant2Bmatched chapter 11 . 1/30/2008
amazing. i could not believe wat i was reading. i was so not expecting THAT to happen.

i don't believe i have ever had the honor to read such twisted scene. how do u come up with this stuff. you cerainly have a way with keeping your readers on edge. masterful. genius.

i await your next installment for this tale with bated breath. this story is quite possibly my most favorite one of all your tales. and that says something. i have read all your works under this pen name. i have even skimmed through the novel you were (or are) trying to get published.

mark of thorns is my favorite. continue it. from reader's (as well as a major fan's)perspective, you are definetly on the right track.
Pen'NInk chapter 11 . 1/30/2008
Well, that was decently putrid. Despite however wince-inducing, stomach-turning that scene was, it was done beautifully, if such a word can be applied to the grotesque act. It wasn't too overdone with gore or violence-just enough with a lacing of intrigue to keep the reader from both vomiting and closing the page. No easy feat, dear.

The plot is unfurling wonderfully-conflict maturing, protagonists clearly stepping forth, action beginning to rise... All the trappings of a bona fide fairy tale.

There's something that niggles at my mind that Cornelia may in fact be Rapunzel-I feel quite sure that her fate is closely entwined with Gabriel's, perhaps even if she's not.

Something has been bothering me a bit, though. Severienus... Is it mere coincidence that his name sounds so alike to Harry Potter's slippery wizard Severus?
Satar chapter 11 . 1/29/2008
that was pretty graphic lol! but the powers he gave to cornelia sound pretty cool, though her debt to him sounds really harsh, i wonder what he will make her do...
Pen'NInk chapter 10 . 1/29/2008
Good stuff. We have major conflict introduced and hints of rising action, starting to get into the real "meat" of the story. You handled it well! Not to mention how satistfying it was to finally get a peek under Cornelia's skin.

I'm still envious how smoothly and consistently you make character introductions, plot bumps, and dialogue flow.
maidengarnet chapter 10 . 1/28/2008
The plot thickens... creepy dude, that. Dare I ask what it is he's going to want from her? (actually, I think I just did ask...)
nefarious nature chapter 10 . 1/28/2008
E! More! More! MORE! Is Cornelia Rupunzel? Is Gabriel one of the three? Ah! I can't take it!
Pen'NInk chapter 9 . 1/27/2008
Oh God, there's so much I love about this chapter. I can understand now why you're particularly fond of the 8/9 piece-together, they're fantastic.

There's a lot of fine details in this, tiny touches that may not seem like much, but make a world of difference. My personal favorites were "frightfully awful haircut", "enjoying the sound of his own boots against the floor", "crossing his arms like some accusing housewife might have done", among so many others (which, if I took the time to quote all of them, would leave me copying and pasting the entire story into this decidedly small little review box).

Characterization and dialogue are heavy within this chapter and both elements are done brilliantly with your haunting, yet witty, touch.

Perhaps it's just me, but does Joanna seem to resemble the flighty idealistic Joanna of Sweeney Todd reknown? And I'm convinced Hendrik is a demi-human of some sort-not particularly sure what kind of creature he would be, of course, but obviously the man(?) isn't human. I can't wait to read over a few more chapters so I can work his puzzle out.

Lovely, darling.

-Ink
Satar chapter 9 . 1/26/2008
i happen to find myself liking the character of joanna, she's a nice breath of fresh air from the angst of the other characters, nice to see someone who still naive and optimistic, well i guess it remains to be seen if she remains so or not..i hope she doesnt get killed off or anything!
meant2Bmatched chapter 9 . 1/26/2008
Another travelling companion? this girl could possibly be a mistake to bring along. she might be no good at walking through a forest with a the roots and wat not... but is the girl a grimm character? i don't recognize her but the red hair stands out. but darnit all i can think of is the little mermaid-_-'

*sigh* i don't know grimms...
Satar chapter 8 . 1/25/2008
great story so far, very interesting and i love how you mixed up a bunch of fairy tales into one, as for the characters and which fairy tale they belong to for soem reason im leaning towards sleeping beauty for gabriel, just for that "thorns" comment, but im honestly clueless about hendrik, the only grim fairy-tale i can think of is maybe little red riding hood?

anyway its very entertaining to figure out all the characters., im thinking that cecilia must be gabriels wife, since she had green eyes, not much of a solid reason but it was the only connection i could think of! cant wait for the next chapter!
H.A. Blair chapter 8 . 1/25/2008
Very nice. And I have to say I'm agreeing with the belief that Gabriel was Rapunzel's prince. It makes a good bit of sense. As for the creature at the end of this chapter... Was it Hendrik?
124 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »